• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Badly bitten by a bunny. U/D post 24 10 th Aug

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
An un-neutered male is staying here for his holidays.This is his first visit and has never been away from home before. The owners said he gets rather amorous with them at times!!!:oops::oops:

He is a darling, but he is absolutely overwhelmed with his hormones. I given him a teddy to take his frustrations out on.

Yesterday though he sunk his teeth into my hand, I pulled my hand away and he was still hanging on to it. :shock::shock: This bunny must weigh about 3.5kgs. Loads of blood and it left me feeling very sick and light headed.

It's not his fault, just one very frustrated and randy boy.

I think that seeing other bunnies is exacerbating the situation. Perhaps moving him somewhere where he can't see any may be the answer. Pity though as he will be on his own.:(:(

This, along with the risk of contracting testicular cancer is the reason why bunnies should be neutered. Obviously if there are any health problems this would maybe change things.

Well in my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Oh goodness, I hope you are ok Di! You're right, maybe it would be best to move him away from the other rabbits...

Is there any way when his owners come to collect him, you could give some information to her about neutering too? Maybe sneak it in with any paperwork you give back? It does sound unfair on the poor boy to be that pumped with hormones :(

Oh goodness, I hope you are ok Di! You're right, maybe it would be best to move him away from the other rabbits...

Is there any way when his owners come to collect him, you could give some information to her about neutering too? Maybe sneak it in with any paperwork you give back? It does sound unfair on the poor boy to be that pumped with hormones :(

Thanks tigerlily.:thumb: The bite was very deep and in the very soft part of my hand. It really shook me up.

Luckily I have just had a delivery of RWA leaflets so I'm going to give the owners some to take home.

I will have to tell them what has happened in case he does to them. He could take a few days to settle down once he is back home. This sort of behaviour is the sort that less understanding bunny owners will not neccessarily tolerate. Possibly resulting in them considering re-homing the poor fella. Let's hope that his owners consider neutering. Fingers crossed that they do.

I'll do my very best for them and of course the bunny.:thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks tigerlily.:thumb: The bite was very deep and in the very soft part of my hand. It really shook me up.

Luckily I have just had a delivery of RWA leaflets so I'm going to give the owners some to take home.

I will have to tell them what has happened in case he does to them. He could take a few days to settle down once he is back home. This sort of behaviour is the sort that less understanding bunny owners will not neccessarily tolerate. Possibly resulting in them considering re-homing the poor fella.

I'll do my very best for them and of course the bunny.:thumb:

Ouch, that sounds really painful :(

That is lucky about the leaflets though, hopefully it is just a case of the owners not knowing about neutering though and he gets the happy ending all bunnies deserve. Fingers crossed

Jezebel once did that to me, it was my own fault as I ignored her warning nips, she was hanging off my hand until I managed to get her to let go.

Owch! :shock:

I know how amorous unneutered bucks can be, but have never been badly bitten. My legs are pin-cushioned with nips, but no worse.

Good luck with the owners.

i sympathise with your pain ive had a rabbit bite and he hung on, my first mini lop mitzi yes he turned out to be a boy, his bts ddn;t drop till he was over 1yr old :shock:, anyway he hung off my leg i still have scar now :oops: needless to say he went stragiht to be neutered as he wanted to be in the company of our frst rescue rabbit thumper (female) so he was done, 2 weeks later he seemed worse going for me, but month after he was a complete softy again :lol:

i think the rwaf leaflets are a good idea :thumb:

Jezebel once did that to me, it was my own fault as I ignored her warning nips, she was hanging off my hand until I managed to get her to let go.

ah! yeah it can happen because we can have absolubtely no idea of rabbit language -

and rabbit boundaries -

frequently overstepping them -

the same is unfortunately true of dog owners - many owners think their dogs are very happy when they are actually giving off severe stress signals!

even the title 'rabbit expert' is misleading -

if we remember victoria woodhouse - as i hope an easy and clear analogy -we can see that 'experts' get much wrong all the time and they always have plenty to learn-

perhaps titles ought to be more fluent such as trainee expert or forever in training expert :)

i like the 'professionals' most who realise they will always be amateurs no matter what grand titles they may currently be in posession of! :)

wishing all well and calm
speedy healing to all
x

t-touch can help people get back in touch with the subtler aspects of communication with themselves and animals and then things rarely get to be so crude.

An un-neutered male is staying here for his holidays.This is his first visit and has never been away from home before. The owners said he gets rather amorous with them at times!!!:oops::oops:

He is a darling, but he is absolutely overwhelmed with his hormones. I given him a teddy to take his frustrations out on.

Yesterday though he sunk his teeth into my hand, I pulled my hand away and he was still hanging on to it. :shock::shock: This bunny must weigh about 3.5kgs. Loads of blood and it left me feeling very sick and light headed.

It's not his fault, just one very frustrated and randy boy.

I think that seeing other bunnies is exacerbating the situation. Perhaps moving him somewhere where he can't see any may be the answer. Pity though as he will be on his own.:(:(

This, along with the risk of contracting testicular cancer is the reason why bunnies should be neutered. Obviously if there are any health problems this would maybe change things.

Well in my opinion anyway.

My neutered boy used to go nuts when we returned from a rescue visit. He would smell the other bunnies on us and attack. My son and I fled one day when he charged down the stairs at us. We had to strip off in the porch and quickly shower.:lol::lol::lol: Had you handled another bunny before touching him?

His eyesight might also be a prob

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The bunny has quietened down considerably now he has his teddy!!!!:oops::oops::oops::oops:

I also change my top when I am handling him so he cannot smell the scent of other bunnies.

Poor Teddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock::shock::oops::oops::oops:

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The bunny has quietened down considerably now he has his teddy!!!!:oops::oops::oops::oops:

I also change my top when I am handling him so he cannot smell the scent of other bunnies.

Poor Teddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock::shock::oops::oops::oops:

Yeouch, rabbit bites are so sore! Angelina was an omnivore when she had her babies and has left a few marks!:lol:

I am so pleased Teddy has helped, even though Teddy might not be so thrilled with the situation!!

tabby rabbit used to bite me for laughs. she knew she could be out of her hide, across the compound and teeth deep into my hand before i realised she was on the move. neutering, and being ill afterwards, made a massive difference to her behaviour.

neighours female rabbit was huge and used to attack everyone. she had a massive run and was intensly terratorial, kids couldn't go near her- the mum was frightened of her and the husband used to fend her off with a broom when cleaning out! put me off rabbits for years. funny thing was though I think she had a pretty good life- huge run with toys, always spotlessly clean, top notch food and treats and her a best friend which was bizarely my cat. they would spend hours cuddling up and grooming each other through wire and over time the cat was let in run with her as they loved each other so much. cat was devestated when the bun died. not much of a pet for her owners though!

I got bit today by one of my nethies pretty badly too!

Im in the process of bonding my 2 nethies, which im now going to wait for 2-3 weeks before trying, one was only neutered 2-3 weeks ago.

No bunnies where harmed, i sit in with them and at any point i see fighting i intervene.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/418705_4066508176410_1726890620_n.jpg

They started tumbling into each other so i broke them up and i didnt realise that Curtis had his teeth sunk into my foot! The first lot of blood was almost black so quite a deep one! The picture was taken a few seconds after it happened!

Aww randy little boy! Think I feel sorry for the teddy too! :oops::shock::lol:

Poor you as well getting bitten! Bluebell bites my OH all the time but never draws blood

The randy bunny went home yesterday.:(

But..................I did speak to his owners about his hormonal behaviour.

Great news!!!!! All being well he is going to see the plum fairy and a few weeks later going to go to a rescue, Windwhistle most probably and find a lady friend for him.:D:D:thumb::thumb:

His owners were brilliant and understood and agreed with everything that I said.

I'm one happy bunny and the randy bunny should also be very happy when he finds a friend.:thumb::thumb:

Forgot to mention....................his teddy looks rather worse for wear!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:
There was a conti at Kirkby Pet Welfare a while back that we named Fangs as he was a biter! He will fly for your hands as soon as they went in the hutch!

Back