• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on behaviour following neutering

Esme

New Kit
Hello, could anyone please offer advice on the following: We have just had our two female rabbits spayed. They are ten months old and were previously very loving with each other. They are sisters and have been together since birth. Since having them spayed a week ago one rabbit is behaving aggressively towards the other one, nothing serious but is lunging towards her back end and chasing her. The other rabbit is now very nervous and constantly bolting.

They were separated for a day or two following the op. on the advice of the vet but were ok when we put them back together until a sudden fight broke out. They are together now but we are wondering if this behaviour will clear up or if we need to separate them for good.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure but I never sepetated my bonded girls when they were spayed...the vets kept them together and they went straight back into their hutch together...I'm wondering if seperating them for a couple of days messed with their bond? X

I am very sorry to hear about your girls. I had a similar thing happen when I had Mum and daughter neutered on the same day, stayed together when they came home, then 2 days later daughter started to attack Mum. I took them for their 2 day check and told the vet and she said it was because she was feeling uncomfoortable after the op and gave her another painkilling injection. A couple of days on from then it happened again. Mum was looking very scared so I rempved her and she is now bonded with one of my boys. No explanation really, but the only suggestion I can make is to try and bond them right from scratch as neutering does change them. Some come through it ok and others dont. I had 2 sisters spayed years ago 18 months old. They had always got along fine but after being neutered they just kept chasing one another up and down all night, with lots of thumping. So I split them up and paired them off with boys. It's so heartbreaking isn't it? I can really feel for you. I hope you can rebond them, using neutral territory just as if they were strangers to one another.

Thank you to the people who offered advice on our problem. The good news is they seem to be sorting it out. Things are calming down and the nervous one is getting less sensitive. Maybe it was a hormonal thing following the op. So we are hoping things will be alright.

Much appreciated to everyone who replied.

Back