• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can snuffles be fatal? Pls help!!

Can the snuffles be fatal for a bunny if left untreated?
Please help as I know someone who got a rabbit which is showing symptoms of the snuffles. The bunny showed signs about 4 weeks ago and his owners haven't taken him to a vet to be checked out. He is definitely getting worse.
Please help!!! Thank you xx

Sadly there isn't anything we can do to help, but yes, it can be fatal, sometimes even when treated. Clearly the bunny needs a vet (but remember it may not actually be a respiratory infection because dental problems can present some similar symptoms) and that's about all you can say. Another option would be to alert the RSPCA who could potentially go round and tell them to seek vet attention and monitor, hopefully, until they do, or remove the rabbit/s if they don't. However, maybe best thing to do would be to try and educate them to ensure they realise what they are doing and what the bunny needs.

The bunny is only 16 months old, he's the brother of my bunny. He is my brother and sister in law bunny. I've warned my mother that he is ill. Me my mum and my daughter have seen him with a runny nose, his breathing is all crackly, he shaking his head. He doesn't seem well at all. My mum asked my sister in law if he ok, my sister in law said he's fine. We are all going away abroad next week for a week.

How long does it take a bunny to go downhill with the snuffles?

How about showing them something (like the 'When to seek vet attention for a bunny' at the top of this forum) and identify what he is struggling with, and how that list (which I wrote, and give out to anyone adopting from the RSPCA I volunteer with) shows that he needs medical attention?

It varies. What is happening to the bunny when you all go away?

Could you offer to take the bunny to the vet for them?

My aunt is having him for the week while we are away. Hopefully my aunt will see and hear his breathing and take him to the vets to be check out.
Me and my brother had a big argument about his bunny cos he said its none of my concern and he will sort his bunny out.
He's still haven't taken him to the vets when it's very clear the bunny is suffering.
They think there's nothing wrong with him and it is very clear he is I'll and suffering.
On Monday just gone my mother said if they make an appointment with the vet can I take the bunny up there. I said yes. It hasn't happened.
I feel sorry for my two nephews as it is their bunny. They are only 3 and 5. They will be most upset if the bunny passes.
If nothing has been done when I get back from holiday I will have to ring the RSPCA as I don't like any animals suffering.
It upsets me.

If your Brother is not receptive, then how about priming the aunt, and giving her various strategic bits of info, and say you're giving the same info to whoever is looking after your bunny, so thought you would do it for the other bunny too, to make life easier for her, or something? If she is smart she'll read it and identify that he needs a vet (especially if you print out the info from the page I previously mentioned).

Thank you do much for your help :)
I will print the page that you have mentioned above to give it to my aunt and fingers crossed she will read it and take the bunny to the vets to be checked out.
It's hard to know what to do in these circumstances.

Thank you again. Much appreciated :)

Thank you do much for your help :)
I will print the page that you have mentioned above to give it to my aunt and fingers crossed she will read it and take the bunny to the vets to be checked out.
It's hard to know what to do in these circumstances.

Thank you again. Much appreciated :)

*squish* You're welcome. You're right, it IS hard to know what to do, for a variety of reasons. I hope that bunny can get the treatment and help that he needs :)

Could it be that your brother is worried about the cost of taking the bunny to the vet? If you're in a position to, could you consider offering to take the bunny yourself and pay the vet's fees? Of course, you don't want to set a precedent and this is a very awkward situation. I really feel for you :( xxx

The PDSA may help with the cost of veterinary treatment and some local RSPCA centres will provide subsidised treatment.

My brother got a job, I think my brother and sister in law is in denial as they don't want to deal with a ill bunny.
I on the other hand, if I had him as a pet I would take him up to the vets straight away and not leave it till he get much more worse.
I'm a homemaker, single parent with 2 children so I can't really afford to pay the vets fees, my brother can afford to.
If nothing has been done I will ring the RSPCA, they will probably do something.
I hoping my aunt will take him to the vets while we are away abroad for a week.
Thank you. Hopefully it will get sorted one way or another :)

Thank you :) hopefully it will be sorted before we come back home from my holiday abroad, if not I will have to do something. Got to think about the welfare of the bunny.

i am afraid the bunny can't be helped and might die before another week is past.:cry: Why don't you ring the rspca right now?:?

I'll go onto the RSPCA website to see what I can do.

It's hard to know what to do. I am in a no win situation here :-(

The only thing you can do RSPCA wise is to call the national cruelty line on 0300 1234 999. What will be done depends on the Inspector and their knowledge.

What I ment is if you do something today, the bunny may live:), but I don't think it will go on living much longer without vet care.:cry:
Once when i was taking my bunnies to the vet, I heard they were trying find a home for a guinea pig. Maybe you could take your brother's rabbit there and let the vet treat it and find a home for it(he MIGHT, Not all vets do).;)
You could call the shelter and ask if they would take the bunny (they would treat it -if possible, and find a new home).:)
Euthanizing is another option:(.:angel:
I hope you have the bunny taken care of soon!:D
Good Luck!!!:wave:

Thank you :)

I've tried talking to my brother and it ends up in a big argument with him saying that there is nothing wrong with his bunny, when there is clearly something wrong with it.

My brother and my sister in law are both in total denial.

At the moment I could scream my head off lol

I will everyone posted with any developments :)

Back