• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering?

lovelybun

Warren Scout
Hi,:)
I was planning on getting maddy spayed next month and was wondering what risks there are associated with spaying?
Also Chris Isn't neutered and I am woundering if a spayed female and an unneutered male can live together?
Chris Is quite calm.
Also, can male rabbits have health problems if they aren't neutered?:?
If yes, I will get them both neutered.:D

It's healthier for rabbits both male and female to be spayed/neutered :) I believe males who are not neutered have a chance of testicular cancer.

A spayed female and neutered male are better as with an unneatuerd male he is full of hormones, he might not leave her alone and she may attack him.

There are risks with these things as its a big op for a little body but there are health benefits, get rid of the uterus, can't get uterine cancer. Which is affecting a lot more female buns now.

Last edited:
:wave: I would definitely not recommend putting an unneutered male with a neutered female, even if he is a lovely calm bun now, when he is with the female his hormones will go into overdrive and he kill have the urge to mate her constantly - which will be very frustrating for him and very annoying for her, and is likely to just lead to stressed or fighting bund. The other big risk is that over excited boy buns can often mount the wronged end and hump the female's head too (they can also do this a bit during bonding but that can be stopped, whereas it will continue where the bun is unneutered), and there is therefore a huge risk that the female bun will get annoyed and will bite his bits...ouch! There aren't specific health problems for males whose testicles have descended normally, neutering for males is more recommended to allow them to live happily with a partner without frustration - and to prevent hormonally driven behaviour such as spraying and humping, which many but not all male buns will do.

There are risks with spaying as there are with any operation, for instance the bun might react badly to the anaesthetic especially if there is an unknown underlying problem, also there is the possibility that adhesions will form because the abdomen has to be opened up (in males the abdomen is not opened so this is a much lesser risk) and the wound could theoretically get infected or the bun could open the wound up. But all these risks are very small in the hands of a competent vet - much lower risk than the risk of the bun developing uterine cancer or pyometra later in life if left unspayed.

To stand the best chance of a successful long term bond with happy, healthy bunnies, I would advise getting both neutered and allowing them about 6 weeks to calm down and recover post-op before trying to bond them.

Good luck :D

Back