• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treating 2 Rabbits for fleas......

ccolver

New Kit
I have 2 bunnies, Spotty and Stripey, which i think have caught fleas off a dog. Im thinking of treating them with Beaphar Anti Parasite spot on, but im concerned that as they groom each other, they will lick it, and this will do them harm....

Any advice on how to treat 2 bunnies for fleas would be great!

Thanks

oh, well, I think there are some of those anti-fleas things you put behind the ears of cats that are also ok for buns, but for the grooming...I will go to take medication for my bun on Monday, if it can wait till then I can ask...but I suppose it can't :oops:

I have 2 bunnies, Spotty and Stripey, which i think have caught fleas off a dog. Im thinking of treating them with Beaphar Anti Parasite spot on, but im concerned that as they groom each other, they will lick it, and this will do them harm....

Any advice on how to treat 2 bunnies for fleas would be great!

Thanks

I would be dubious about using any over-the-counter medication for rabbits and would advise asking a vet.

I too would take them to the vet who will give the correct meds and advise you how to use properly.

I would only ever use something recommended by the vet whether it be presciption or over the counter.

The info I've just found by googling that product suggests that it is effective for ticks, lice and worms, not for fleas. I would ring your vet in the morning and get some advice, you may not need to take them in, but they will be able to tell your what product is safe towns effective to use.

Whatever you do, please don't use cat drops like frontline/other similar products containing fipronil - it I toxic to bunnies and can kill them!

Been to the vet

Took Spotty and Stripey to the vet, as suggested.,...Thank YOu...

They do have fleas, she has given them Advantage... and Indorex to treat our house...as Spotty and Stripey are house rabbits.

Told me to spot it on before they feed, so they wont do any grooming for a little while, so wont lick it before its dried..

So fingers crossed...it will be no more fleas after this..

I was going to say I use advantage on my bunnies...its a spot on treatment similar to frontline for cats. Never use frontline though it can cause death in rabbits.

No need to take them to the vets really for this though unless they have really bad skin reaction from the bites. Also getting a flea comb is a good idea if your bunnies will let you comb them.

I buy advantage online its much cheaper than getting it from the vets.

I would take them to the vet - I read that spot on can cause convulsions in small animals, including rabbits, I'd rather be safe than sorry x

I would take them to the vet - I read that spot on can cause convulsions in small animals, including rabbits, I'd rather be safe than sorry x

This is if you use frontline which is designed for cats which people have done even though it has warnings on it not to use on rabbits!. There is only one spot on treatment for rabbits that I know of and thats advantage. As long as you know their weight you should be fine in the future.

I was going to say I use advantage on my bunnies...its a spot on treatment similar to frontline for cats. Never use frontline though it can cause death in rabbits.

No need to take them to the vets really for this though
unless they have really bad skin reaction from the bites. Also getting a flea comb is a good idea if your bunnies will let you comb them.

I buy advantage online its much cheaper than getting it from the vets.

Sorry, I disagree

It is importnat that you do take the Rabbit(s) to a Vet before attempting to treat them yourself. It is a legal requirement anyway, before the Vet can sell you Advantage.

So good on you OP for making sure your Buns were examined by a Veterinary Surgeon in the first instance :D

This is if you use frontline which is designed for cats which people have done even though it has warnings on it not to use on rabbits!. There is only one spot on treatment for rabbits that I know of and thats advantage. As long as you know their weight you should be fine in the future.

I only read this yesterday, and although I've never used it for the rabbits, we had a hamster who was poorly and has lost his fur, the vet put frontline on him and he spent the night in my arms having seizures :( he died a week later after suddenly developing a tumour :( im absolutely devastated, I wish we'd nevertaken him to the vets now (this was about 4 years ago now, but i've only just found out).

I'd never put anything on my rabbits without both having the vet and then researching it myself now.

I only read this yesterday, and although I've never used it for the rabbits, we had a hamster who was poorly and has lost his fur, the vet put frontline on him and he spent the night in my arms having seizures :( he died a week later after suddenly developing a tumour :( im absolutely devastated, I wish we'd nevertaken him to the vets now (this was about 4 years ago now, but i've only just found out).

I'd never put anything on my rabbits without both having the vet and then researching it myself now.

Oh no thats awful...I would never put frontline on a hamster...that vet clearly didn't know what they were doing...so sorry bet you were gutted. I love little hammys as well they are so tiny and gorgeous :cry:

Back