• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on administering syringe medicine?

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
Nibbles has been off his food for a few days although drinking normally and we decided to take him to the vets to make sure he was ok. He's been given fibreplex and emeprid by the vet to help get his digestion system moving,. He will take the fibreplex No problem (he will lick it off the syringe... I made the mistake of putting it on my finger and he nearly bit it off with enthusiasm!) But having trouble administering the emeprid, he hates the syringe and it isn't lickable like the fibreplex. Any advice on getting it in him? He keeps digging his head into my shoulder like a scared child and I feel SO mean :(

On a brighter note he's eaten more in one afternoon than he has in the last two days :) he won't be neutered this week though for obvious reasons, we're hoping he picks up so it can be done next week.

Stephen hated taking his antibiotics and the only way we managed it was to put it in a syringe with some cordial to make it a bit more pallatable? Might be worth asking your vet if that was ok? When we were really struggling we put it in his water bowl for him to drink throughout the day if he doesn't need it all in one go/is drinking ok?

With regards to how to get him to syringe feed, we had to be cruel to be kind I'm afraid, I had to wrap Stephen up to stop him struggling, pop him on the dining table so he was at a good height, and face him away from me but so his bottom was against my tummy so he couldn't wiggle away (if that makes sense).

If you find it difficult to hold him and administer at the same time, its quite useful to stand them on kitchen counter (its the perfect height) on a mat or towel.

If you're right handed put him so his head is facing your right hand, use your left arm to wrap around him, bum in the crook of your elbow, and use your arm to pull him against your body firmly so he can't wriggle, and your left hand holding over his head, and your left index finger lifting the side of his mouth for you to put the syringe in.

Well, even with two of us (one holding Nibbles one trying to administer the syringe) he was having none of it! :-( Hoping we get on better with it tomorrow, he hates it bless him. We had big cuddles after though :love:

Back