• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rabbit <3

BexPets

Warren Scout
This is Maisie:
SAM_9256.jpg

SAM_9254.jpg

She was born on the 11th May 2012 and we got her two days ago from a breeder we found online. The breeder had 15 accidental baby rabbits and was due to move house to where they had no garden.
There were three rabbits left in the run when we arrived, and they struggled fiercely when the owners tried to pick them up.

She seemed fine when we held her:
SAM_9232.jpg

SAM_9227.jpg

SAM_9237.jpg

The breeders said that her father was a Rex - I'm not entirely sure, but he was rounder than a Rex, not hare-shaped and definitely didn't have the velvet fur - and that her mother was a Rex Lop. The mother was an enormous lop again with no velvet fur.

We have a pair of neutered males who've begun to disagree and had a fight which looked like it would turn serious if they hadn't been seperated. Conveniently my cousin's male rabbit had just died and she wanted a neutered male of similar age for her remaining female. We decided it would be best to give her the male and get a new female for our remaining one.

SAM_9258.jpg

SAM_9246.jpg

She's 11 weeks old but has never had a water bottle before and cannot grasp how to use it. It's very hot at the moment so we're giving her a bowl and a bottle, but she tips over the bowl or sits in it and has shown no interest in the bottle.
Any ideas?

Gorgeous bunny. :love:

Mine get on fine with their ceramic bowl for water. It gets changed once a day and never gets messy.

Good luck with her!

yes, gorgeous.

some forum people have recommended this - keeps the water clean as opposed to a bowl which might get mucky very quick.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/feeder_water_bottles/bowls/14454

I bought one of these for mine and it lasted a week, they chewed the lid off and they would poop in it, the poop would float up in to the main water part and the whole lot would get contaminated. I would say if you have to give water out of a bowl using one of these means you can give them more water but other than that they don't keep the water any cleaner and are very expensive when they can be chewed through in minutes. :roll:

As for how to encourage the use of a water bottle, you could try dipping the end in a little bit of honey of blackcurrent to encourage licking the end. Once she starts licking and the water starts coming out she should get the idea.

Back