• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you know when it is time to let them go?

DDD

Mama Doe
Just asking for general advice of course my rabbits will see a vet.

Desmond has recovered from fly strike, but is still incontinent of urine due to EC last year. This means that he is at a great risk of getting flystrike again. His back end doesn't really work properly, one of his legs is a but lame, but he is still happy, eats well, happy to see me etc, but his quality of life isn't great as he is no longer in his luxury shed, but indoors. Sometimes now he lies on his side and cannot get back up without help. He is 5-6 so not majorly old for a rabbit, but still had a good life for these years.
Douglas is his brother, he is now showing signs of EC which I will treat, but when is enough enough and time to day goodbye? I'd much rather them be put to sleep than string out their illnesses as this is the way I am.

I know no-one can tell me the answer but just wanted some opinions. This isn't to do with money/ vets bills etc, it is because I am aware that animals have the choice to die happy.

Hello. I'm not sure I can help but your post has been unanswered so didn't want to read and run. I have always thought that you know when it's time. I've always felt this with rats and cats but haven't been in that position with a bun.
I think only the owner can judge the quality of life so it's only you that can weigh up whether what they have is worth it. Sorry to be so unhelpful, I would hate to be in that situation and really feel for you.
Hopefully a more experienced member will post shortly.

Just asking for general advice of course my rabbits will see a vet.

Desmond has recovered from fly strike, but is still incontinent of urine due to EC last year. This means that he is at a great risk of getting flystrike again. His back end doesn't really work properly, one of his legs is a but lame, but he is still happy, eats well, happy to see me etc, but his quality of life isn't great as he is no longer in his luxury shed, but indoors. Sometimes now he lies on his side and cannot get back up without help. He is 5-6 so not majorly old for a rabbit, but still had a good life for these years.
Douglas is his brother, he is now showing signs of EC which I will treat, but when is enough enough and time to day goodbye? I'd much rather them be put to sleep than string out their illnesses as this is the way I am.

I know no-one can tell me the answer but just wanted some opinions. This isn't to do with money/ vets bills etc, it is because I am aware that animals have the choice to die happy.

When this changes. When you feel he's lost that spark, that zest for life, when the problems/bad times start outnumbering the good times. You will know.

I'm pleased to here he's doing well :love:. I was really rooting for him during his flystrike. He sounds like a fighter :thumb:

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about Desmond.:(

Many years ago I had a bunny called Barnaby who was at least 11 years old. He was a rescue bunny so very difficult to determine his exact age.

He ate, drank, weed and pooed really well for such an old fella. He did have age related problems though. Rather incontinent and his back legs starting failing. I helped him keep himself clean and all in all he was a very contented bunny. He did sleep alot, but that is only to be expected.

There were quite a few days when I thought it was time for him to leave this world, only to find him an hour or so later bright eyed and enjoying life.

THE day did come when he had lost the sparkle in his eyes and I could sense that it was his time to leave us.

Later on that day I did my final kindess for him and he was pts. All very quick and painless.:cry:

What I trying to say is that if you know Desmond well, you will sense when he is ready to go.

Never an easy decision but usually the right one.

Fingers crossed that you haven't got to make such a decision in the near future.

Take care. x

Last edited:
I can only echo what others have said. I haven't had to make the decision about a bun, but I have about a cat.

All I can say is, you just know. They lose that fight and sparkle that they've always had. My cat seemed to be asking me to do something. So, I did the kindest thing possible - I had him pts. It really is the final kindness and is quick and peaceful in my experience.

Let's hope Desmond has a little longer left.

Why are animals so heartbreaking? I feel so upset about Desmond and Douglas. Desmond has lost the use of one of his back legs, is still incontinent, and sometimes can't upright himself, but he is still eating, happy to see me etc. I have put them back in their shed today so they had more room, but they haven't got access to outside. Douglas now has full blown head tilt, and is a bit wobbly but coping well. I just took them out some veggies etc, and Desmond was lying down unable/ unwilling to get himself up. I am treating them both with panacur, and hope I am doing the right thing. I fed Desmond some water in case he hadn't gotten to his bowl, but he didn't take much. I put him upright to check he wasn't completely lame, and he started moving around and didn't fall over. I hope I am not keeping them alive for 'my' sake. I am going to book a vets appointment tomorrow, and really hope my vet is back to work. She doesn't believe in PTS unless really strong reason so I know she will tell me the truth. I am in tears as my bunnies make me so happy, and they are so cute.

Back