• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

change in behaviour

milly100

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I have been contacted by my mums friend who is concerned about her rabbits.
She has 2 female rabbits that live in a 2 storey hutch. Up till a year ago they had free range of a back yard and were happy friendly rabbits. She then moved and for the last year they have had free range of her garden which doesn't seem to be enough for them. They are constanly escaping into the neighbours garden who is getting fed up of it. They manage to chew threw all wire and are constanly digging to get out. They are also not as friendly anymore.
Has any one got any suggestions or tips for her.
Many thanks.

Rabbits often start tunnels with sheltered entrances eg along the edge of a fence of under a hedge which is naturally near a boundary. It's normal behaviour and the only guaranteed way of stopping it is making it impossible. If they have a particular favourite spot she could sink paving slabs stood on end along the boundary - which may redirect them. If they start near it, another option is part burying an L shaped piece of mesh, so they hit the corner when they dig.

They are in effect living wild so I presume have/require less human interaction which will influence how friendly they are.

Hi,
I have been contacted by my mums friend who is concerned about her rabbits.
She has 2 female rabbits that live in a 2 storey hutch. Up till a year ago they had free range of a back yard and were happy friendly rabbits. She then moved and for the last year they have had free range of her garden which doesn't seem to be enough for them. They are constanly escaping into the neighbours garden who is getting fed up of it. They manage to chew threw all wire and are constanly digging to get out. They are also not as friendly anymore.
Has any one got any suggestions or tips for her.
Many thanks.

IN addition to sealing off the escape route, they might be bored, could she alter their toys/rotate them or get a pop up tent or tunnel or something? Or even just move their hutch?

I am assuminng that they are not neutered. Being neutered would virtually stop the digging.

How many times are we going to have to tell you this is completely wrong? :lol:

Neutering does NOT stop rabbits digging. Biscuit is living proof of this!!

How many times are we going to have to tell you this is completely wrong? :lol:

Neutering does NOT stop rabbits digging. Biscuit is living proof of this!!

.... I also have living proof of this!

Perhaps we should start a thread - 'It is a MYTH that neutering stops digging' :lol:

I have proof that it does VIRTUALLY stop digging in most neutered rabbits. Female rabbits tend to dig nest holes for babies but after neuter they dont have this hormonal drive. Obviously you get the few who still dig but not as much. No I still maintain what I said and I am speaking from experience of outdoor rabbits.

I have proof that it does VIRTUALLY stop digging in most neutered rabbits. Female rabbits tend to dig nest holes for babies but after neuter they dont have this hormonal drive. Obviously you get the few who still dig but not as much. No I still maintain what I said and I am speaking from experience of outdoor rabbits.

Please show this proof.

Well, I am speaking from my experience of outdoor rabbits.

Rabbits are natural diggers - they dig burrows - not just for nesting.

Neutering does not stop this instinct to dig.

Please show this proof.

oh, for heaven's sake! can't you just accept that in some rabbits neutering virtually puts an end to digging, whereas in others it makes no difference at all?

eta: having said that, i have never known a rabbit that didn't dig. i've had about 30 rabbits overall...

Last edited:
Thankyou for the replies. She has been and bought the rabbits some new toys and tubes. So fingers crossed that will keep them entertained.

Back