• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pregnant and need some bunny advice please!

BwfcAngel

Mama Doe
Hey everyone:wave:

I am not around here much anymore but i'm hoping a few of you will remember me. I know I can always get fab advice here and that's what i'm asking for :love: This is gonna be long but please stay patient and any advice will be welcomed :love::love:

As some of you will know, ive had my babies for ages. Ive always had two outside and four in the house - all rescues. Unfortunately we lost Twinkle and Belle in the last 14 months so now i have only two indoor rabbits, their remaining partners, housed separately in my spare bedroom. However, I am currently 19 weeks pregnant and am having sleepless nights about where the baby and the rabbits are gonna go!

I live in a two bedroomed house so the baby is going to need the spare room and i'm due at Christmas so this is a situation that needs sorting now. And this is where I need your expert advice-where the bunnies will be happiest.

I have a converted loft that is a carpeted extra living space, with a sofa in and a desk. One plan is that they could both go in their, separated of course. However, it can get really draughty in the winter and absolutely boiling in the summer. We are gonna get a velux window put in though for some natural light and obviously as something to open to let some air in, in the summer. However, i hate the idea of them being in the loft and away from everything in the house. Neither of them are bunnies that seem to like a lot of huan attention, Perry hates being stroked and mithered but I still hate the idea of them being 'stuck' up there on their own :( My mum is also mithering me about how the hay would be a 'fire hazard' up there and how she hates the idea that the loft will be over the baby's bedroom. Ive told her that if that is the case, the whole house is a fire hazard because of all the wood etc that's in it but you know what mum's are like, she's never wrong!

Alternatively, they can be moved outside. My fil is a joiner and he made me an awesome shed and huge run combo for my outdoor buns and he is currently updating their accommodation again for me. He said he will build be an amazing, super-insulated bunny home for my two indoor buns if we want to move them outside. My concern is that Jess has NEVER been an outside bun (he is four and a half) and Perry hasn't been an outside bun since we adopted him four years ago and he is currently the grand old age of eight and a half. They are not used the noises and sights of outdoor and i am worried that putting them outside at this stage in their lives would be detrimental to them.

I have no doubt that they would both LOVE to be outdoor buns though - they are both sooo nosy and would love to have that extra space and stuff. However, even with an amazing insulated living space, isn't outting them out in September too late for them to get their coats? I know they would be absolutely fine while they are locked away at night (my fil can get this new insulation that people use for their houses!) but what about during the day? If they sit out and get cold, are they gonna go back into the warm or just sit out and freeze to death?

I honestly don't know what to do for the best. We have ummed and aahed about this for weeks now as there are pros and cons to both situations.

I really really need some advice please.

Thanks, Lisa xx

I'd let them go outside. Sounds as if they'd enjoy it, and now is an ideal time to move them rather than waiting until the weather gets colder. :wave:

Can you not bond them? I wouldnt want single buns outside, especially not in winter. You wont have much time as a new mum, and if they are outside its all too easy to just see them for 10 mins a day when you're busy, especially if it is horrid weather, whereas if they are in the house you'll be able to see them easier, and can take baby with you easier, so you'll spend more time with them.

Can they not live in the lounge? That would be my first choice, as they'd get lots of company in there.

I think they would be fine outside.

But is baby going to be sleeping in your bedroom with you for a bit? Our baby is due in December as well and we aren't bothering with a nursery till he's 6 months old at the least.
I know it's only a short term solution but it'd give you more time to prepare.

Hi there. Sorry you lost the boys' partners. I'm going to say outside seeing as how you have a handy man. You say you've already got 2 outside so you would have to keep the other 2 away from them (referred aggression). A set up which would allow the 2 boys to be able to see one another would work although bonding them would be better. But might not be possible. I think they would adapt to being outside - they were probably born outside - and would grow thicker coats for the cold weather.

Build a great outdoor shed and run and move them outside definitely. This is the time to do it - now, so they can accustom to being outside and you can spend time with them as they get used to it and then by autumn their coats will thicken up for winter. They sound to me like they will be fine with it, especially if you build a wicked shed and attached run.

Having been in a similar position just over 2 years ago but we had the option of building a utility room into the garage and knocking a door through to the kitchen - because we were knocking kitchen walls down anyway and doing up the house when I was pregnant with my little one. Having our buns (and now just bunny :cry:) somewhere they could be safe and away from the noise of a screaming baby, but still interact with as when they wanted was ideal. They used to be freerange around the whole house but having a toddler I can see now how that would never have worked. As soon as your little one is crawling they will be trying to grab the bunnies if they are in any of your shared rooms - it is just too tempting for little fingers and imaginations! We have to supervise constantly because obviously our little one can wander into the bunny room off the kitchen and vice versa, and Poppy free ranges on the lawn whilst we are out there playing or watching from the kitchen. He is very good at listening to us and leaving her alone but ALL kids at this toddler age want to touch and chase the fluffy wabbit! ;) Your life will be much easier if your buns are somewhere safe for them and your little one and they will be much happier too. Poppy loves Sam but she needs her space from him too and somewhere safe to get away from him. It's great because we can shut the door when she needs space.

Once you have a baby, to begin with, you will be up to your eyes in baby baby baby and nothing else will matter for the first few months. My husband totally took over looking after the buns, I hardly saw them. You need to make life easy for yourself and have a set up that is safe and secure and makes life easy for you and them. As your little one grows things get easier, they really do, you will have more time to enjoy your buns again, put a blanket on the lawn whilst your little one does tummy time and chat to the buns if they are outside :) Or if you want a break from the non stop newborn crying you can get out and sit in the newly built insulated bunny shed with your buns and let hubby/partner take over with the baby for a bit!
Newborn crying can be a lot for a rabbit not used to it as well. Nino hated it, so it was good because we could shut the door and go upstairs and give him and Poppy peace and quiet.

When summer comes you will be outside with blankets, trikes, toys, watertables, sandpits etc... and be around your buns loads :love:

The only thing I will say is that I would seriously consider bonding your separate two bunnies if they are going to move outside OR get each one a new partner and have two outdoor set ups built if you have space.

Make life easy for yourself re. the buns. Having a baby is all consuming and hardwork and you don't need added stress of coping with housebuns under your feet. Trust me - little fingers are into EVERYTHING! The attic/loft does not sound suitable at all.

I think they would be fine outside.

But is baby going to be sleeping in your bedroom with you for a bit? Our baby is due in December as well and we aren't bothering with a nursery till he's 6 months old at the least.
I know it's only a short term solution but it'd give you more time to prepare.

True! But also depends how big your bedroom is. We could not fit a cot/cot bed in ours as well as our bed, only the moses basket which our little one outgrew at 6 weeks! So he moved nextdoor into his own room at 6 weeks :cry: Although.... let's be honest, he is nearly 18 months now and spends more time in our bed! ;):love::lol:

Hi there. Sorry you lost the boys' partners. I'm going to say outside seeing as how you have a handy man. You say you've already got 2 outside so you would have to keep the other 2 away from them (referred aggression). A set up which would allow the 2 boys to be able to see one another would work although bonding them would be better. But might not be possible. I think they would adapt to being outside - they were probably born outside - and would grow thicker coats for the cold weather.

Yes this.

Thanks for all the replies! It seems the general consensus is for us to put them outside which, to be honest, is what myself and my partner feel would ultimately be best for them. Also, we would love to bond them. However, we are just a little worried that putting our nearly 9 year old rabbit through a bonding process with the much bigger (and much younger male Jess) could be stressful for him considering his age. Has anyone any experiences of bonding an older rabbit of Perry's age?

My dad bonded my 8 year old seemingly undependable boy to my 7 year old twice widowed boy.

He did it really slow and basically built up their time together. At first he just let them see each other through mesh and let them get used to each other as neighbours. Then after a couple of weeks of that he let them out on the lawn (neutral territory) together and stood watching with a brush in hand to break up any potential fighting. The boys kept their distance at first and initially they only got 5 mins or so but this was increased by a little each day. Soon they got to sniffing stage, then minor nipping, then grooming. Now they have a passage way to each other's runs so that they can interact if they like but still retain personal peace and space. They are not in love or anything like a couple. Its a mild bromance and they are good friends now who like an occasional snuggle or groom. They do play together during free range time but I don't think they will ever get closer but I am happy they have this companionship in their old age. Oh I should add both my boys have been neutered for years and they have mellowed in their old age.

Also my boys have lived outdoors 24/7 for all their days and up til recently I had three single boys living alone through the winter. We took precautions however by building up nests in hutches with hay and moulted fur, insulating hutches and runs, providing heatpads and recently installing electricity to provide a plug in point for cool air and warm air fans to help them cope with the weather better.

If done properly a single bun can survive on his own in comfort even throughout a harsh winter. My oldest bun Mona is 10.5 years old and she hates coming indoors and has lived outside in her run all her live. She has positively thrived and because she has become accustomed to the weather she grows the most magnificent coat and loves to play in the snow :D

God that sounds ideal Fifibutton! I think we might give bonding a go. We bonded all the other pairs but I think this one may take a little time:roll: - Perry's a proper grump! Luckily we will have time to slowly build up the time they spend together and i think we'll know pretty soon if it's gonna be a possibility or not! Finding somewhere neutral will be interesting as they have both been everywhere in the house separately or in their previous bonded pairs at one time or another. My brother lives next door though so might ask if we can use his back garden.

I'll crack on then and tell fil to build me two of them enclosures I want. Hopefully one can be for my already outside bonded pair and one for these two fells - bonded or separate :lol:

This is what im asking my father in law to build - i should be able to just about fit two of these in my tiny garden!!

http://www.aviaries4u.co.uk/rabbit_runs.htm

I just want to make the best decision FOR THEM - not for me or the other half or even the baby. They have always been my babies and this decision must be about what is best for them and if outside is it, then we will make it work. Thanks for all the advice! Any further advice or experiences continues to be welcomed though!

Last edited:
Back