• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with bald spot with scam in middle on neck

secaly

New Kit
Hello everyone I have a problem and can't make it to the vet at the moment but I have an issue with my bunny... actually it's spreading. My Fuzzy Lop has a bald spot on its neck and although he did get into fights with the boys the other fight scabs are way different from this one. And I also noticed my other bunny a boy he fought with now also has a scab on its back no fur loss yet cause he has short hair. Anyways I looked at ringworm and it doesn't look like it at all it's scabby and pointy on the edges and I can't remove it. It's not a regular scab that you can pull out and then it would bleed its something attached so tight to the skin that you can't remove it. I don't mind treating him but I can't afford $100 vet bill right now. I went to see the vet when my bunny jumped too high and I though she broke her back she was not walking anymore so that was life and death but this is a skin desease I just need to find out what it is. Here are the pictures:

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

Your help is much appreciated.
thanks.

Last edited:
This is what it looked like a week ago

Now the reason the above pictures look so hairless it's cause I tried to put polysporin on it but it didn't work.

securedownload.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a puncture wound from a bite. It is very likely to develop into an abscess if you do not obtain Veterinary attention.

Even if it is not a puncture wound the only way you are going to find out what it is to have a Vet examine him. Just trying various 'home treatments' could make things worse if you dont know what the problem actually is.

It will be a false economy to try to avoid a Vet fee now, it could turn out to be a lot more expensive if home treatments based on trial and error exacerbate the problem

I would try to keep your Bucks apart as fight wounds can be very nasty indeed.

I think you'd be better taking him to the vets over this too. It looks so sore and as Jane says, it's a false economy to treat him yourself - you could make things much worse unknowingly. Please get him the treatment he needs. I really hope he makes a speedy recovery. :thumb:

Actually i know its not ringworm and i know its not from other rabbits he is kept alone. And another one is also starting it. Exactely the same thing. I guess i will have to try and find a cheeper vet cause minw charge $100. Thanks.

I won't dip my sheep as it is too stessful, I certainly wouldn't advocate dipping a rabbit:shock::shock:
Certainly not with Malathion. IMO far to potent for a home treatment, perhaps with the vets advise :?
If it is spreading to your other buns, your going to need the vet to diagnose the problem, before you end up paying for the whole lot to be treated:thumb:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...sNYOm0QXk3ICgDQ&ved=0CF0QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=533

It's possible that something that looks like a wound can be cheyletiella mite.

If so, it is easy to treat with xeno 200 - depending on weight of the bunny in question. A vet will easily be able to provide the correct treatment which is normally a 6 week course.

The advice will normally be to treat all the pets in the household.

It's important to have a vet diagnose so not to give the wrong treatment.

You should be able to treat all your bunnies with the same spray providing you don't have too many. I would also recommend treating other household pets as it can spread easily to cats and dogs.

It can also appear on human skin and it is normally around the waist where human beings are affected.

Hope this helps,

~Jane

Last edited:
You guys were right they are all bites from their fighting last week I can see all of the scabs are falling out now... I will continu watching but I feel much better now thanks.
I would not have dipped my bunnies and I only have 7 so not that many.

Have you seen a vet yet?

Are your rabbits neutered? Why were they together if they are apart now, were they bonded or were you bonding or were they just let out to play together?

Back