• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
doesnt matter im just the worlds crappest rabbit owner;
That all my rabbits would rather die than be with me :cry:

Last edited:
Oh goodness :( I usually break they up so they can go in the treat ball....but sometimes I do put them down unbroken.
I'm so sorry about Brian :(

I'm sorry to ehar about Brian. I believe that this can happen with any pellet though, as with any food in humans, and depends more on how the bunny chews and eats and acts. My Summer choked on an Excel pellet, and there have been others on the forum who have choked on other types as well. We have a bunny at the Centre who tries to eat so fast that he has choked twice on SS, but we've never had another bunny who has, so his get crushed.

I guess what I'm saying is that flukes can happen with anything. That said, it never hurts to write to them and explain what happened and see if they are able to do anything.

I'm sorry to ehar about Brian. I believe that this can happen with any pellet though, as with any food in humans, and depends more on how the bunny chews and eats and acts. My Summer choked on an Excel pellet, and there have been others on the forum who have choked on other types as well. We have a bunny at the Centre who tries to eat so fast that he has choked twice on SS, but we've never had another bunny who has, so his get crushed.

I guess what I'm saying is that flukes can happen with anything. That said, it never hurts to write to them and explain what happened and see if they are able to do anything.

I agree with this

It is of course very tragic to lose a Rabbit in this way, BUT without a full Veterinary PM Report it really is impossible to prove that the shape of an SS pellet is 'wrong'. Sadly choking episodes are usually attributable to an underlying problem with an individual Rabbit such as Dental issues or Respiratory tract problems. If the shape of the pellets were 'wrong' then many, many more choking events would have occurred by now.

So if you do intend to take the matter up with Supreme you will require a PM Report to back your account up.

I am very sorry that another exceptionally unusual event has occurred resulting in the untimely passing of another of your Rabbits :cry:

Sorry guys guess your right, im just over reacting.
Jane hes perfectly healthy the vets saw him just that morning and other than running the risk of catching Pasturella off poppet he was fine.

He grabbed his pellets and Started coughing and green dribble was running out his mouth, and he started nose breathing,
By the time id got him at the vets he had a loud audible respitory click, from suspected Pnuemonia.

When i got home i rang to tell them Poppets dosage of Baytril for her Snuffles when she informed me when the Vet nurse attempted to give him Sedation and Oxygen he went into Respitory Arrest and passed away.

When i went to collect Poppet and Had got over the shock.
They had done an X-ray off his wind pipe and could see he had Obvious damage but the pellet was nowhere to be seen (we suspect he had swallowed it by this point).
his lungs only had a small amount of hazing toward the bottom which im guessing would be fluid from the coughing?

I am so sorry to hear about Brian. I know some of the shock as one of my buns, Mr Bubbles almost choked on a Science Selective pellet just a few weeks ago. He was exceedingly lucky and pulled through, although even the vet didn't expect he would. It took him a week to get out the woods as he stopped eating.

His x-rays didn't show any problems in his throat area either.

It wasn't anything you have done that caused this. You fed your buns the pellets because they seemed one of the best for them.

Hugs to you and Poppet xx

Oh no that's terrible I'm sorry to hear that :( I wasn't even aware of rabbits choking i will be more aware now though!

I'm so sorry to hear about Brain :(

It doesn't seem that choking is all that rare, I've heard other accounts on here about rabbits choking on pellets so for the last year or so I've made sure I'm nearby after I feed the buns their pellets and have told my family what to do when a rabbit is choking as well, just in case it ever does happen.

i'm sorry for your loss and sorry that it happened when you were doing what you understood was best. we can only do our best. don't blame yourself at all.

Sorry guys guess your right, im just over reacting.
Jane hes perfectly healthy the vets saw him just that morning and other than running the risk of catching Pasturella off poppet he was fine.

He grabbed his pellets and Started coughing and green dribble was running out his mouth, and he started nose breathing,
By the time id got him at the vets he had a loud audible respitory click, from suspected Pnuemonia.

When i got home i rang to tell them Poppets dosage of Baytril for her Snuffles when she informed me when the Vet nurse attempted to give him Sedation and Oxygen he went into Respitory Arrest and passed away.

When i went to collect Poppet and Had got over the shock.
They had done an X-ray off his wind pipe and could see he had Obvious damage but the pellet was nowhere to be seen (we suspect he had swallowed it by this point).
his lungs only had a small amount of hazing toward the bottom which im guessing would be fluid from the coughing?

Was this the Vets who dealt with the three Lionhead Neuters that had a tragic outcome ? I assume it cant be the same Vets Practice you used yesterday morning as if it were they would surely know the dose of Baytril they had prescribed for Poppet.

I only ask as whilst of course I am in no way Veterinary qualified I struggle to understand why they attempted to sedate Brian if he was in Respiratory Distress.

If you do still intend to contact Supreme then as I suggested previously, I would enclose a report from the Vet too.

RIP Brian :cry:

Was this the Vets who dealt with the three Lionhead Neuters that had a tragic outcome ? I assume it cant be the same Vets Practice you used yesterday morning as if it were they would surely know the dose of Baytril they had prescribed for Poppet.

I only ask as whilst of course I am in no way Veterinary qualified I struggle to understand why they attempted to sedate Brian if he was in Respiratory Distress.

If you do still intend to contact Supreme then as I suggested previously, I would enclose a report from the Vet too.

RIP Brian :cry:

Nope i used Charter Vets for Brian,
Im not sure why they used sedation, but im not a vet?
im guessing Sedation was the only hope to remove the blockage and do an X-ray on the airways?
Cheshire Pet were closed and werent answering even for emergency calls otherwise they'd have been my first choice?

Have Charter done something wrong?

I'm so sorry, what a terrible thing to happen. :cry: It wasn't anything you did wrong, you know, just a horrible accident. Big hugs from me.

Nope i used Charter Vets for Brian,
Im not sure why they used sedation, but im not a vet?
im guessing Sedation was the only hope to remove the blockage and do an X-ray on the airways?
Cheshire Pet were closed and werent answering even for emergency calls otherwise they'd have been my first choice?

Have Charter done something wrong?

I dont know, all I know is that sedation risks depressing respiration and I am pretty sure my Vet would not go down that path so quickly after admitting a Rabbit in respiratory distress. But as I say, I am not a Vet and I have no idea why they did opt for sedation.

I am also very surprised that they could see tracheal damage on an Xray, but again I am totally unqualified so maybe it is possible. It'd need to be pretty major damage I would have thought ie not just soft tissue damage but cartilage too.

I could be totally wrong though. Maybe someone who is qualified may comment if they see this thread.

I dont know, all I know is that sedation risks depressing respiration and I am pretty sure my Vet would not go down that path so quickly after admitting a Rabbit in respiratory distress. But as I say, I am not a Vet and I have no idea why they did opt for sedation.

I am also very surprised that they could see tracheal damage on an Xray, but again I am totally unqualified so maybe it is possible. It'd need to be pretty major damage I would have thought ie not just soft tissue damage but cartilage too.

I could be totally wrong though. Maybe someone who is qualified may comment if they see this thread.

Thankyou Jane.
I think i may need to contact someone and find out whats going on then.
If what you say is true it needs to be dealt with. :cry:

When my Mr Bubbles was admitted, the vet said they would postpone doing an x-ray as he was too poorly. He had fluid coming from his nose and mouth :(. Even when the choking had stopped for him, they done the x-ray without sedation as they didn't want to risk setting him back. The vet told me they wouldn't get such good results though.

For his x-rays, they were checking the state of his lungs, and I asked them to check for tumours or anything visible in his trachea region.

But my Bubs is 7 now, and they were taking his age into account for his treatment.

MissFloppyears, it was the most frightening thing to have happened to me with my buns. My thoughts have been with you today.

When my Mr Bubbles was admitted, the vet said they would postpone doing an x-ray as he was too poorly. He had fluid coming from his nose and mouth :(. Even when the choking had stopped for him, they done the x-ray without sedation as they didn't want to risk setting him back. The vet told me they wouldn't get such good results though.

For his x-rays, they were checking the state of his lungs, and I asked them to check for tumours or anything visible in his trachea region.

But my Bubs is 7 now, and they were taking his age into account for his treatment.

MissFloppyears, it was the most frightening thing to have happened to me with my buns. My thoughts have been with you today.

Thankyou weedug, Its horrid to watch, By the time we had reached the vet he had stopped coughing and Drooling just breathing rappidly through his nose and holding his head high :(
i have gone through everything over and over and i just cant understand any other reason why hed have been choking. He was Deffinately a healthy rabbit.:?
Thus meaning the SS pellet would be to fault.. But that didnt show in the x-ray.
I just dont understand it at all:cry:
I can only remember the fear in his eyes and him desperately trying to breathe

Thankyou weedug, Its horrid to watch, By the time we had reached the vet he had stopped coughing and Drooling just breathing rappidly through his nose and holding his head high :(
i have gone through everything over and over and i just cant understand any other reason why hed have been choking. He was Deffinately a healthy rabbit.:?
Thus meaning the SS pellet would be to fault.. But that didnt show in the x-ray.
I just dont understand it at all:cry:
I can only remember the fear in his eyes and him desperately trying to breathe

That would have killed me.Thinking now,imagining it now, has me in tears.

I am so sorry what seems to be another freak accident has taken the life of yet another of your pets:cry:
Binky free Brian

Back