• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is "bitter bite" safe?

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Unfortunately the info on the net that says rabbits don't eat lavender and rosemary has not been read by the buns here, so I now have a lot of chewed stalks....:roll: Would it be safe to spray the plants with the non toxic dog/cat product "bitter bite" to deter chewing? :?

Unfortunately the info on the net that says rabbits don't eat lavender and rosemary has not been read by the buns here, so I now have a lot of chewed stalks....:roll: Would it be safe to spray the plants with the non toxic dog/cat product "bitter bite" to deter chewing? :?

I wouldn't use any chemicals - whether they say safe/non-toxic or not - where bunnies have access.
I always err on the side of safety and consider it not worth the risk.

I wouldnt, there is Grannicks bitter apple spray that should be safe though, although some animals just continue regardless. Remember anything you put on the plants may damage them too.

I wouldn't use any chemicals - whether they say safe/non-toxic or not - where bunnies have access.
I always err on the side of safety and consider it not worth the risk.

I tend not to put anything on either. Mind you I don't have a garden left :lol: Now I just have pots of herbs and said "there you go" and they don't last long :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It shouldn't be toxic but may not be very effective: some rabbits quite like bitter tastes. You could try it on a small area and see if it works though.
My rabbits devour lavender and rosemary too. Only really old, woody plants seem to survive xx

Before I joined this forum I had big problems with Misty-bun chewing the inside of the wendyhouse (we then learnt how to protect it!) and we used bitter apple spray, and to be honest it had little effect!

I gave Snowy a small bit of bread crust this morning, she wolfed it down. I read in a book it was safe, can anyone confirm? She only had a bit!

I gave Snowy a small bit of bread crust this morning, she wolfed it down. I read in a book it was safe, can anyone confirm? She only had a bit!

It is safe, but its not very healthy. Good for when you need to get medication into a bun, or when a bun is struggling to gain weight, but otherwise I wouldnt give it except maybe a tiny bit as a very very occasional treat.

It is safe, but its not very healthy. Good for when you need to get medication into a bun, or when a bun is struggling to gain weight, but otherwise I wouldnt give it except maybe a tiny bit as a very very occasional treat.

she's never had it before and it was a small amount:oops:

:lol: I dont know why the buns didnt read that info!:lol: Mine go mad for both - however....I have huge established bushed in the garden and they dont really bother when they are free ranging...BUT if I pick it and put it in their hutches...they will eat it!:?:p

Could you just put a roll of wire or something tubular over it to give it a chance to establish itself?

Lemon balm is another great plant to dry for winter...but you need to contain it as the roots go deep and you can never move it again!:roll::p

How are all the buns doing? was just thinking about you the other day!?
Archies doing wonderfully...he often has free range days out when IM home...otherwise every evening he is hopping about my feet asking for a treat....:lol:...he usually get some dried plants or sometimes a grape! I hide the food everywhere and he goes mad looking all over the place...he is quite a smart bunny boy....if I point towards an area..he will run there to find the food!:lol: The girls are wonderful...as cute as ever but Ive yet to sort out their bond ...they each get swopped overevery night and seem to enjoy their time with Archie as well as by themselves...but I will get it sorted. But all very happy bunnies!:love:

she's never had it before and it was a small amount:oops:

Id not give my rabbits bread unless they needed medication or needed to gain weight and it was the last attempt.
Buns should be given hay, grass and wild foraged plants..thats their diet in the wild and even if they dance in circles begging for sweet treats etc ..its really doesn their little bodies no good at all.

Mine dance in cricles for handfuls of fresh hay, dried willow, roemary, apple leaves and branches, hawthorn and rose petals...also holly hock leaves and rose peaves...all these can be dried and are a great addition to give variation to their diets....plus its a healthy treat for them. Try and not give your bunny anything thats market produced...eveb if they wolf it down...they dont know any better and might become very ill later.

Best to keep treats and any foods given as nautural to their wildie friends diets as possible...this will ensure good weight, good teeth and a great digestive system! ;):wave:

Thank you all. :wave:

Have planted the rosemary but fenced it off - the lavender may have to go elsewhere...

The buns are fine thank you, Chelle. :D Glad to hear Archie and the girls are still happy. The buns love the heat they stay flopped out all the time but make up for it once it cools down. Except Scamper who has mastered the art of grazing while lying down..... :shock:

Back