• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back from the vet regarding Dolly's teeth..

k1984

Mama Doe
...and the vet kept saying it's not good news. She had her incisors burred, and the vet checked her back molars. She said that they are not causing a problem at the moment, but look to be growing at different angles. The vet was shocked at the state of Dolly's mouth for such a young rabbit and literally said the outlook for her isn't good.
She said that she would require regular GA to sort both her front and back teeth and really it's up to me to decide whether it's worth putting her through it.

I don't want to give up on her because of just her teeth! I don't want her suffering either.
She had her teeth burred today, and I'm going to keep a very careful watchful eye on her to 1)see how quickly they grow back, 2) and signs of discomfort (the vet told me what to look out for) and take treatment from there.

She's only 6 months old. My poor poor little girl :cry:

So sorry to hear about poor Dolly. You will just have to do as you say and see how it goes. I did hear somewhere that if you have the incisors removed then it helps the molars to stay even. But maybe this doesn't apply to all buns.

At her worst, Ginger needs dentals every 2-3 weeks. She copes well, even with kidney problems.

It depends how she copes.

It might be worth looking at her diet, and possibly looking at different types of hay. We can extend times through diet, but every bunny is different.

What is her diet like? And be honest, even if its not ideal, as all i want to do is help.

I feed her burgess pellets and she has piles of meadow hay. She gets a bit of carrot or greens in an evening. What else could I be doing for her?

...and the vet kept saying it's not good news. She had her incisors burred, and the vet checked her back molars. She said that they are not causing a problem at the moment, but look to be growing at different angles. The vet was shocked at the state of Dolly's mouth for such a young rabbit and literally said the outlook for her isn't good.
She said that she would require regular GA to sort both her front and back teeth and really it's up to me to decide whether it's worth putting her through it.

I don't want to give up on her because of just her teeth! I don't want her suffering either.
She had her teeth burred today, and I'm going to keep a very careful watchful eye on her to 1)see how quickly they grow back, 2) and signs of discomfort (the vet told me what to look out for) and take treatment from there.

She's only 6 months old. My poor poor little girl :cry:

I would suggest that if Dolly requires frequent Incisor treatment that you discuss having the Incisors removed. I would want skull radiographs taken too so a full picture of her Dental problems can be established.

Given her age it is like that her Dental problems are at least in part genetic in origin. So if you know who bred her I would urge you to let them know and to politely suggest they do not continue to breed from that line.

There is some useful information about various forms of malocclusion on these links

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CongenIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CongenIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.htm

I expect your Vet already mentioned this, but keeping a regular check on Dolly's weight is an important part of monitoring her condition. I would suggest weighing her every 2-3 days. 3 consecutive losses with no obvious cause-ie no apparent reduction of food intake- always merits a Vet check.

I feed her burgess pellets and she has piles of meadow hay. She gets a bit of carrot or greens in an evening. What else could I be doing for her?

How many pellets per day?
Where do you obtain your hay from?
Does your bunny eat a lot of hay?
What are his/her living environment?

Back