• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets

tasherd

Warren Scout
I took Lucy and Jack to the vets today as I persumed they both had ear canker and it was one of the most horrible days of my life. Lucy attacked the vet and jumped on the floor trying to run away, the vet grabbed the scruff of her neck to keep her still, as a result of this Lucy stabbed herself in the eye and mouth, causing her to scream. It was horrible and I cried, everything is fine now though appart from a cut on her mouth and nose. I was given drops for their ear mites but Jack had to get his teeth filed as he has spurs on them so therefore had to be sedated he has now been home for 2 hours and is in a little box away from Lucy but I was just wandering how long it usually takes them to eat, drink, recover etc? Thanks

Has HE got any metacam?? In fact, I think it was quite badly handled by your vet.He shouldnt scruff.
Bit of a shock for you and your bunnies.Sorry to hear all this.

Metacam is the usual painkiller given to buns after a dental. Your vet should have given him some (it would be on your receipt) and they normally give a dose that will last for 24 hours.

My dental bun never used to eat until later in the evening but some do eat quite quickly. Try to tempt him with some herbs, grated carrots, carrot tops, spring greens, kale etc. Did the vet give you any critical care (recovery food) or similar.

Sending Jack lots of eating vibes.

I hope Lucy is OK, I agree that your vet should not have picked her up by the scruff.

Ok thanks and no all I was given was basically what I persume is spot on which I need to apply between their shoulders and I need to give Jack two drops and Lucy 1 which I dont understand as their both the same weight and Lucys canker is worst than Jacks, thank you he is moving a little more now x

He needs to have metacam, dentals can be very painful after. Did he not have a metacam injection?
I guess it was his front teeth as it wasnt done under GA?

Personally, if he is awake, I'd want him to be able to see Lucy at the least, and possibly (depending on her behaviour towards him) be with her properly, as I find my dental bun recovers much better from GA now he has his friend with him. If he cant stand properly keep him in his box till he can stand/walk though.

As he hasnt been under anesthetic I would expect the recovery time to be quite short, but if he hasnt had any metacam he may be in pain. Offer him his favourite foods and keep them around him.

He is still wobbly I keep letting Lucy say hello to him I have offered him kale and water and pellets and he isnt intrested and his favourite food dried banana the receipt says:

xeno 450 vial> 800kg/ vial £15.12
dom/ vet (0.25/0.15ml) £5.74
exaime small animal £8.57

I do not understand vetenary talk?

Thanks

He was given a GA you said in your first post for the dental? There is no record on your receipt of that or for the actual procedure. My receipt usually lists the type of GA, cost of the dental and comes to a lot more than this. Was this receipt just for 1 of your bunnies?

xeno 450 vial> 800kg/ vial £15.12 - this is the spot on
dom/ vet (0.25/0.15ml) £5.74 - not sure what this is but some sort of medication??
exaime small animal £8.57 - this is the consultation

He was given a GA you said in your first post for the dental? There is no record on your receipt of that or for the actual procedure. My receipt usually lists the type of GA, cost of the dental and comes to a lot more than this. Was this receipt just for 1 of your bunnies?

xeno 450 vial> 800kg/ vial £15.12 - this is the spot on
dom/ vet (0.25/0.15ml) £5.74 - not sure what this is but some sort of medication??
exaime small animal £8.57 - this is the consultation

she said he was sedated, I assume it must have been a concious dental. No sign of the dental on the receipt either though. 'dom' mustve been the drugs to sedate?

Yeah I have 3 tubes of xeno and yeah it was for both of them, that was jacks and lucys just says - examine of small animal, what can I give him I am worrying as he looks like hes in a bit of pain, can I give him anything? Thanks

she said he was sedated, I assume it must have been a concious dental. No sign of the dental on the receipt either though. 'dom' mustve been the drugs to sedate?
Ah, I am assuming that the sedation was GA as that is all mine have had. With a sedation would a bunny still be so wobbly.

Yeah I have 3 tubes of xeno and yeah it was for both of them, that was jacks and lucys just says - examine of small animal, what can I give him I am worrying as he looks like hes in a bit of pain, can I give him anything? Thanks

You need to give him metacam, which you'll have to get from a vet. I'd ring up the vets and talk to whatever out-of-hours service they have.

What teeth were done, and can you confirm if it was a concious dental done under sedation or a normal dental done under general anesthetic?

Ah, I am assuming that the sedation was GA as that is all mine have had. With a sedation would a bunny still be so wobbly.

I dont know, all my dentals are done under GA too, but I think concious ones for front teeth are fairly common, for back teeth it isnt though, although it can be done :? I wouldnt have thought he'd be so wobbly either, very odd. In theory I guess it is better for the gut to have them done conciously as you dont have to kick-start it so much to get it moving after.... but if no painkillers are given poor bun wont be wanting to eat.

Dom/vet is a sedative combination. The volumes are quite low so probably wouldn't have anaesthetised fully. There is nothing in your receipt to indicate significant pain relief. That may be why your rabbit is quiet. Also there may be some residual sedation in the system. The Dom can be reversed, it may not have been. The stress may also account for your rabbit being quiet.
If I were in your shoes I wold go to an out of hours vet ( your local vets?) and get some pain relief, a gut stimulant and some sub cut fluids. Syringe feeding will also help. Some pain relief to go home with is also what I would be after.

Good luck

Sorry I didnt see the questions and yes they have canker- so ear mites, she said she was going to look at his teeth as I said he makes a crunching noise with them, she put a microscope thing in his mouth and said that he had spurs on a few of his teeth she did not tell me which ones. She said he would need to have his teeth filed but he would not be 'knocked out' but he would be as if he were drunk I left at about 2.45pm today and picked him up at 4.45pm and like I said he will not eat or drink and he isnt really moving he keeps falling over and is shaking. When I picked him up she said that she's chopped his nails for me, cut around his bum as he has a very knotty bum and that filed teeth and that he was abit groggy but they never said to give him anything or do anything. At the moment he is in a box away from lucy with a drinking bottle attached, some kale, some pellets as he hasnt eaten anything appart from hay today and I have also put in some carrot tops and some dried banana and he is having none of it, it has been 3 and half hours now, he is lifting his head slightly to look out the box but not his body. Thanks :)

Sorry I didnt see the questions and yes they have canker- so ear mites, she said she was going to look at his teeth as I said he makes a crunching noise with them, she put a microscope thing in his mouth and said that he had spurs on a few of his teeth she did not tell me which ones. She said he would need to have his teeth filed but he would not be 'knocked out' but he would be as if he were drunk I left at about 2.45pm today and picked him up at 4.45pm and like I said he will not eat or drink and he isnt really moving he keeps falling over and is shaking. When I picked him up she said that she's chopped his nails for me, cut around his bum as he has a very knotty bum and that filed teeth and that he was abit groggy but they never said to give him anything or do anything. At the moment he is in a box away from lucy with a drinking bottle attached, some kale, some pellets as he hasnt eaten anything appart from hay today and I have also put in some carrot tops and some dried banana and he is having none of it, it has been 3 and half hours now, he is lifting his head slightly to look out the box but not his body. Thanks :)

He needs pain relief ASAP. Gut stimulant would be a good idea also. Any reason why you've not put him back in with Lucy? Being on his own will increase his stress levels if he's bonded :(

I hope he's ok.

Because Lucy is very hyperactive and will just pester him I have let Lucy say hello and she stood on him, he wasnt intrested in her and I cant get to the vets now :( do you think its serious or with rest and TLC will he be ok? If in the morning he is the same I will definitely take him to the vets Thanks

Back