• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problems with rabbit

Becca91

New Kit
Hi there... I'm new to this forum!

I've had my rabbit for 3 1/2 months or so now.. he was 16 weeks old when I got him. The girl in the petshop whom I bought him from told me he had not been handled and wished me luck! I have never owned a rabbit before him. His name's Buddy btw!

I love him to bits but he is a complete nightmare. I keep him inside, he lives in a Ferplast 120 cage, he's a dutch rabbit. I know he probably needs a bigger cage but I will get onto why I haven't got him one shortly.. He comes out three or four times a day, he free range of the front room. But he's a nightmare - I let him out and sometimes I just can not get him back! For hours sometimes, it becomes a joke. I know he doesn't want to go back in the cage, I probably wouldn't either if I was him but he can't live outside as he has already bitten a hole into the sofa and actually managed to get right inside the sofa.

I can't handle him... The only time I can handle him is when he is so puffed out and exhausted that he can't be bothered to do anything about it. He kicks, he struggles, he lashes out.. I often have blood dripping down my arm, and I'm beggining to get a nice scar collection.. The more I try, the worse he gets, it seems to break his trust..I know some rabbits just simply hate being picked up but he is really violent...

He is a lovely boy though, I do love him to bits... He goes round and round my legs til he's exhausted... He's not nasty, but he is hard work.
He is not neutered - this is something I am thinking of doing asap, will this calm him down? I was also thinking of getting a female bun, getting her spayed, keeping her seperate in another cage so they can be near each other, then introducting them on mutual ground when the time is right...

Will this help? I just really could use some advice from someone with a lot more experience. Cheers :) Edit - the reaons why I haven't got him a bigger cage/hutch is because I was thinking of getting him a friend, and I thought they could move in together. When this does happen, what type of housing would you reccomend? I am also moving house shortly and will have a large garden... I was thinking of having a run too...

Last edited:
Hi there

Welcme to you and buddy!

Male unneutered rabbits can show a lot of aggression and the neutering helps like you wouldnt believe. So do find a good vet and arrange this according to their recommendations.

Secondly, leave him alone a bit, to just get used to everything and calm down. Although people do have indoor buns, moving him outside eventaully might be an option when you've moved and getting a spayed female friend. but this time, do go to a rescue and help a rabbit in need as well as getting great advice - the rescue i went to did all the vacs, neutering, everything. and they often come and check out your accommodation and address concerns, not just then but afterwards.

Take ccare

Welcome to the site :)

I totally agree with getting him neutered and how much difference it can make. Also, a confident friend could too, but handling him will, as you rightly identified, break his trust.

I would try and teach him when to go in himself, such as rattling something before meal times and so he knows that when you rattle X, he will get fed in his cage. He will soon learn to return.

I give a lot of info to new adopters at the RSPCA (and seasoned rabbit owners too) and it might be worth reading this. Especially the 'Bonding with your bunny' and 'Handling' articles.

Hi :wave:

Neutering will help calm him down :) those cages are usually too small to keep rabbits in, rabbits are awake when we are asleep, if you could get an 8 sided puppy pen/metal rabbit run to attach onto that cage permanently but still let him out then that would be better :)

It might be easier to have him neutered and find a rescue wife for him as they are already spayed and vaccinated :) it is a lot cheaper to have an adopted girl than buy one and have to go through the stress of spaying etc. they may also bond for you :wave:

Hello :wave:

Yes, neutering will calm him down. My Poppet was an absolute nightmare until she was neutered ~ I was actually afraid of her. :oops: Once my buns were neutered, most of the naughty behaviours stopped (they can still wind mummeh up if they really want to :lol: ) but they became calmer and happier and very loving little bunnehs.

It's natural for them to want to chew and dig - make sure Buddy has a 'digging box'. I use cardboard boxes; I cut out door and windows (big enough for them to climb into), and fill with newspaper, hay, dried herbs, some treats and toys to throw around (empty loo rolls are *great* fun!). This keeps 'em occupied for hours. Small toels and blankets are also good - I have small 'bunny' blankets that they can play with and drag along if the like.

My Ricky doesn't like to be caught either, but a good trick is to *only* serve food in his hutch/cage, which means he eventually has to go in as he'll get hungry. Give him a treat when he goes in, or leave one in his food bowl. Or perhaps you could get an indoors play pen? Or section off part of the room?
Occasionally I'll move the position of his cage, as he'll get curious and want to know what's going on.

Housing - as big as poss, basically! I don't know what a Ferplast 120 is, but I'm sure someone will come along to talk about cages soon. :)

I agree that neutering sure can help... but I know exactly how you feel! I've had my Theo since he was a baby, he was indoors and got lots of play time. Very very cute. But even since after his operation he is the most grumpy rabbit I've known. :? He does everything in his power to NOT be held, I come out with big scratches. He freaks out when I try to put him back home, and though hes kind of litter trained he poops everywhere... it's insane to cleanup.

Maybe some rabbits just aren't people bunnies?

On the other hand my unneutered male is like a happy little puppy, hes so friendly. :roll:

Good luck with him, try neutering though

Thanks guys for all your input - i've taken everything on board...

Bellikinz... I think you're right, I can't see him changing now and turning all cuddly lol!!

I will definitely definitely get him neutered, that's a priority! x

Ditto to the neutering!

Could you not keep him freerange without a cage? Could you block off the sofa and any wires?

Back