• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toki and her pet dog

theWhelp

New Kit
This is an update to my post a while back about the strange behavior of our Flemish, Toki, toward Arya, a female mix-breed. Now that she is older (7 months), Toki has stopped nuzzling and stalking Arya to the extent that she was - i.e. constantly. Now they seem to have developed a rapport, and are very comfortable/laid-back around one another. Arya has a very gentle temperament, lacking aggressive tendencies toward ANYTHING, which is why I allow and encourage this relationship between them. I'm sure they'll be some who would say, "You're an idiot! You can never trust a dog with a rabbit!" To them, I must point out that the likelihood of Arya attacking Toki is about the same chance as her attacking ME; such a low percentage that it's pointless to fret about it. Rabbits are social animals, and lacking other rabbits, I won't deny her this alternative "warren." Though Arya is her favorite, Toki also has 4 other dog companions - an American Eskimo, a hairless Rat Terrier, and 2 Chihuahua pups. They aren't quite as friendly with Toki as Arya, but I catch them licking her and sleeping together frequently. I certainly wouldn't call this environment "traumatizing", as someone told me once. I happen to believe that she is probably much more content with her life than a lone rabbit spending most of the day in a cage. Toki has free run of the house, a healthy/varied diet, a soft bed, occasional treats, eager petting hands, and plenty of animal companions. What more could a giant bunny ask for?

toki_arya1.JPG
toki_arya2.JPG

all my house bunnies have lived like this with my dogs, it is lovely to see and like you i trusted my dogs 100% with my rabbits.

all my house bunnies have lived like this with my dogs, it is lovely to see and like you i trusted my dogs 100% with my rabbits.

Glad to hear that someone else trusts in the rabbit-dog dynamic! It really is precious watching them together. Sometime I think Toki believes herself to be a dog! I will occasionally forget to put the dog food bowls up, and she always manages to take advantage of my forgetfulness until I discover her happily munching away on it. A carnivore rabbit? Now that's a scary thought...lol.

And "thank you" to everyone else for your kind words!

Glad to hear that someone else trusts in the rabbit-dog dynamic! It really is precious watching them together. Sometime I think Toki believes herself to be a dog! I will occasionally forget to put the dog food bowls up, and she always manages to take advantage of my forgetfulness until I discover her happily munching away on it. A carnivore rabbit? Now that's a scary thought...lol.

And "thank you" to everyone else for your kind words!

same here... Rosie helping Jazz with her James Wellbeloved tea!

fosters018.jpg

Back