• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help! UD Juniper is Gone :(

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
Juni has been unwell for a couple of weeks. She lost a lot of weight very rapidly and was taken to the vets. She also had been peeing and drinking a lot and had urine soaked into her. The vet noticed spurs on her molars and she had a dental. They also found a loose molar when she was under GA so they removed her tooth too. The operation was on Friday and I was warned that she might take a week to perk up, but she has kept deteriorating.

Yesterday she took a turn for the worst. She hasn't moved since last night, she wont even drink so I've had to syringe water into her mouth and she's only eating when I hand feed her (mushed banana or porridge oats mixed with recovery diet). Yesterday she at least took the mush off the spoon but this morning she wouldn't even do that, I had to place bits of it in her mouth before she'd eat :cry: :cry: She isn't bothering walking to the litter tray so is sat in her pee. I feel heartbroken.

She has been doing a few very small dry poos and also sometimes passes a clump of dry poo surrounded by lots of very sticky mucous. I have been cleaning them out of her fur as they stick to her.

She's going to the vets as soon as they open this morning but I am so worried for her. Does anyone have any advice at all :(

Last edited:
I would be getting her to an EMERGENCY vet, not waiting for your normal vet to open, although admittedly, they should now be open. Get her in a carrier and get to the vet for when they open and ask her to be seen as an emergency, not sit and wait in the waiting room.

When did she last see a vet?

She sounds very poorly indeed.

Vibes for Juniper.

I hope she pulls through, you must be beside yourself with worry. Sorry I can't offer any advice, only lots & lots of vibes for your bunny xxx

Sorry to hear that Juniper isn't feeling well;( Did your vets checked her blood? How old is she? If she's an old rabbit it might be that she has a renal failure, especially when you said that she drinks a lot and lost some weight. Please update us how it goes. Vibes for Juniper.

Am very sorry to hear your bun is so poorly. If she is drinking and peeing a lot, plus the sudden weight loss, I would be concerned about kidney problems and would talk to the vet about this. They can do blood and urine tests to see if the kidneys are functioning as they should be. I hope they help her and she is soon on the road to recovery, bless her. xxx

Thanks a lot for the replies, I just got back from the vets.

She hadn't been seen since friday however her 'off' behaviour was easily expalined by her operation and she was eating and relatively alert until last night. On your advice I went straight in and saw the vet as soon as he turned up.

She is in stasis which I was expecting tbh, the vet thinks it is because she had her molar removed and is taking a while to get back to normal after the op. Her mouth does still look very uncomfortable when she chews. He gave her a lot of fluids sub-cutaneously as she was dehydrated, and gave her an injection to help get her digestive system working again. I'm taking her back this afternoon for the same treatment again and trying to get food down her in between now and then. I was given a better syringe to give her recovery diet with and it's really helping me get it down her.

The vet is also worried that there might be something else going on too. She seems very wobbly when she's walking and she is also urinating a lot more than usual. I have her on panacure just in case it's EC. He wants to get the stasis under control first and then we're having her brought in for more tests. I checked her urine myself with a pee stick and it said there was protein in her wee so I'm worried about her kidneys (Obviously the vet will do a more in-depth check when she's less poorly). My poor girl :cry:

Last edited:
Im really sorry youre both going through this.Sounds really worrying.Sending hope and vibes.xxx

Last year when one of my buns teeth "fell out" during a dental he took much longer to recover and would not eat for about 5 days. They were very limited on the amount of metacam they told me to give him and now I know that they can have more than this. Yes, there is a risk with higher doses but sometime it is a catch 22. I always try to make sure they get plenty of fluids when on metacam too.

Do you have some Oxbow critical care, I found that this was invaluable as it is easier to syringe than others and they seem to take them more willingly. I get mine from vetsuk or your vet may be able to provide you with some (if you ring they may do next day or your vet should be able to get some in next day for you) A smooth syringe also helps so it is not "jerky" going into their little mouths.

Sending vibes. I also find that some of the stronger smelling herbs tempt them to eat e.g. thyme, coriander and also some blackberry leaves if you have/can find any.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot everyone,

She is on pain meds (loxicom not metacam but apparently it's the same drug) and is on the highest dosage possible.

She's on 'Supreme Science Recovery' which was proving quite difficult to get into her, but they've given me a hand feeding syringe which is so much easier and she's actually eating quite a lot of it. I will look into getting some oxbow too as anything to help her eat can only be a good thing.

I'm trying her with some parsley in a minute and am planning to raid the garden for som bramble leaves. She does want to eat fresh food a lot of the time but starts chewing it and then stops because of the discomfort...

One thing I've noticed is that her legs keep sliding out from under her, as if she cant support her own weight :(

I was wondering about EC too as it can affect the kidneys/bladder and also has neurological effects. Has the vet taken a blood sample for this? How long has she got Panacur for?

Really hope she can come through this. Sending lots and lots of vibes for poor Juniper.

She's bleeding from her mouth :cry: :cry: What does thsi mean! I'm taking her to the vets but I have to go to the main hospital and it's over half an hour away. Oh god I'm panicking

Thanks a lot everyone,

She is on pain meds (loxicom not metacam but apparently it's the same drug) and is on the highest dosage possible.

She's on 'Supreme Science Recovery' which was proving quite difficult to get into her, but they've given me a hand feeding syringe which is so much easier and she's actually eating quite a lot of it. I will look into getting some oxbow too as anything to help her eat can only be a good thing.

I'm trying her with some parsley in a minute and am planning to raid the garden for som bramble leaves. She does want to eat fresh food a lot of the time but starts chewing it and then stops because of the discomfort...

One thing I've noticed is that her legs keep sliding out from under her, as if she cant support her own weight :(

Did the Vet not suggest admitting her for intensive care and also to run a full blood profile to check her major organ function ? All you describe, both prior to and after the Dental, sounds as though her Kidney function may not be great.

Maybe she has an infection from where the tooth was removed? Either way, like Graham says, get her straight back to your vets. Sending lots and lots of vibes. Come on Juniper! :(

Back