• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Underweight Bunny?

ZippysGal

New Kit
Hey Guys!!

So I'm new on this forum...But I have a question that has been bothering me for a while.

I have a 6 year old rabbit that I think might be underweight. (I know that 6 years is really old...And being underweight could be a serious problem. That's why I'm asking.) I got her a long time ago, and I was never told what breed she is. I am pretty sure she's either a Holland Lop or a Mini Lop. Or she might be a combination of both. Or she might just be a mutt.
Basically, I can't visually see any bones when you look at her, but when you touch her, you can feel her shoulder blades, the top of her spine, her hips and her ribs. I'm just wondering if that's okay. I don't really have a way to weigh her, and like I said, I'm not completely sure about her breed. Last year I brought her to a 4-H meeting and they told me she was a tad overweight but because of her age it was probably ok. I haven't changed her food since then, But I'm just worried about her. Is there a way to know if she's under/over weight without weighing her?

Thanks!

ZippysGal

I'm pretty sure a Holland Lop is what the Americans tend to call what we in the UK call a Mini Lop so she could well actually be both! That wouldn't help a great deal anyway as her ideal weight could still be anything between about 1kg and 2.2kg.

6 years isn't "really old" - it's kind of middle age/senior but definitely not old for most breeds.

I can't remember what the recommended way of checking weight is but *I think* you should be able to feel the spine but not the ribs. My advice, if you are worried about her would be to have her health checked by a vet, if she has lost weight it would be a good idea to have her teeth looked at in particular.

Weight isn't really a helpful indicator by itself, unless you already know what your own bunny's optimum weight is - even bunnies of the same breed can vary considerably so what's ideal for one isn't necessarily ideal for another.

There are a couple of links which may help you to decide but, if you're in any doubt, then I agree with the previous poster that it wouldn't hurt to get your vet to assess for you.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROSpring10-Bodyconditionscore.pdf
http://www.pfma.org.uk/petometer.html

And one here with pics of real bunnies:
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-weight.asp

All say that, for a bunny of ideal weight, you should be able to feel the pelvis and ribs but they should feel rounded, not sharp - the first link likens them to a pocket full of pens.

I would recommend a visit to the vet to have her checked out (particularly her teeth).

Although six probably used to be considered old (due to poor diet, lack of knowledge/vet check-ups, lack of vaccinations and not being neutered), these days it is really only middle-aged.

Is your rabbit neutered?

Yes she is Neutered. Thanks for all the links and stuff. It's seems like I should be able to figure it out with what you gave me. I'm also happy to hear that 6 years really isn't considered that old any more. :D

Thanks!

Kaylee

Back