• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anesthesia - takes that long?

Fennic

Warren Scout
Hi guys, first time with a bunny op- Shes gone in for spaying I was told when I called up at 2PM that shes still drowsy from the anesthesia, and she was operated on this morning. I don't know if i'm just fretting or such, but still being drowsy from anesthesia 3 - 4 hours later, is that normal?

(She has also had a pack lunch, hay and a cover to recover on sent up there also with her just to note)

Yip, totally normal to be drowsy all day. My Herbie was all over the place at home, staggering about :(

That is to be expected, we always worry when our babies are in for ops etc.....shows how much we care :)

my bun got 4 times anesthesia till now. Once she was drowsy for quite a while! What anesthesia do vet use for your bunny? Mine uses some little quantities of gaz anesthesia since she is afraid that the usual one might harm my bun.

well I suppose they know best. tough a vet told a friend of mine, whose bunny had an abscess and needed an immediate operation, that 2/3 of the bunnies die during the anesthesia. She got afraid for it, delayed for too long and her bunny died. When I went to my vet with my eyes like :shock: before Chrisi's teeth extraction, she said that it's all wrong and that that the percentage is very little, when the correct anesthesia is chosen and when the bunny ate well/had fluids.It is very very bad that there aren't enough bunny doctors and the usual ones ignore how gentle animals they are...

Last edited:
Off to pick her up, I feel terrible about doing this to her, even though I know it's nessesary. :cry:

oh don't worry dear she'll be perky again very quickly! The pain goes away quickly and she'll nom nom treats very soon!

Got there, thry brought her out in a blanket, lost my cat carrier, (Thats a damn SIDE LOADER), blanket, hay and veg I had took up with her. Told me they will have to look for it as it's probably been left at the other surgery and gave me a meshed metal carrier thats a top loader to get her home. I don't know if I can even pick her up right now can I? Shes still in it and i'm stressing on how to get her into the rabbit cage she'll be staying in.

my bun got 4 times anesthesia till now. Once she was drowsy for quite a while! What anesthesia do vet use for your bunny? Mine uses some little quantities of gaz anesthesia since she is afraid that the usual one might harm my bun.

Most UK vets use isofluorane I think

So I finally managed to get her into the cage as she climbed back ontop of the cover, i put it down in the cage and a tiny bit of hay in the corner for her to eat, now problem is she decided to climb right ontop of the hay and sit on it rather than the cover. I've not even seen the wound yet. I have no idea what to do with her now sitting in hay when she wasn't meant to. These animals are so difficult. :roll:

So I finally managed to get her into the cage as she climbed back ontop of the cover, i put it down in the cage and a tiny bit of hay in the corner for her to eat, now problem is she decided to climb right ontop of the hay and sit on it rather than the cover. I've not even seen the wound yet. I have no idea what to do with her now sitting in hay when she wasn't meant to. These animals are so difficult. :roll:

Its ok, don't worry. When I picked up Lola the Vet said 'make sure she doesn't jump up any steps for 10 days'. When I got her home she threw herself out of the carrier and did a huge jump into her cage.

I would just leave her, she will move if uncomfortable, Lola lay on her side for a while. I imagine for her being touched and moved is quite stressful too.

She has been walking back and forth slowly, we've cleaned up the hay into a rat poo tray (Not ideal I know, but better than her trying to sleep in it, it was scalded prior to use) and thrown dandilion leaves, pellets and hay within it to try and coax her into eating. Shes not shown much interest though and just wants to sit in the poo tray end of the cage.

Pop her hay in a hay rack or bowl, although it will need topping up often she wont be able to sit in it.

If she usually has veg I'd offer her favourites, it may tempt her to eat.

Perfectly normal for her to be off-colour and sleepy.

Was she given a metacam (painkiller) injection today, and have you been given oral metacam to give her at home for the next few days?

I've been given neither, I don't know if she has had any or not, presumabally though as they do give it to rats after operating. Which type can rabbits take? I believe I have the dog stuff in for the rats (I'm not going to go administering without consulting don't worry) I'm just curious for learning purporses.

Rabbits can have either dog or cat, the only difference is the strength. Give your vets a ring now before it is too late and they'll tell you, or it should say on your invoice? Best give them a ring about dosage and when to start giving it, a spay is an invasive and painful operation so I'd think she would need some.

Back