• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxo/VHD Vacs!

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
I've just called the vets and they are charging £48 per rabbit for the combined vacs. Am I right in thinking that this is a little expensive?

Not if you're in London I wouldn't think, it was £35 up here in sunny Leicester!

Unsure really. Mine are £20 per vac per bun so if it was that price up here I would probably stick with separate vacs

As Cari says though, depends on the area

I've just called the vets and they are charging £48 per rabbit for the combined vacs. Am I right in thinking that this is a little expensive?

It kind of is

xxx

If one vacc was 20 pounds [my vets charged 23, but as an example I'll use 20]

2 Myxo a year + 1 VHD = 60 pounds a year for one rabbit, this money goes to the vets

If they charged the same price of one vac for the combined vac they'd lose 40 pounds

If they charge 40 pounds [like my vet] they lose 20 pounds but gain double of one vac

So you have to understand from a vets pov too.

xxx

A new practice opened up near me and they charge 12.50 for the combined vaccination on special offer, per bun. After the offer ends, it'll be 25 pounds per bun.
Maybe you could travel there if I pm you the details ?

It kind of is
If one vacc was 20 pounds [my vets charged 23, but as an example I'll use 20]

2 Myxo a year + 1 VHD = 60 pounds a year for one rabbit, this money goes to the vets

If they charged the same price of one vac for the combined vac they'd lose 40 pounds

If they charge 40 pounds [like my vet] they lose 20 pounds but gain double of one vac

So you have to understand from a vets pov too.

I don't think you can use comparing the 3 individual vaccinations to work out of the new vaccination is a good price or not. With the previous vaccination system the vet would be using 3 appointments and doing 3 health checks (albiet if 2 vaccs are only 2 weeks apart the 2nd health check might not be as thorough). They can't think about it purely in terms of what they "make" now per rabbit and expect to keep that income as they only use 1/3 of the time.

£48 does sound pretty expensive, I would pay either £30 or £38 depending on which vets I use but as someone else has suggested yours could be London prices.

I pay£45 at mine so pretty much the same. Mine is vets4pets I do think vets4pets are overpriced however I like them and am impressed with their service and care

Ruthie xxx

Thanks guys. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and pay what they are charging :) I don't know why I thought it would be a little cheaper.

We got ours for £24.99 for each rabbit . Having five rabbits wanted to shop around and with a cat that may have a tumour every penny counts .

Back