• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What time of day do you feed pellets?

lilgems91

Mama Doe
Just wondering what time of day you feed your rabbits their pellets :wave:

Is there a recommended time of day or does it just depend on routine ect?

We do pellets in the morning and greens at teatime. I think I recall Ori having to switch when we were adopting him because he was having the other way around.

Mine get their pellets at 8pm (god help us if we're even 5 minutes late).

They get their veg at 7:45am....

Don't think there's any rule, you just have to try and find what suits them (and you) better... Mine are from the RSPCA and they used to get their veg at 4pm, but we're at work at 4pm, so tried giving them veg in the evening but they wouldn't eat it, and it was a pain in the bum to get them back in their shed in a morning before work, so tried giving them their veg as a way to get them back in shed so I could leave for work :)lol:) and it worked :) Now at 7:45 am every morning, they take themselves back into their shed and sit waiting (I actually dont need to look at clock anymore, I hear Tia go in and say oooh its 7:45) - same at 8pm, they just know (they're always out til at least 9pm) and start chucking stuff round the garden / house if we're late!!

Just try them and see which works best :D

I feed my 2 their pellets at night, as they do not have any veggies :(

I darent buy them supermarket veggies that they like such as basic, parsley ect as they made Ben's tummy bad last time :(

I really need to grow some at home but its finding the time!!

For a bun that wont each much hay, is it better to feed them in a morning?

As then they know they will not be fed (apart from hay) until the next morning and will start to feel hungry?

As then they know they will not be fed (apart from hay) until the next morning and will start to feel hungry?

When Scarlet didn't eat hay (she does now) we used to give her extra pellets at night when it was really cold in the winter just to give her extra fuel for keeping warm in the cold nights.
When we wanted to get her eating more hay we cut the pellets back, she would always fill up on pellets first given the choice.

Last thing before I tuck them up for the night. Good indication everyone is ok. If everyone comes running = everyone ok :thumb: :lol:

breakfast pellets - about 9am (9 and half each :lol: of ss)
supper - 7.45pm its got be on dot as they know :shock::lol: and they have veggies/greens

When I wake up so in the morning-afternoon and Trigger gets fed only once a day in summer. She has pellets all day because she doesn't eat much in summer. oreo well I think he is part horse. So he gets fed in the A.M and in the P.M. around 8 or 9. If I free fed him like I do Trigger he would get to the size of a horse :shock: I usually don't free feed my animals,trigs is the only one I do.

I wouldn't, personally, I think it's more important to check that they are eating properly twice a day than once, otherwise by the time you find that they've not eaten breakfast, it could be 24 hours since they last ate and that is much more dangerous than 12 hours. Personally I would split the pellets and feed half the amount morning and evening, or do pellets/veg one way round or the other. In any case, I'd feed twice a day rather than once.

I feed pellets in the morning and veg in the evening for mine. It stems from the days they used to free range, veg took them longer to eat so it gave them more to do in the evenings when they got shut away, and it's just sort of stuck in that routine.

Breakfast pellets at 7.45am on weekdays and 10.30am at weekends so she (and I) can have a 'lie-in!'
Picnic of veggies is normally 6.30pm as we tried to keep the same routine as she had when we got her from pets at home. But fresh hay and water are obviously always provided :)

Mine have a tablespoon of pellets each in the morning, usually between 9 and 10 and fresh hay in all their trays.
Greens or free range grass time at about 3, depending on my shifts.
Then another tablespoon of pellets each and more fresh hay at about 9-10pm.

They don't have a strict routine because I work different hours every week.

My lot get pellets in the evening - normally around 8pm. Herbs/greens are in the morning. Hay in their litter tray is always emptied and topped up at night. They also have a hay box.

Back