• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny is hot and bothered :(

emily..

Warren Scout
Hi, today is a really hot day in Wales, my rabbit has 3 hutches (one in each garden and one in the porch/shed) the one in the porch is her main one that she is mostly in, the sun isn't shining in to the porch but its very hot in there and I think my rabbit is hot and bothered in there, I have the door open so she has the breeze from outside and all she has been doing is lying there, and I take her out the garden and she hates it because its still very hot out there and the sun is gleaming right in. So even in the garden she just lies down in the shade, what should I do to cool her down and make her happier, please help??xx

Last edited:
If you mean generally keeping your rabbit cool, wet her ears slightly with water, fill a plastic bottle of water two thirds full (ish) and pop it in the freezer for tomorrow if its hot tomorrow then bun will lay against it to keep her cool, if you havent done this already and you really need to keep her cool, mine have a deep food bowl with big sides on it and I empty the food out of it, pop that in the fridge for half an hour then take it out and they lay against it. Wetting a towel, wringing it so its not dripping and laying it over half of my rabbits hutch works for me especially if the breeze is on it but i dont know what your setup is like! And I freshen up my 3's water every hour with fridge water that's warmed in the sun for a few minutes so its not ice cold.:wave:

If you mean generally keeping your rabbit cool, wet her ears slightly with water, fill a plastic bottle of water two thirds full (ish) and pop it in the freezer for tomorrow if its hot tomorrow then bun will lay against it to keep her cool, if you havent done this already and you really need to keep her cool, mine have a deep food bowl with big sides on it and I empty the food out of it, pop that in the fridge for half an hour then take it out and they lay against it. Wetting a towel, wringing it so its not dripping and laying it over half of my rabbits hutch works for me especially if the breeze is on it but i dont know what your setup is like! And I freshen up my 3's water every hour with fridge water that's warmed in the sun for a few minutes so its not ice cold.:wave:

Thanks a lot!! I shall try wetting her ears now, and i'll go and pop a bottle of water in the freezer lol :)

Concrete remains cool if you keep it shaded. My buns have concrete runs, and I just ensure that I put up shades so that the sun stays off the concrete - it keeps them nice and cool as they lie flat out on it.

Concrete remains cool if you keep it shaded. My buns have concrete runs, and I just ensure that I put up shades so that the sun stays off the concrete - it keeps them nice and cool as they lie flat out on it.

Thanks you, most of my back garden appears to be concrete so I shall start covering it from the sun :)

Back