• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hot Weather - not eating

amanda74

New Kit
Anyone elses rabbit not eating due to the weather. We think this is what's wrong with Peter. He has munched on a little bit of hay, a small bit of toast and a piece of lettuce, other than that it doesn't look like he's touched his breakfast pellets. Any suggestions?
Amanda

This is happening with Princess my bun, it's getting to a point now when I am hand feeding her because she isn't eating out of her bowl, and I believe this is because of the heat. She isn't drinking much either so when I get her out I get a little bowl of water and keep dipping my fingers in there and leaving her lick the water from my fingers (I wash my hands first just in case) xxx

Thanks.
He'll happily eat the titbits my dads been giving him and he had a rabbit muffin earlier on. I think he's been outside and nibbled on his grass but I've not seen him anywhere near his water bowl. I'll try that technique with him and see what he does.
Amanda

Last year when my bun had a really tough summer, when we lived on the last floor of a very badly constructed building (now we live in an old cool apartment and we have an air-conditioner as well) she was eating very little, but was drinking plenty of water.I didn't worry much because I also don't feel like eating a lot when it's hot, I knew she had as much food as she needed.But if your bun doesn't drink enough water, think about giving some..with a syringe or something..it may be because the bun feels tired because of the heat..

My guys are interested in nothing but forage during the day, so they get that, sprinkled with water. At night they are happy to eat hay/graze on the grass.
I am fortunate enough to be up early to milk the goats so am able to feed them at a time that would be grazing time for a wild rabbit, same goes for dusk feeding:thumb:

Bunny not eating

Mine are the same at the moment from the heat, they are still eating their fresh greens in the morning, i serve them still wet so that they benefit from the extra water, it has been terribly hot in the afternoon, my buck has been flopped next to his ice pod, my doe doesnt know what to make of the ice pod yet, they are also having greens in the evening served wet again and they are eating throughout the night, if you see signs of not eating anything at all then the bunnies should be seen by a vet, but bunnies mustn't be fed lettuce it has a chemical in it that over time upsets their stomaches and can make them very ill, if you go onto the British Rabbit Council website it contains lists of safe and non safe foods for rabbits which is very helpful x:)

Anyone elses rabbit not eating due to the weather. We think this is what's wrong with Peter. He has munched on a little bit of hay, a small bit of toast and a piece of lettuce, other than that it doesn't look like he's touched his breakfast pellets. Any suggestions?
Amanda

Is your rabbit eating again now? I would have thought it highly unlikely that it was the heat causing him not to eat, Louie is eating the same amount as usual.

Is your rabbit eating again now? I would have thought it highly unlikely that it was the heat causing him not to eat, Louie is eating the same amount as usual.

I agree all mine are eating as much as usual...iv made sure hay is in the shade and I'm putting out wet fresh herbs ans other treats aswell :)

Hope your bun is ok x

Today he's nibbled on a few pellets, some hay, a couple of titbits, and a bit of romaine lettuce. Also saw him drinking some water, I've got two water bowls set up for him one has that suger water in it. I've got a frozen water bottle he can lie next to, but he didn't need it as he spilt his water dish over the floor so he's been lying in that, at least I've got a clean bun now. He's spent most of the day in the shade on the kitchen tiles.
I'm keeping an eye on him, he's doing sticky poos at the mo instead of normal ones but I think that's due to his food intake.
Amanda

I wouldn't give sugar water I don't think and if his poos aren't right I'd be inclined to get him checked out by the vet to make sure there isn't anything wrong. I wouldn't assume it was the heat in case it was just a coincidence and he has a problem with his tummy.

none of mine will eat anything other than foraged weeds etc (my usual selection) until about 11pm - when they suddenly switch on to pellets again - they just dont like pellets in the heat.

Just to re-iterate though - lettuce and bread are not good for rabbits.

Back