• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Windows in outside wendy houses/sheds

Kiania

Young Bun
I have a window in my bunny lodge which is toughened glass. I plan to keep this so I can slot it in during the cold cold winters, but during the summer, remove it. I want to put insect mesh over the hole that is left (for obvious reasons). I've been hunting down aluminium and steel mesh, and by golly is the steel expensive, even when one wants only 1mx1m of it (and most seems to only come in 5m rolls!). I've got it down to £30 (inc VAT and P&P), and the aluminium down to just under £15. I was wondering through, whether a fox could jump and punch through the aluminium - and by extension, what everyone else uses! Since they aren't my buns, having a fox bloodbath is extremely undesirable, and I live next to a forest - admittedly, we have a decent sized fence (to keep the dog in), but then again, we don't have any tasty tasty buns running around the garden as temptation atm.

Advice would be great - links to cheaper (and more appropriate things if they exist) would also be wonderful!

Thank you in advance :)

You can buy pieces of welded mesh from places like B&Q and Homebase. Can't remember exactly how much, but if you only need a couple of bits I'm sure it would come to less than £30. Just make sure you buy the mesh with small holes.

I had a look in B&Q, Wickes and Homebase. The former two had the right type of stuff, but it was 60x90cm, and my window is approx 70x70cm. I have managed to find some aluminium mesh for £8.95 + £5.75 P&P on ebay. Think what we're going to do is put in aluminium fly mesh, then add stainless steel grid mesh (wide grids) over the top to be foxproof. Just a shame that steel flymesh is daftly expensive :)

I have the proper windows in during winter but have just meshed over them for summer. I then have fly screening over this.

Back