• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

may i just ask a quick question

sweetdove

New Kit
I found this site other week and i saw a post of someone who had 30 indoor rabbits kept in cages. I just wondered how she could aford to get them all their jabs. I worked it out at over £500 every 6 months not to talk about the other Jab they need yearly. plus the quality time they need each day for hugs and snuggles. I have 4 and i just have time to snuggle them all and chat away to them. I am just wondering is all I would love to have more but don't think it would be fair on the others. :(

As Georgey said there are a few people with multiple rabbits on here and sanctuaries with several permanent bunnies. Some have discounts or agreements with their vets, sanctuaries are lucky and have some fundraising done for them and some just have no money because they have rabbits :D

as above, many members have large numbers of rabbits, they still get quality of care and vet treatment, and it doesn;t mean they are locked in cages, many members have them in large enclosures and still let them have time outside supervised :wave:

Just echoing what everyone else has said really. Some people dedicate their whole lives to their rabbits, going without other things so the bunnies get all the care they need.

I have 11 which is my absolute limit. All are outdoors, all are in at least 42 sq ft of permanent space and those that are on concrete have separate runs for grass time when the weather is ok. I buy nothing but bunny veg/ food and their vet's bills out of my salary and my petrol to get me to work. I don't feel the need to spend lots of time with them - twice dailly for checks, feeding and where necessary putting them in runs - as I believe in them having company of their own kind as more important than my company. I know each of their favourite foods, I can tell if something is not right and I never leave them for more than a few nights with hubby looking after the, I never go on holiday; I hardly ever buy things for me (I collect bears so the occasional teddy) and I don't really mind. I am not obsessed with them; I care about them and give them what I can but I have them to give them the best life I can within my means and within the 'rules' we laid out. I would never have a house rabbit as buns for me are outdoors and the dogs indoors. It really depends on space and how you perceive them to an extent. I was fortunate enough to have a disused stable and the 'set ups' grew from there. (hutch and run combos int here, plus a dog kennel I bought a few years later). I built my rabbit 'empire' up gradually - i didn't go from 2 to 11 immediately - and stopped when I reached a balance and situation where getting any more would mean buying a whole new enclosure....

As well as what everyone else has said about costs, I thought I'd add that most rabbits really don't need "hugs and snuggles". In fact, mine would hate that. So long as all their basic needs are being met most rabbits would be quite content with no human interaction at all.

I found this site other week and i saw a post of someone who had 30 indoor rabbits kept in cages. I just wondered how she could aford to get them all their jabs. I worked it out at over £500 every 6 months not to talk about the other Jab they need yearly. plus the quality time they need each day for hugs and snuggles. I have 4 and i just have time to snuggle them all and chat away to them. I am just wondering is all I would love to have more but don't think it would be fair on the others. :(

its the difference between rabbits being part of your life and rabbits being your life.

can't help but feel an undercurrent of criticism from your post - wondering, but wondering in a 'these rabbits can't be being looked after properly' way. stick around, you'll find out that a great deal of love and care is given by those with multiple bunnies.

i'd question any rabbit's 'need' for human hugs and snuggles - possibly a single rabbit, but most people here would keep their bunnies in pairs or groups.

being that this person has 30 bunnies i would say she was an experienced rabbit keeper, if all the rabbits look fit,clean and healthy i cant see the amount being a problem, the keeper probably goes without a lot of things for herself to keep them, rabbits are addictive, i cant wait to expand my 2 to 4 and i should imagine i would add a few more to that as i get more experience and improve my setup to match, i don't think a person would keep so many and not look after them otherwise why bother having them, i also did find a hint of criticism in your question oooh how can she afford that etc? she probably has a very good vet that offers discounts because the vet knows this keeper is good business, for all we know this person may have even rescued some of those bunnies as can often happen.

Mylo lives alone and I can certainly say that she has no desire for hugs and snuggles! :lol:

But I do agree that having a lot of bunnies doesn't mean they should be any less cared for or loved than just one or two.

Last edited:
As well as what everyone else has said about costs, I thought I'd add that most rabbits really don't need "hugs and snuggles". In fact, mine would hate that. So long as all their basic needs are being met most rabbits would be quite content with no human interaction at all.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. Mine would hate snuggles... I am sure SOME bunnies do, especially if they are living around people constantly, but mine see me as the food machine and the nasty person who takes them for jabs.

rabbits have different personalities. my four get similar food and the same amount of attention, but charles has always loved to kiss and cuddle, and matthew is a bit of a snugglebun, but cecile protests before settling for a cuddle and tabitha won't tolerate anything other than a thorough grooming and shoulder-rub.

One of the key things about a forum like RU is that we are an amazing world wide cross section of people whose one commonality is rabbits.
You can't pigeon hole anyone.
Some people on here are well resourced in this life others not so much.
Either way few of us take on more than we are able to manage & we all derive benefits & support from this community that helps us to care for our rabbit/s well, irrespective of numbers.
I for one am so grateful for the combined expertise & experience of those on RU with many rabbits in their care.
They are an amazing resource of knowledge from whom all our bunnies benefit one way or another.
I love that these guys live their passion :love::love:

Last edited:

So much depends on individuals' circumstances as to what they can cope with either financially, emotionally, time or space wise. For each of us those limits would be different so wondering how someone can afford something without knowing great details of their circumstances seems irrelevant.

I have decided that 10 is my limit but I'm sure I earn far, far less/have less desposable income than some RU members who have decided that 2 is their limit. Vaccinating my 10 rabbits will cost between £300 and £380 a year (depending on discounts at the time) so for somebody with 30 rabbits at the same cost that's £1k BUT I also pay out currently £1100 in insurance per year, other people with 10 rabbits will have decided not to insure... they may be more confident than me with dealing with stasis episodes and be more hands-on, so for their circumstances insuring them would be too costly. There are so many variables about what we chose to spend out money on that questioning what someone can afford doesn't work when comparing it with our own circumstances. There's also questions such as "Do you want 3 luxury holidays a year or a house full of rabbits?" House full of rabbits all the way here - but that doesn't suit everybody!

For the other factors it also depends on how much time you have at home. Some RU members with more disposable income work long hours so 30 rabbits would be out of the question but if you are at home pretty much all the time then it's not a huge amount to cope with - especially as most live in pairs/groups so that's about 15 enclosures not 30, and not that many that need a great deal of human attention.

Last edited:

For all you know the person maybe a millionaire with tonnes of money and tonnes of spare time to give all rabbits the care and attention that they need.

I only have Louie and, although I could afford more, my own circumstances mean that I wont be getting anymore.

Everyone has different lifestyles which are personal to them :D

its the difference between rabbits being part of your life and rabbits being your life.

can't help but feel an undercurrent of criticism from your post - wondering, but wondering in a 'these rabbits can't be being looked after properly' way. stick around, you'll find out that a great deal of love and care is given by those with multiple bunnies.

i'd question any rabbit's 'need' for human hugs and snuggles - possibly a single rabbit, but most people here would keep their bunnies in pairs or groups.

This is one of the most poignant and beautiful quotes I've come across for a long time. Which is totally unrelated to the thread, but maybe I please use it at some time :)

This is one of the most poignant and beautiful quotes I've come across for a long time. Which is totally unrelated to the thread, but maybe I please use it at some time :)

daily, if you like, sky-o! :D

Back