• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are the chances of a rabbit surviving a broken leg without surgery?

I knew my rabbit's leg was not right because it was sticking out. I took him to the vet and found out that he had a broken leg. The only thing the doctor offered was leg surgery to fix it (which would cost $700+), or putting the rabbit down. I would not have my rabbit put down and definitely could not afford to have the surgery. I need to know if the rabbit could survive without surgery. I'd like to know what kind of pain medicine a rabbit could be given to ease its struggle to be better again.

Last edited:
What type of Fracture is it ?

I hope the Vet has prescribed pain relief ? Your Rabbit cannot be left without that whilst you decide what to do. If you cannot afford treatment and there are no charitable organisations/sanctuaries who could help then PTS would be the kindest option. It would be inhumane to leave him untreated and suffering.

It's better if the animal was put to sleep rather than living a painful life because you cannot afford treatment.

What's better, a long painful life that cannot even be controlled with pain relief or putting the rabbit to sleep where he'll be pain free forever ?

:(

Sorry you're in this situation

Pain relief is essential and surgery Id presume if broken....but Jane would know;)

What about paying the vet bill off in a p ayment scheme each month at an affordable rate?

Is amputation not a cheaper option for you and bunny? While not cheap it is usually cheaper than having a leg operated and pinned :?

Back