• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water Dispensing Methods

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
I give my rabbits large ceramic bowls (300ml) to drink from but I have noticed lately that they are emptying the bowls throughout the night. For now I give two bowls but I'm deliberating about either buying them bottles to go with the bowls. Or I could buy bigger bowls. Or I have also considered those chicken water feeders, you get a cat version too.

Are any of those methods particularly hygienic reducing the build up of green scum and or reducing the amount of water affected by dust particles and hay?

I give my rabbits large ceramic bowls (300ml) to drink from but I have noticed lately that they are emptying the bowls throughout the night. For now I give two bowls but I'm deliberating about either buying them bottles to go with the bowls. Or I could buy bigger bowls. Or I have also considered those chicken water feeders, you get a cat version too.

Are any of those methods particularly hygienic reducing the build up of green scum and or reducing the amount of water affected by dust particles and hay?

Mine much prefer large bowls of water to slurp from rather than bottles, and I find they are easier to keep clean.

I have this and really like it. The rabbits find it easy to drink from like a bowl but it stays cleaner, can't be tipped and is easy to carry around when full. Mine are so messy that a bowl needs replacing several times a day, this thing holds plenty of water for a full day :)

bottlebowl-1.jpg

Great suggestions thank you :D

Ali how do you fill that thing and does it leak at all?

ETA which size do you have and what is the volume it can hold?

Sorry for the questions :oops:

I have one very similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Food-Water-Dispenser-Croquettes/dp/B004ZPWQDU

It holds a good few litres, but I don't use it for that reason, I mainly use it because the additional capacity makes it heavy enough that my little monsters can't tip it over :lol:

It does get green quite quickly, and in particular the back of the little 'dam' which holds the water in the reservoir gets icky so you do have to clean it regularly. It's very easy to clean and fill though, the top pops off so you can access all parts easily, and to fill it up I just turn the reservoir upside down, fill it up, place the top on, then carry it upside down to the pen, then when I'm in the right place in the pen, flip the whole thing over so the first bit of water flows out into the dish without spilling everywhere!

I had one very similar to Santa's when I had bunnies. The reason I changed was because one of my bunnies was constantly getting her dewlap wet in a regular bowl, which resulted in a fungal infection. It was a really simple change that helped a lot. I never had any trouble keeping it clean, and it held a lot of water.

I vote get a bigger bowl :lol: my bowls hold over a litre. I use the big ceramic brown ones that say 'dog' on them.

I'm intrigued by yours though Battlekat, I'd always have a bowl in the run, but a bottle like that in the hutch would save space. Mine dont drink as much from a bottle as they do when they have a bowl, and Barney usually goes through 600-1200ml a day, so its important he has easy access to water to stay hydrated. From the reviews it doesnt look like it comes with a mount though, and my DIY skills are terrible!

Great suggestions thank you :D

Ali how do you fill that thing and does it leak at all?

ETA which size do you have and what is the volume it can hold?

Sorry for the questions :oops:

I have the big one. You take the blue part off and turn it upside down to fill it. Next the white base goes on then you quickly flip it back over, it doesn't drip or leak at all.

Back