• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I doing right thing?

Dory

New Kit
I'm new so apologize if this has been done before! I have just made the decision to get my two mini Rex brothers castrated and just want some positive feed back from others who have made this decision. What can I expect in terms of behaviour changes and their health afterwards?

Would also like to hear from those who either regretted the decision or didn't go through with it and wished they had.

Many thanks :)

Best thing I have done :thumb: It has it's health benefits but it also meant I could find Donny a friend and once Lola was spayed they were bonded :) Neutering is usually a straight forward thing and not as invasive as a spay :)

Thank you both. We were only at the vets a couple of days ago for their vaccinations and she gave them a clean bill of health. My intention was to just observe them and if they started fighting then to go ahead and castrate them. But when I read that it can take a month for the hormones to settle then I changed my mind and thought perhaps before they start fighting would be better so I don't have to faff about separating them for four weeks. And as they are young and vet said they appeared in great shape that maybe now is a good time while they young and healthy :)

Good thinking and according to Cottontails Rabbit Rescue if you castrate 2 brothers before any fighting then they will bond for life! But if they fight prior to neeutering then it doesn't look very hopeful. Cottontails neuter hundreds of buns every year.

You are absolutely doing the right thing. With male bunnies it's not a case of if they start fighting, but when. And the instinct of male bunnies when they fight each other is to use their teeth to try and castrate each other, can you imagine how painful that would be even if you happened to be there and split them up straight away, let alone if you are not! Working with rescues I have seen some extremely serious injuries to boy bunnies where they have been kept with other boys, those injuries include one who was left with a wonky willy which meant he weed all over his leg, both unpleasant for him and putting him at risk of flystrike, and another case where the injury was so serious that the bunny actually died.

Given that fighting is inevitable, it is far, far better to do it before they fight so that they can remain friends, happy and injury free, rather than wait until it is too late when they will have painful injuries and will probably never be friends again. Definitely the right decision, check that your vet is happy for them to be done as soon as their testicles drop - usually about 12 weeks.
Good luck :)

That's good to know!!! :) Feeling much better about decision now many thanks everyone. These are my first rabbits ( well my children's rabbits really) and I want to be the best owner I can be and do what is best to keep them happy and healthy.

I just hope I can get them booked in quickly

Back