• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why, Widget, Why??!!

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Of all the times to develop a limp in her left front foot, why does Widget have to have this happen two days before I am due to go on holiday for two weeks. :cry::cry: She seems to be able move it, wash with it and put some weight on it but it is clearly bothering her and she seems weak on it. I only notced it today whilst reviewing some footage on my new camcorder that I took on Friday and then I looked at her more carefully this morning and could see how it was bothering her. I did call the vet and they suggested I wait until the planned appointment we have tomorrow, which we had booked for a check up and vaccs. Can anyone give some advice on how bad it looks? :( Please can we have some vibes that it is just a sprain rather than a break? She is still eating well and seems otherwise okay in herself.

http://youtu.be/Tw_NGM2tMN0

Of all the times to develop a limp in her left front foot, why does Widget have to have this happen two days before I am due to go on holiday for two weeks. :cry::cry: She seems to be able move it, wash with it and put some weight on it but it is clearly bothering her and she seems weak on it. I only notced it today whilst reviewing some footage on my new camcorder that I took on Friday and then I looked at her more carefully this morning and could see how it was bothering her. I did call the vet and they suggested I wait until the planned appointment we have tomorrow, which we had booked for a check up and vaccs. Can anyone give some advice on how bad it looks? :( Please can we have some vibes that it is just a sprain rather than a break? She is still eating well and seems otherwise okay in herself.

http://youtu.be/Tw_NGM2tMN0

Cant play the vid, says it is 'being processed'

Have you checked all her toes. A dislocated toe can easily occur. I'll check back on the vid in a bit and see if it'll play

Sending vibes for her xx

Thanks Jane, I'll get the vet to check tomorrow. Sometimes she misjudges a jump up so may have just pulled something. She is a big bunny with quite delicate front legs. Vid now working I think..

She is taking a bit of weight on it, I doubt it is a fracture but obviously it is impossible to say for certain

Has her left ear always semi-lopped ?

Yes, always! except sometimes in the heat she let's it down, but that's usually how she carries it. :D

That's good as the other thing that can cause lameness is neurological issues,strange ear lopping can also occur. But it is unusual for neurological issues to present as front leg lameness/weakness in the first instance.

She may have damaged a ligament or pulled a muscle. Or she may have a soft tissue injury on the pad of her foot

Good luck at the Vets xx

Oh no widget, hope it's nothing serious!

If there's anything I can do while you're on holiday just let me know!

Thanks folks, I've just been out to feed them, she can put some weight on it and it isn't really slowing her down, she's still managing to get about on the different levels in the aviary, trying to get the lion's share of the food as usual. If the vet advises confinement we will have to make a few alterations, maybe confine them to the kennel and take away the platform to the cat flap or try and put some ramps in somehow. :? will let you know how we get on at the vet. Thanks for the offer Kath, Ian will be here to look after them but may need some help if she needs any treatment. Hopefully not though!

Thanks folks, I've just been out to feed them, she can put some weight on it and it isn't really slowing her down, she's still managing to get about on the different levels in the aviary, trying to get the lion's share of the food as usual. If the vet advises confinement we will have to make a few alterations, maybe confine them to the kennel and take away the platform to the cat flap or try and put some ramps in somehow. :? will let you know how we get on at the vet. Thanks for the offer Kath, Ian will be here to look after them but may need some help if she needs any treatment. Hopefully not though!

Yes maybe sounds like she has jumped/landed awkwardly, hopefully nothing serious. Yes maybe remove things she can jump on/off etc.
Let us know how you get on!

Thank you, we are heading to the vets in a couple of hours time. I have been out this morning, she is still jumping around like a loon and eating like a horse. She is definitely putting weight on it at certain times, but holding it up a lot as well.

Thank you, we are heading to the vets in a couple of hours time. I have been out this morning, she is still jumping around like a loon and eating like a horse. She is definitely putting weight on it at certain times, but holding it up a lot as well.

Good luck at the Vets xx

Thanks Jane, I feel like a complete emotional wreck at a time where I'm supposed to be really excited about my safari. The buns were both ill last time I went away too. I was so hoping that nothing more would go wrong...:cry:

I keep trying to say to myself that if they have to be confined then it is better I'm not here because they will be left alone and not be bothered by coming into the house or going out in their run. But it is hard. Ian is good with them though so hopefully it will be fine, I'm probably just emotional because a lot of things have got on top of me and this is the last straw. Anyway, going to have to get them ready soon..

Bigwigless checking in. Unfortunately we've had to restrain the buns to one level, in order to prevent exacerbation of Widget's injury. Metacam on a fenugreek crunchie seems to be madam's preferred method of painkiller nomming. As of this evening's muck out, she seemed to be more comfortable with putting weight on the foot and was using it to rake up the new hay in the litter tray with gusto.

Back