• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help!!

I have 5 rescue rabbits, 4 have been neutered/spayed apart from a girl (18 weeks) I have had to take in recently 'her owners just dont have the time' - she is booked in to be spayed on monday.

My boy - Ozzie, was neutered 2 weeks ago, was running around the garden, hubby came in and thought he had escaped and has put him in the run not realising lola was in the hideaway. I managed to get out there quickly, but I think he may have been humping.

I am 100% against breeding (unless through an experienced breeder) which im not. Ive called the vets and they said she will most probably be ok but someone else has advised they can father babies up until 6 weeks post op!!!

what can I do, and how will I know if shes pregnant. shes only a baby herself!!

Im so angry but no hubby hadnt done it intentionally, I just dont know what to do!

can anyone give me some advice?

I think males do remain fertile for up to 6 weeks. You could take her to the vets asap and they could do an emergency spay, removing any potential babies in the process.

Try not to worry too much, accidents happen sometimes. At least you saw early enough to do something about it.

Whilst it is possible she could conceive it is unlikely. I would discuss the situation with your Vet who may advise an early spay.

If she's booked in to be spayed on Monday anyway then even if she is very early pregnancy, she can still be spayed without problem.

To be honest it's highly, highly unlikely. When I got my first rescue rabbits in about 1999 I was told to wait 2 weeks post-neuter before introducing them to a female, that was the norm at the time. As the years have passed, the recommendation has moved from 2 weeks to 3 weeks (just to be on the safe side) and from 3 to 4, more recently to 6 and now I hear some people talking about 8 weeks! This is mostly to give time for hormones to calm down and adjust. A male castration removes the testicles in their entirety, so the only sperm remaining will be any which are still left in the tubes and ducts after the procedure, and these won't live long providing that the operation has been done correctly.

If I were you, I would just get her spayed as you were originally planning, as she will 99% likely not be pregnant and even if she is, it will be so early that barely nothing will have happened by then anyway.

Good luck xx

Back