• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bluebell keeps on having reoccurring statis and gas

Lady Logamorph

Mama Doe
Bluebell was ill again this weekend...she just stopped eating and sat in her litter tray growling and biting if you went near her. Her belly was grumbly and gurgly.

This seems to happen every three or four months or so and each time I take her to the vets they give me some recovery and the usual meds...metaclop, metacam and I syringe feed her and massage her belly until she starts eating again.

This time my vet just gave me the metaclop to inject her with (I already had recovery sachet and metacam in the cupboard) so I wasn't paying for another call out as I have had quite a few in the couple of months and she basically knows what treatment gets her eating again.

She said that because it keeps happening she wants me to change her diet to have more fibre, cut out her pellets or cut them right down. If that doesn't work she recommends doing some other tests/blood work etc to see if there is something underlying.

My question is what sort of diet should I put her on? Just hay...or hay and some pellets? Also she has wild plants which i collect each week (dandelion, grass, clover, hawthorn, beech leaves, plantain). Shall I still get her these or shall I get her more? At the moment she has a small cup full of Burgess excel pellets in the morning and the same in the evening, is that too much?, hay bought from the farm (bale) and spring greens twice a day then other bits of veg like broccoli, carrot celery every now and again. Should I change the pellets to a more higher fiber pellet such as allen & page and carry on with giving her veg?

Sorry lots of questions I just want to get her diet spot on and see if that helps her before I get more tests done.

If she were my bun I would cut out the veg especially the brassicas, and cut the pellets right down (slowly) till she was just getting a few each day.
AS she has excess gas, i would be tempted to cut back the clover too as it is renowned for giving livestock the 'blows' if they get too much.
HTH:thumb:

If she were my bun I would cut out the veg especially the brassicas, and cut the pellets right down (slowly) till she was just getting a few each day.
AS she has excess gas, i would be tempted to cut back the clover too as it is renowned for giving livestock the 'blows' if they get too much.
HTH:thumb:

Thanks I will stop with the veg and cut down her pellets...do you think its worth me trying her with different pellets? I will still collect her loads of forage as well then (minus the clover) she seems to love hawthorn the most and those sticky plants. Also I only get farm hay...shall i get some other types of hay to vary her diet a bit so she doesn't get too bored with her food?

I'm going to feel awful doing this she loves her veg and pellets :(

If it were me, I wouldn't cut out the veg completely and I would still forage, but I would very gradually cut down the pellets until just an eggcupful once a day. (Any change in diet has to be done slowly, as you probably already know).

As 80-90% of the diet should be hay, you could try some different ones: Hay4Pets do a sample pack for free - you just pay the postage.

(Incidentally, just a thought, if you include grass in the forage it needs to be given and eaten straight away, not kept, as it starts to ferment as soon as it is picked - bad news for tummies).

Sorry if I'm coming up with things you are already aware of.

It does sound like she's having a lot of pellets. My buns get an eggcupful once a day plus hay and greens. Some buns don't get any at all. I would gradually cut her down, making sure she doesn't lose too much weight/condition though- an eggcupful is a guideline but it doesn't suit everybun.

I would also advise cuting out the 'gassy' veg such as broccoli and spring green and strictly limiting the carrot too as it is high in sugar which can lead to more gas.

I notice you say you collect forage weekly- how are you feeding it- fresh or dry? I doubt it would keep fresh for a week- better to collect it daily if you're feeding it fresh xx

ETA: I forgot to say- are you giving a probiotic? if not one might help- there are various types e.g. pellets, ones you put in the water etc xx

If it were me, I wouldn't cut out the veg completely and I would still forage, but I would very gradually cut down the pellets until just an eggcupful once a day. (Any change in diet has to be done slowly, as you probably already know).

As 80-90% of the diet should be hay, you could try some different ones: Hay4Pets do a sample pack for free - you just pay the postage.

(Incidentally, just a thought, if you include grass in the forage it needs to be given and eaten straight away, not kept, as it starts to ferment as soon as it is picked - bad news for tummies).

Sorry if I'm coming up with things you are already aware of.

Thanks I didnt realise about the grass. my buns usually eat the forage within a couple of days to be honest but I will make sure any grass is given first and leave the rest. I will also have a look at the Hay4Pets website :thumb:
She is quite big she weighs 5kg which is why i give her a little bit more pellets but I still think I give them too much. They really beg for them though and when I'm in the kitchen she's practically climbing up my leg because she knows the pellets are in there so it's so difficult not to give her treats :oops:

It does sound like she's having a lot of pellets. My buns get an eggcupful once a day plus hay and greens. Some buns don't get any at all. I would gradually cut her down, making sure she doesn't lose too much weight/condition though- an eggcupful is a guideline but it doesn't suit everybun.

I would also advise cuting out the 'gassy' veg such as broccoli and spring green and strictly limiting the carrot too as it is high in sugar which can lead to more gas.

I notice you say you collect forage weekly- how are you feeding it- fresh or dry? I doubt it would keep fresh for a week- better to collect it daily if you're feeding it fresh xx

ETA: I forgot to say- are you giving a probiotic? if not one might help- there are various types e.g. pellets, ones you put in the water etc xx

Thanks I will cut out the spring greens for her and brocolli...what do you think is best? she also likes baby sweetcorn/celery leaves and cauli leaves. Do you know if they are ok? I collect each week but it usually only lasts a few days. No I have never given probiotics regularly to my buns...do you know the best one to get?

Thanks I didnt realise about the grass. my buns usually eat the forage within a couple of days to be honest but I will make sure any grass is given first and leave the rest. I will also have a look at the Hay4Pets website :thumb:
She is quite big she weighs 5kg which is why i give her a little bit more pellets but I still think I give them too much. They really beg for them though and when I'm in the kitchen she's practically climbing up my leg because she knows the pellets are in there so it's so difficult not to give her treats :oops:

I think we are all faced with the same problem - most rabbits love pellets and have that way of looking at you ......
I'm sure mine would devour 2 big bowls if I let them.

In a way you have to shut down, ignore those pleading 'but I'm hungry' eyes, and feed them the amount you know is best for them.

I'm sure if that you gradually cut down pellets and get some different types of hay to provide variety and encourage more of it being eaten, you will see an improvement - not only in tums but in teeth.

[/B]

I think we are all faced with the same problem - most rabbits love pellets and have that way of looking at you ......
I'm sure mine would devour 2 big bowls if I let them.

In a way you have to shut down, ignore those pleading 'but I'm hungry' eyes, and feed them the amount you know is best for them.

I'm sure if that you gradually cut down pellets and get some different types of hay to provide variety and encourage more of it being eaten, you will see an improvement - not only in tums but in teeth.[/QUOTE

thanks babsie, I know I will have to be cruel to be kind...my daughter asked me the other day why I make all the pets so fat! The cat needs to go on a diet as well I really need to not fall for those 'i'm hungry eyes' i have started to cut down pellets already they are getting just less than a cup so will gradually reduce that.

Back