• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can hear a jingle ball- worried about rabbit in heat

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
You now those large plastic, colourful balls you can get for rabbits? The ones that have the little bell inside, they are everywhere. Anyway I keep hearing one being thrown about and my rabbits don't have one. There is a small looking hutch on the other side of the gardens but I can only see the very top because of the high fences. This hutch is pretty small and I assumed it would be for guineas, and I think it is on top of a run because it stands up quite high and I never see anything running around the hutch so I guess it is always in the run (whatever lives in there)

The only problem I have is that they leave the plastic waterproof cover over the hutch all the time, even in this 25degrees it's covering the hutch part and the water bottle. And as far as I can tell they have no shade in the garden, it is just a plain fenced garden.

Now I have been hearing this jingle ball and all I can think is 'rabbit' because I can hear it bouncing along the floor like how a rabbit would through it around. And I worry about the heat...Should I put something through the letterbox maybe??

Whoa, definately jumping to conclusions here.

Yes, it maybe a rabbit. The rabbit could also have a run attached to the hutch that is as big as the garden so has no need to use the hutch at all this weather.

When you don't know the full story I think it would be madness to put something through their letterbox.

You now those large plastic, colourful balls you can get for rabbits? The ones that have the little bell inside, they are everywhere. Anyway I keep hearing one being thrown about and my rabbits don't have one. There is a small looking hutch on the other side of the gardens but I can only see the very top because of the high fences. This hutch is pretty small and I assumed it would be for guineas, and I think it is on top of a run because it stands up quite high and I never see anything running around the hutch so I guess it is always in the run (whatever lives in there)

The only problem I have is that they leave the plastic waterproof cover over the hutch all the time, even in this 25degrees it's covering the hutch part and the water bottle. And as far as I can tell they have no shade in the garden, it is just a plain fenced garden.

Now I have been hearing this jingle ball and all I can think is 'rabbit' because I can hear it bouncing along the floor like how a rabbit would through it around. And I worry about the heat...Should I put something through the letterbox maybe??

Prehaps pop a good leaflet from a rescue or something through the door so that it's not obvious it's coming from you and they'll think it's just a charity or something putting leaflets through people's doors and they may have a peak in it and hopefully take some of the advice on board. You could always type some more information on keeping buns cool on Word or something and put it inside the leaflet. Just some random ideas really. Good luck. Xx

Last edited:
It's a very small garden, most of it is taken up by their conservatory. And the hutch is only about 3 foot. I might be assuming but hey, in this weather I worry.

I would take a picture to try and explain but I don't want the neighbours to think I am a weird perv or something

Whoa, definately jumping to conclusions here.

Yes, it maybe a rabbit. The rabbit could also have a run attached to the hutch that is as big as the garden so has no need to use the hutch at all this weather.

When you don't know the full story I think it would be madness to put something through their letterbox.

Yes. But if it's something innocent like an RSPCA leaflet it can surely only do more good than harm? Better to be safe then sorry concerning the bunny's health.

I'd pop a leaflet through, it can't do any harm can it, nice to know I'm not the only one that eyes stray into neighbours gardens too :lol:

If someone just *assumed* something about me and my pet keeping, I would not be best pleased at a leaflet arriving through my letterbox.

But what if there's an animal in that hutch with a cover over it in this heat its okay to just ignore it :/

I have stood on top of my window sill to try and get a better look (Crazy I know) but from what I can see it is a double hutch and not a hutch on top of a run...

If someone just *assumed* something about me and my pet keeping, I would not be best pleased at a leaflet arriving through my letterbox.

Yep totally agree.
If you can't be sure that an animal is actually in need of help then it really isn't any of your business.

They must care a little about the animal or it wouldnt have a jingle ball, theres nothing saying its not a ferret or guinea pig.
My Guineas love rolling and throwing there toys around and theres no difference in sound when its thrown....:?

I thought when it came to animal welfare it would be better to be safe than sorry but looks like everyone should just egnore it then :thumb:

I thought when it came to animal welfare it would be better to be safe than sorry but looks like everyone should just egnore it then :thumb:

No one is saying that at all.

If there is proof then yes, if there is proof, then no.

If it is a guinea pig then they need at least 4-5 ft hutches for two or more.

And I always thought ferrets needs lots of room too.

I am very good at sounds and the sound I can hear is exactly like how Rosie would through her ball all over the place and it has a certain sound compared to what my guinea pig does to his jingle ball

Back