• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

im going on holidays and have to leave my bunny :'(

emily..

Warren Scout
someone help, im going away for the weekend and i have to leave my rabbit, she isn't going to starve or anything because we have family that will call in once everyday to re-new her water and fill up her food bowl but i still feel bad leaving her because she is usually out like 10 times every day but now she wont be out at all, instead she will be stuck inside her cage for 3 days! i live in wales and we're only going up to england in a caravan for 3 days and i want to take her with us, she is used to traveling in the car so i can't see why i can't take her, i would get an indoor cage thing and she could stay in there inside the caravan and at least she will be with me (i have never left her before), but my parents just wont let me take her with us? help...

It's not fair that she'll be kept in a small cage for 3 days. If it was a 7ft hutch that would be more ideal.

What food is she on? Pellets ?

She needs hay available 24 hours a day forever. Pellets should only be offered once a day, in a handful.

Maybe let her free range in a spare room, leave the cage as a base, opened.
Tell your family to top up her hay when it reduced in size, and feed pellets once at night.
Re fill water as soon as it goes less.

Hi,
I think your rabbit would probably be happier staying in familiar surroundings at home. If someone is coming in regularly to take care of her she will be absolutely fine.
Rabbits hide stress very well, so even though she might look relaxed in the car, its very likely she won't be. Wales to England can be a long journey as well, depending on where you are going.
Also, when you are on holiday I assume you wont be in the caravan that much to spend time with her so it is probably best she stays at home.
As harsh as it sounds, I think you will miss your rabbit more than she would miss you.

ahhh... now thats a good idea i will try and convince them to leave her in a room (with the door shut as i have a cat) x

ahhh... now thats a good idea i will try and convince them to leave her in a room (with the door shut as i have a cat) x

Good idea! Just make sure all electrical cables are well out of her reach and anything else you dont want chewing is removed or protected (furniture, skirting board, carpets etc)

Hi,
I think your rabbit would probably be happier staying in familiar surroundings at home. If someone is coming in regularly to take care of her she will be absolutely fine.
Rabbits hide stress very well, so even though she might look relaxed in the car, its very likely she won't be. Wales to England can be a long journey as well, depending on where you are going.
Also, when you are on holiday I assume you wont be in the caravan that much to spend time with her so it is probably best she stays at home.
As harsh as it sounds, I think you will miss your rabbit more than she would miss you.

i know but family aren't coming in regular, they will only be popping in to give her food and water :(?

Good idea! Just make sure all electrical cables are well out of her reach and anything else you dont want chewing is removed or protected (furniture, skirting board, carpets etc)

i know, i would have to because she is mad for wires! for some reason she loves chewing them ;) x

ok :), i just needed to know because i have never left her for 3 days before lol x

Whenever I am going away for longer than 3 or 4 days, I arrange for someone to live at my house with the animals so I know they will be alright. But if I just go for a few nights, my sister just pops round morning and evening and they've been fine.
I'm the same as you though, I hate leaving them.

When you say three days, are you for example, leaving on Monday and coming back Wednesday? Because that way you would see her the morning you left and the day you came back, so it would really only be one full day anyway.

Just a thought...if you do leave her in a spare room...perhaps set up a mesh over the door entrance so when the family member opens the door - she doesnt scoot out and accidentally meet your cat and get injured.;)
I think she would prob. feel more relaxed at home....I know Id also want to take mine with me, but that they would probably be scared in foreigh surroundings ;)

Back