• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I had a breakdown yesterday about the rabbits

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
I just feel so tied down by them and how I can't even give them a good life.
I was in tears last night because I feel like I have two kids at 19 and I can't even afford to buy them a run. I can't go out for too long because I think they always need something and people keep saying "why can't your mum feed them tonight" etc etc but she wont. No one else will even try to look after them and so it is always up to me. I didn't even want a rabbit in the first place but my mum put this burden upon me.

I do love them so very, very much.

But I feel like I can't cope on my own and they would be better off with someone else.

I just feel so conflicted and upset and I have no idea what to do...

Unfortunately, having a pet is a huge responsibility. Your mum should be responsible for their health and care if she was the one to purchase them for you.

May i ask, how old are you? If you are <18 (i believe) then it is legally her responsibility to provide the care they require.

Is it a case of maybe getting yourself a bit more organised to do more things at once? Sorry if this sounds stupid. It's just that I realised myself recently that so many of the things I do for the pets at different times could be done together, making things a lot more efficient and meaning I have more free time where I'm not worrying about things I should be doing for them!

Hello sweets. Please forgive me, I don't know much about your circumstances so I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions:

Are you working at the moment? Could you save up to buy them a run?

I assume from what you say, your mum got the rabbits - why doesn't she want to look after them to let you have some "you" time?

What sort of set up have the buns got at the moment? Are you able to feed them, provide vet care when needed etc?

Try not to be too hard on yourself - there are solutions to every problem xx

I feed and clean in morning, snuggle and play after work and whenever I get a spare minute and then check in afternoon water/hay/poops, I'm 21 and work full time and because of my routine i manage to see friends regularly and spent quality time with boyfriend most days, it is like having children lol can you not save penny's and try get a second hand run you can clean etc? My mum and dad see them at boot sales on the regular and I personally don't think everything has to be brand new aslong as you clean it thoroughly :)

I get a bit down sometimes and feel I can't offer them the best but they are happy and healthy (more or less!)

My mom feeds the outdoor pair for me a few nights a week, and at the moment we have 2 single indoor buns, one who can't be vaccinated yet because of her sneezing and her medication. And the other who is alone but in a better situation than he was.

I can't go on holiday unless I find a boarding place and even then Poppy has extra needs/medicine wise. I don't want to leave them with family because they can't be bothered to clean their litter trays every evening and give fresh hay so no point.

But they are my rabbits and I love them, they need me.

Our routine is daily: Poppy medicine. Change water bowls and feed. Work. Sort out Donny and Lola and get their food ready for evening. Sort Leo and Poppy out and then give Poppy's next lot of medicine in the evening. Every week I change the towels for Poppy and picking up stray poops is a given :lol:

Last edited:
I have had Rosie since I was 17 and I got Pebbles in March. I am currently on carer allowance as I am my mums carer. All I try to do is save up for them.

I have paid for their spay, neuter, new hutch, 1 set of vacs which my mum helped out a little with and I am able to provide hay and food and stuff

They currently live in a 6x2ft hutch but it doesn't have a run and instead they have free range all over the garden. But on the really bad weather like we have been having recently they are confined to their hutch so I want to buy a run, so that they have a bit more space.

They are due their vacs this year but I don't know if my vets have changed to the combined one and how much that would be...I am just trying to do one thing at a time but it all seems a lot to me in my head. I am also trying to find a friend for my guinea pig since he has been alone for nearly a year since his friend had to be PTS last year...

My mum and boyfriend say I spoil them and have become OCD...Maybe they are right and I need to relax a little

Your bunnies are a lot better off than most, even without the run. It's probably worth finding out from the vets how much the vaccinations will be, so you can at least try to put a little money away for them and you know the size of the problem. Some vets do schemes whereby you can pay a little monthly (although I'm not sure how good those schemes actually are).

I have had Rosie since I was 17 and I got Pebbles in March. I am currently on carer allowance as I am my mums carer. All I try to do is save up for them.

I have paid for their spay, neuter, new hutch, 1 set of vacs which my mum helped out a little with and I am able to provide hay and food and stuff

They currently live in a 6x2ft hutch but it doesn't have a run and instead they have free range all over the garden. But on the really bad weather like we have been having recently they are confined to their hutch so I want to buy a run, so that they have a bit more space.

They are due their vacs this year but I don't know if my vets have changed to the combined one and how much that would be...I am just trying to do one thing at a time but it all seems a lot to me in my head. I am also trying to find a friend for my guinea pig since he has been alone for nearly a year since his friend had to be PTS last year...

My mum and boyfriend say I spoil them and have become OCD...Maybe they are right and I need to relax a little

To be honest it sounds like you have a lot on your plate, no one could blame you for feeling down about it. As others have said above, the run doesn't have to be new, something second hand would do as long as you were able to clean it.

With the vaccs, I believe it should work out cheaper with the new vaccine (assuming your vets are using this) so that should work out to be a little easier in the long run.

I think it sounds like you are trying your best and you have the animals' best interests in mind. Try and stay positive. I am quite sure hardly anybody has the perfect set up straight away and at least you are going the right way about changing that. xx

I have like 13 buns currently here, & a horse, & I can honestly say they have never affected my social life, unless I'm bonding:lol:.

You can get a fairly basic run built cheaply - I had a 6x4 built for £25 & a third of the top is covered. It may save you some time if you don't have to sit with them free ranging.

Hi LittleEskimo, sending big hugs to you right now, I know what you are going through and how you are feeling.

I too am a carer for my mum as she is disabled, and even though my dad is here too he will not help out with the buns one little bit.

I am 21 and currently trying to fit uni (teacher training), my mum, seeing friends, and of course looking after my 2 rabbits Benji and Cupcake.

Ben isnt very well at the moment, his snuffles is very bad and he has severe dental problems. He has to be medicated twice daily and around the clock care.

Its so difficult to fit all the time in, and to be honest I dont see much of friends, but I suppose that is through my choice.

If you dont mind me asking, what condition does your mum have? Is there any way she could spend some time with them, and possibly feed them? I know my mum sits with the rabbits outside for a little time every day.

Keep strong huni xx

Hi LittleEskimo, sending big hugs to you right now, I know what you are going through and how you are feeling.

I too am a carer for my mum as she is disabled, and even though my dad is here too he will not help out with the buns one little bit.

I am 21 and currently trying to fit uni (teacher training), my mum, seeing friends, and of course looking after my 2 rabbits Benji and Cupcake.

Ben isnt very well at the moment, his snuffles is very bad and he has severe dental problems. He has to be medicated twice daily and around the clock care.

Its so difficult to fit all the time in, and to be honest I dont see much of friends, but I suppose that is through my choice.

If you dont mind me asking, what condition does your mum have? Is there any way she could spend some time with them, and possibly feed them? I know my mum sits with the rabbits outside for a little time every day.

Keep strong huni xx

Also, you dont need new runs, used is fine as long as theyre cleaned thoroughly :)

I know now that I think about it I have been able to do a lot with them with only a little help from mum. Although any emergency vets has to be paid for by my mum and I try to pay her back. I don't have any savings or whatever for them. I tend to just try and save up as best as I can. I was thinking of setting up a savings account that I just put a little in each week.

I don't trust any one else with them, last time I went on holiday and my brother looked after them I came back and Rosie had a huge scab on her back. I think it was because my brother just kept putting new bedding on the old stuff and when she tried to get through to the bedroom area she caught herself on the partition...

My routine is in the morning if the weather is good I let them out in the garden. When it starts to get dark I give them their dinner and they jump back in the hutch for the night. And repeat. Unless it is raining.
If I had a run they could have 24/7 access and I wouldn't feel the need to worry so much about them being let out or anything as they can do as they please.

Last edited:
You can only leave them to their own devices if the run is on concrete or is dig-proof though anyway.

I definitely think setting up an account for putting money away into is a good idea. You'll really feel like you're chipping away at the problem then.

Then focus on getting a run chick :D I know I feel better that Donny and Lola have each other as well as their run. The permanent run is on decking and the one they go in in the day is on grass :) Doesn't matter how long it takes, they have plenty of love and exercise :)

Keep strong huni xx

She has a lot of physical problems like arthritis, carpel tunnel, no cartilidge in some bits of her spine, something wrong with her womb, she gets abscesses quite often and stuff like that. Mentally she has Bi-polar and probably some other stuff I don't know about.

I am a general dogsbody. I do the shopping, make sure the dog is looked after and walked as often as I can, lift this that and the other, try to help keep the house clean, do the cooking...Plus help give her mental support and such

I worry about when I move out, I am 19 and I want to go back to college in Bristol as they have the courses I would like. I worry about how the dog will cope with no being walked and how mum will cope physically and mentally.

It sounds like you have a lot to worry about. :( But you can probably only cope with the here and now, and deal with the rest when you need to. Easier said than done, of course!

Sorry if this sound a little harsh but I'm one that believes an animal should only come into the house if everyone is having part in its life to help care for it. If this isn't the case and the animal is causing stress and not getting the best care it might be for the best to find them a more suitable home.
It's up to you to decide what you think is best for the bunnies.

But always check ebay, preloved, freecycle, gumtree for runs and things, you'd be surprised what you can get for cheap/free that just needs a little touching up. Carboot sales are good too.

You can only leave them to their own devices if the run is on concrete or is dig-proof though anyway.

I definitely think setting up an account for putting money away into is a good idea. You'll really feel like you're chipping away at the problem then.

I got some paving stones off freecycle:D I was lucky that my garden was flat so no real work involved:oops::D

You could also go into these sites and put wanted adds up, even asking if anyone has one for free, if you don't ask you'll never know

Back