• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet bottom? Advice please.

pawsup

New Kit
This afternoon when I got my rabbits out for some exercise I noticed that where Flymo (Doe, aged 4, spayed) had been sitting there was a wet patch. It was clear liquid and didn't smell and was also on her bottom and back legs.

She hasn't eaten as much as usual today but has had a little dry food and hay. She is usually a greedy guts but didn't empty the bowl today but then neither did her friend Bailey (maybe the hot weather?)

She was sitting in a box when I picked her up to bring her back in this evening and again there was a big wet patch where she had been sitting.

Does anyone know what this might be? I'm getting worried

Her poos are a bit wet too at the moment too. She does have a sensitive tummy and this happens from time to time.

Any help and advise would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance :)

She needs to be examined by a Vet

She may have a urinary tract infection, bladder sludge, cystitis or a neurological problem effecting her ability to feel the need to pass urine, so her bladder leaks when overfull.

She should be seen by a Vet ASAP and in the meantime you need to clean her up and dry her off. Left wet with urine she is at very high risk of urine scald and/or flystrike. The latter can kill within a few hours.

I would advise you to try to take every possible precaution to minimise the ability of flies entering her environment. So some sort of netting over the hutch/run if outdoors. An old net curtain will do.

Thank you for your reply :)

I checked on her again after I posted and she was huddled in a corner, sitting in a puddle and her wee was pink :( So I took her to the emergency vet.

She gave her antibiotics and pain relief. Thankfully overnight she has been eating, drinking and pooing and her bottom is no longer wet. We have a follow up appointment this morning to discuss further treatment :)

Back