• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boy bunnies vs Girl bunnies!!

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
A nurse at our old vets once said to me "bucks make such better pets than does"
I have had many bunnies in the past and dont agree! Think it depends on the individual rabbit.
Has anyone else ever heard this? Be interested to know if thers any truth behind it or was she talking abouslute :censored: lol!

I have had girls and boys and, once neutered, I have found no difference between them.

Depends on the bunny I'd say! I have a neutered buck who is rather grumpy and an unspayed female who's a real sweetheart! It all comes down to personality :)

I was recommended to take a buck because they were less grumpy than does. I must say Spenser can do a pretty good grump though! :lol:

i have to say my boy is awesome! so far ive mostly had girls and theve always been somewhat aloof. dont get me wrong, i love them but boys are best for me

My boys are totally different. One is very friendly and outgoing and trusting the other is much more aloof and wary of humans. It depends on the rabbit and their history IMO.

I was told to get a buck first cause they are better when it comes to hormones before and after neutering. I think it depends on the bun cause I have one boy who is a massive grump and the other is a softie. Same with my girls too.

I suspect this is a throw-back to the days before neutering, when females were grumpy because they were hormonal and territorial, and males were "friendly" because of their sexual frustration being interpreted as them loving their owners. I have had friendly and unfriendly boys and girls so I don't think it makes a lot of difference in neutered bunnies, but I suspect that for owners of unneutered bunnies, boys would be less likely to be aggressive so I reckon it stems from that.

Last edited:
My boys have all been lovely, neutered or not, the girls have all been little cows somepoint in their life :lol: I've only ever been bitten by females, even when spayed, so males all the way for me, even if they are messier :lol:

I suspect this is a throw-back to the days before neutering, when females were grumpy because they were hormonal and territorial, and males were "friendly" because of their sexual frustration being interpreted as them loving their owners. I have had friendly and unfriendly boys and girls so I don't think it makes a lot of difference in neutered bunnies, but I suspect that for owners of unneutered bunnies, boys would be less likely to be aggressive so I reckon it stems from that.

That makes a lot of sense. Nutmeg kind of has learned hormonal behaviour IMO from being spayed later in life which comes out in her being grumpy, especially with regards to other rabbits.

I remember getting Bella and being so worried that she'd turn out to be a little :censored:, but she's such a lovely little girl. She was aggressive towards Boris at first because I got her at 4 months when she was just entering her "teens" and all of a sudden became very territorial. But she hasn't so much as growled at me :) Which Boris still does regularly :lol:

Back