• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leo's got a tumour vet reckons 4 weeks left

alisont

Mama Doe
Leo my elderly bunny tagged along with the guineas for a check up today, he has been a lot better recently, snuffles appear under control as in gone, his eyes seem free from infection and he's needed less metacam for his arthritis. What I has picked up on was what another vet 4 weeks ago said was a prominent kidney.

The senior vet whos an exotics vet and has been very good with Leo, felt the area and said no it was not good it was a tumour - he did a fine needle biopsy to rule out an abscess - no pus came out and under the microscope he saw the cells and has made a definite diagnosis of a mass, I forget the type but he said a fibrous something?

He said it is more on Leo's outer wall not as internal that it will push into his main organs but he feels this will grow very rapidly and will turn into a huge mass and will spread internally, eventually Leo will need to be PTS.

At the moment he says it's not causing Leo any pain, it will when it gets a lot bigger and would eventually push and break the skin.

He feels Leo will let me know when he's had enough, he will be tired all the time, and will stop eating and drinking, he thinks I'll just know when it's time.

It's very sad this, has upset me a lot - Leo's been through so many chest infections/snuffles/phnumonia and has fought all of them, I honestly thought it would be an infection that got him finally it a tumour.

Vet feels he's got about a month to go, I'm off work for a month so can be here for him more which is good. I'll be giving him metacam as needed and just monitoring him.

I hope he does not suffer and goes peacefully in his sleep I do dread taking him to be PTS but just hope I do know when the time is for that.

Very sad this:cry:

Thanks everyone, it is sad news and hes fought through so much recently but it always comes as a shock.

Yes that was it Fibrosarcoma - I was holding Leo and had 2 guineas with me so could not take any notes!

Has anyone had rabbits with Fibrosarcoma? Just wondering if it will be 4 weeks - vet reckons it will be he thinks one day Leo will tell me hes had enough and I'll just know.

Thanks everyone, it is sad news and hes fought through so much recently but it always comes as a shock.

Yes that was it Fibrosarcoma - I was holding Leo and had 2 guineas with me so could not take any notes!

Has anyone had rabbits with Fibrosarcoma? Just wondering if it will be 4 weeks - vet reckons it will be he thinks one day Leo will tell me hes had enough and I'll just know.

Yes, I have had a Rabbit with a Fibrosarcoma in his mouth. The tumours themselves tend to remain contained-ie they do not spread to other organs. But they are relatively fast growing. My Rabbit had 2 surgical procedures to remove the tumour, but each time it grew back after a couple of months. I opted not to put him through a third operation as the same thing would have happened a few weeks down the line.

Depending on the exact location of the tumour it may be that it will not cause a real problem for some time. But as my Rabbit's tumour was in his mouth it was obviously a significant issue as it grew bigger.

As I understand it the tumour itself is not painful as such. The real problem is what issues it may create as it gets bigger.

Thanks Leo's tumor is if he is sat on my lap facing away from me it's his right side about 2/3 of the way dow his body. It started as an egg shape and felt hard to touch, its now growing and within a week I can feel another area that's linked to it. I'm not aware it's causing him pain.

He's on metacam for arthritis.

The vets saying it will grow pretty rapidly, it's growing outwards not inwards so may avoid the organs but eventually it will get to big for him to be comfy with and will run the risk of it breaking the skin. There could also be other growths that we don't know about. Vet does not see the point in xray as they would have to sedate Leo and he would be stressed and with his age and health any sedation is high risk. He said it wont help Leo only let us understand more but leo is not up to surgery/GA age and health wise.

Leo is a fighter but think this will beat him in time, vet said a month could be less. He said I will know when it's time.

I've noticed some tiny changes recently - Leo is less interested in his pellet dry food (Excel adult rabbit) he's still eating his greens and still loves his stale bread or a scone as a treat and is eating his hay. He's not drinking as much as he use to and when I cleaned the hutch today the newspaper under the hemp bedding and hay was dry, so he's not weeing as much. He's also sleeping more and deeper. If he goes in his run he just sits in the nest box or by the door.

He is still ok at the moment and eating and enjoying a bit of fuss (he's never liked too much fuss and cuddles)
I'm very glad I'm off work until the bank holiday so i can monitor him and spend time with him.

I don't know what to say, except I am very sorry you've had such bad news about Leo. Keep strong for him.

Thanks Leo's tumor is if he is sat on my lap facing away from me it's his right side about 2/3 of the way dow his body. It started as an egg shape and felt hard to touch, its now growing and within a week I can feel another area that's linked to it. I'm not aware it's causing him pain.

He's on metacam for arthritis.

The vets saying it will grow pretty rapidly, it's growing outwards not inwards so may avoid the organs but eventually it will get to big for him to be comfy with and will run the risk of it breaking the skin. There could also be other growths that we don't know about. Vet does not see the point in xray as they would have to sedate Leo and he would be stressed and with his age and health any sedation is high risk. He said it wont help Leo only let us understand more but leo is not up to surgery/GA age and health wise.

Leo is a fighter but think this will beat him in time, vet said a month could be less. He said I will know when it's time.

I've noticed some tiny changes recently - Leo is less interested in his pellet dry food (Excel adult rabbit) he's still eating his greens and still loves his stale bread or a scone as a treat and is eating his hay. He's not drinking as much as he use to and when I cleaned the hutch today the newspaper under the hemp bedding and hay was dry, so he's not weeing as much. He's also sleeping more and deeper. If he goes in his run he just sits in the nest box or by the door.

He is still ok at the moment and eating and enjoying a bit of fuss (he's never liked too much fuss and cuddles)
I'm very glad I'm off work until the bank holiday so i can monitor him and spend time with him.

I think he will benefit most from the TLC you are giving. I am sure he feels secure and very much loved.

I am so sorry to read this today Alison, I am so sorry for you and for Leo. :cry:

Thinking of you both and hoping he can make the most of your time off with him. Bless his soul, he has fought so bravely.

Will be thinking of you and my inbox is open if you ever need a chat. xx

Thanks everyone Leo's doing ok, the mass is growing and quickly I can feel it and it's now got other bits spreading off the main egg sized bit from what I can feel.

Leo in himself is not very interested in anything at the moment, he's better today yesterday he was not wanting food yesterday and was turning away from me and when I put him in his run he just sat in the nest box - he never sits in there and was wanting I think to return to his hutch. All he ate yesterday was of all things 1 digestive biscuit.

Today he did move forward to greet me and did not want food but did chin the food and my hand, a sign of affection from Leo.

He's had a small bit of kale today and his hay and a bit of dry mix. He's not drinking a lot and his toilet area is not very wet.

I'll get him in later see how he is, yesterday was depressing as I felt he had given up and was not interested in anything, today he's a little better and showing interest and is sat up more.

Very much one day at a time at the moment...

He's just been in and has been hopping up and down the hall and playing with a brolly that was drying in the hall, chinning it, he was having a wash and has gone back now and is eating kale and dandelions - most chirpy I've seen Leo in ages!!!

He's just been in and has been hopping up and down the hall and playing with a brolly that was drying in the hall, chinning it, he was having a wash and has gone back now and is eating kale and dandelions - most chirpy I've seen Leo in ages!!!

Brilliant :D

Sorry to hear about Leo.

Hope he has more good days than bad, I'm sure you will treasure them, also good you are off work so you can keep a close eye on him.

Leo continues to suprise me considering how ill he is meant to be.

He is eating lots, drinking well, showing interest in things and is showing no signs of his arthritis either.

I wonder how long this will last but enjoying the fact he is feeling so well or acting it at the moment.

He now has 2 lumps joined in that area both feel about egg size - vet seemd to think he had a month tops but if his fighting spirit continues I think it might be longer and as long as he is happy and eating I'll be doing everything to keep him going as long as he can:D

(realistically I am very aware this could change very quickly but am keeping positive for him at the mo and have accepted that he might go anytime but each extra day we have is great)

Leo continues to suprise me considering how ill he is meant to be.

He is eating lots, drinking well, showing interest in things and is showing no signs of his arthritis either.

I wonder how long this will last but enjoying the fact he is feeling so well or acting it at the moment.

He now has 2 lumps joined in that area both feel about egg size - vet seemd to think he had a month tops but if his fighting spirit continues I think it might be longer and as long as he is happy and eating I'll be doing everything to keep him going as long as he can:D

(realistically I am very aware this could change very quickly but am keeping positive for him at the mo and have accepted that he might go anytime but each extra day we have is great)

So sorry to hear about your bunny :-( my thoughts are with you.

All animals will tell their owners when it's time.

I had to take my cat to the vets to be put asleep as he had hyper thyroid disease, which was getting worse each week, although my cat was still eating he was losing weight, kept going in his litter tray a lot during the day and during the night plus he was eating and drinking a lot more than usual. Then over the Easter bank holiday weekend he took a turn for the worse, he kept being sick and wasn't himself either. Plus he wanted more fuss than usual.
I could see it in his eyes that he had had enough, his eyes said it all to me, the decision was made for me, he was telling me with his eyes that he has had enough and I knew I made the right decision to take him up to the vets to be put asleep. I am glad I was there with him to the end, when he took his last breath.
Even now I still say goodnight Smudge. Still miss him terribly though.

All you have to do is take one day at a time and give your bunny love and make a fuss of him. That is what I did with my cat xx

Back