• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What do you do about fleas

emily..

Warren Scout
Do your give your rabbit any medication to stop them getting fleas?x

Last edited:
I have to treat one of my buns for some reason cat fleas love her. Its odd but I have never seen fleas on any of my other buns. When I treat my cats for fleas I treat bluebell as well and I use advantage on her. I would only think its necessary though if you have cats and dogs and the fleas go on your bunny.

Diatomaceous Earth.

Sprinkle a bit on them and it'll kill the fleas.

Also it can be sprinkled on their food to treat internal parasites.

Completely harmless to rabbits and all animals except bugs of course!

I have to treat one of my buns for some reason cat fleas love her. Its odd but I have never seen fleas on any of my other buns. When I treat my cats for fleas I treat bluebell as well and I use advantage on her. I would only think its necessary though if you have cats and dogs and the fleas go on your bunny.

Thanks for your reply so do you think it would be necessary for me to treat Princess (my bun) as I have 1 cat, even though my cat gets treated for fleas ? X

No point in treating for something that isn't there :wave: if you see fleas or the signs of fleas then treat them but I wouldn't bother at the moment :)

Thanks for your reply so do you think it would be necessary for me to treat Princess (my bun) as I have 1 cat, even though my cat gets treated for fleas ? X

does your cat go out and sometimes get fleas? If your cat does then I would get a flea comb amd comb your rabbit if your cat has fleas to see if the fleas are living on the rabbit as well. Cat fleas can live on rabbits although they do prefer cats. I buy advantage because you can put that on rabbits and cats unlike fronline which you can't use on rabbits. I suppose it depends on your rabbit and if the fleas go on her...i've noticed that fleas don't bother 3 of my rabbits but one of them gets really bad fleas off the cats...her skin goes all flaky so I have to treat her with advantage at the same time as the cats (i do have 3 cats though!).

Diatomaceous Earth.

Sprinkle a bit on them and it'll kill the fleas.

Also it can be sprinkled on their food to treat internal parasites.

Completely harmless to rabbits and all animals except bugs of course!

This. :thumb:

I really don't agree with using chemicals unnecessarily, especially on rabbits because rabbits generally don't get fleas. We've had rabbits my whole life and I don't think they've ever had fleas, even when we had outdoor rabbits.

A little Revolution* will keep them away. It is very safe and easy to use. Great for eliminating mites, hookworms, heartworms, roundworms, and of course fleas!!! I used it when my bunnies had mites.

Back