• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hot weather - cool bun?

sharkfur

Warren Scout
Hi there bunbuds. just a quick question... Since the weather is awfully hot, it must be unbearable for the buns to wear their coat like this... I know there are tools that you can buy in stores and fill them with cold water so that the bun can lie on them... But are there any good "quick" solutions? Do you think it is a good idea that I tend to make his ears wet (not the inside of course) as well as his scruff?

Hi there bunbuds. just a quick question... Since the weather is awfully hot, it must be unbearable for the buns to wear their coat like this... I know there are tools that you can buy in stores and fill them with cold water so that the bun can lie on them... But are there any good "quick" solutions? Do you think it is a good idea that I tend to make his ears wet (not the inside of course) as well as his scruff?

Yep, that can certainly help as can providing good shaded areas. You can also put a ceramic tile in the freezer for a bit and then put it into Bun's living quarters.

Bottles of frozen water :) mine tend to ignore theirs :roll: but I give them several ice cubes and they like to lie on them/lick them :D

Bottles of frozen water :) mine tend to ignore theirs :roll: but I give them several ice cubes and they like to lie on them/lick them :D

I'm always afraid to give him ice cubes, don't want him to get a cold or something..their immune system is so silly sometimes :) but might try it :)

I'm always afraid to give him ice cubes, don't want him to get a cold or something..their immune system is so silly sometimes :) but might try it :)

Rabbits can't get colds :D I think the only thing ice cubes would do is give them a cold damp patch :lol:

Louie has just been lying outside in the direct sun :shock:

It's much cooler inside, silly boy!

Frozen bottles are great!! Mine have one each, and an ice pod each too (the bottles seem to last longer than the ice pods - they like to lie on the ice pod's tho :D

i've just ordered a couple of cage fans, one of them has a clip on ice pack, so they'll have their very own mini air con unit (the fan is automatic too, so it'll come on when the temperature rises).

Frozen bottles are great!! Mine have one each, and an ice pod each too (the bottles seem to last longer than the ice pods - they like to lie on the ice pod's tho :D

i've just ordered a couple of cage fans, one of them has a clip on ice pack, so they'll have their very own mini air con unit (the fan is automatic too, so it'll come on when the temperature rises).

wow..that sounds so neat..I can so imagine the lil fluffballs enjoying the mild breeze :D

wow..that sounds so neat..I can so imagine the lil fluffballs enjoying the mild breeze :D

:) I hope they like it, cost enough! :lol: I can imagine Tia just sitting infront of it... then shuffling so her bum gets cool, then shuffling back so her face gets some air.... i shall take pictures of their response to it :D

:) I hope they like it, cost enough! :lol: I can imagine Tia just sitting infront of it... then shuffling so her bum gets cool, then shuffling back so her face gets some air.... i shall take pictures of their response to it :D

Good! I hope I wont miss it..I'm curious :D

I have been really worried about them today as it isn't just hot but it is sort of a horrible humid haze. And going into the shade makes no difference in temp for them. It's already 6 and they are both sprawled out in the shaded mud not wanting to do anything :(

So I have 2 bottles of frozen water which Rosie really appreciates, I wetted the ground a little, wetted ears, fed grapes and cucumber from time to time, two bowls of cool water to drink, I have tried to create as much shade as possible by hanging up all the tarp around the garden and a couple of tiles, although they don't seem too keen on those.

I have had to get the paddling pool out earlier just to dip my feet after a walk back from the shops as they got all swollen. It's too hot.

I have just looked out of my window and I can see huge fluffy clouds in the distance. Tomorrow will hopefully be cloudy and cool

trigger is my special needs bun as I call her. If it gets over 85-90 she starts to dehydrate fast and gets really hot(open mouth panting, and she barley drinks any water anyway). I about lost her last week. her eyes glossed over and she never moved. So called the vet and he said since I couldn't bring her in(dont drive,only 15 and parents were at work) to put more frozen water bottles around her9thanks goodness I always freeze extras) take a damp cloth and rub around her scruff and put a fan on her. I also forced her to drink some water(she did NOT like that at all,lol). She perked right back up the next day and was brought inside. So know she has water bottles all around her cage and is watched closely.

Oreo- he gets frozen water bottles. he likes to lay where the sun get shim though!

trigger is my special needs bun as I call her. If it gets over 85-90 she starts to dehydrate fast and gets really hot(open mouth panting, and she barley drinks any water anyway). I about lost her last week. her eyes glossed over and she never moved. So called the vet and he said since I couldn't bring her in(dont drive,only 15 and parents were at work) to put more frozen water bottles around her9thanks goodness I always freeze extras) take a damp cloth and rub around her scruff and put a fan on her. I also forced her to drink some water(she did NOT like that at all,lol). She perked right back up the next day and was brought inside. So know she has water bottles all around her cage and is watched closely.

Oreo- he gets frozen water bottles. he likes to lay where the sun get shim though!

Have you tried feeding fresh foods that have been rinsed or soaked in water, and feeding her pellets soggy, so that more liquid gets into her? You could also try syringe-feeding her water (carefully so she doesnt choke), I had to do this every few hours for my bun once when he wouldnt drink after an operation. If need be you can always take a taxi to the vets. eta- she may need sub-cut fluids if badly dehydrated.

Last edited:
Back