• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to cool my shed

lucy24

Mama Doe
the rabs are way too hot in their! its like an oven.how can i cool it down? their in their run at the moment but when i go away next week ive told the house sitter to leave them in their 6x8 shed as shes not used to rabbits-picking them up etc...but if its nice weather i really dont know what to do! ive got ice boottles and the windows are meshed.

Can you make an interior door or use a baby gate so that you can leave the shed door open?

A fan would be a good idea.

well even with the door open its like an oven!:roll: what sort of fan would be best?or doesnt it matter?

Is the shed in a shaded area? We have a 6ft x 4ft shed and we have it in a shaded area - altho the sun is on it in the morning, but in about half an hour it'll be in complete shade until early evening. We have an internal mesh door so there's loads of air....
We put iced water in (a bottle and a bowl) and they have frozen bottles of water and ice pods..... you can get cage fans (meant for dog cages) that are battery operated, I attempted to get some yesterday but everywhere was sold out... ive heard of ppl using sun deflectors on the sides / top of the sheds... but im scared to as we have so much foliage in our garden that i'd worry incase it set a fire (i know it probably wouldn't).
We also have huuuuuge bamboo bushes at the back of the shed to so its a bit more shaded - and they seem to naturally move into the back of the shed where its shaded.
It's still such a worry tho, they're so fluffy they must be hot! :(
Ive just ordered these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCF-1-Animal-cage-fan/dp/B00008435E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343209446&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Crate-F...NDHG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1343209446&sr=8-4

Last edited:
sadly my shed is in a sun trap :( (should have thought it through better but was the only place with level ground):roll:

Keeping the door open will help air circulate though. Having it closed means that the heat is trapped, like an oven, and just gets hotter and hotter, but having it open will allow cooler air from outside in.

Any fan would be good, one which goes from side to side instead of always focussed on one area would probably help more.

Silver foil insulation on the roof will reflect the sun and help to keep it cool- I use this: http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insula...nsulation/Thermawrap-Loft-Insulation-11597554.
600.jpg

A couple of layers works even better- to test whether you have enough put your hand on the inside of the roof of the shed it should feel cool. Painting the walls white or light-coloured will help too. In fact any insulation will help to keep it cool in summer and warm in winter as long as there is enough ventilation to stop warm air being trapped inside.

Also if the sun is pouring in through the doors and windows it helps to hang a damp sheet in front of them leaving a space between the sheet and the window for ventilation.

I use fans to to keep the air moving xx

Wet, light coloured towels or sheets over the roof would help too if you can't get the reflective stuff lilbun suggested - and ask the house sitter to keep them really soggy - so the heat absorbed by the towel/sheet would be used making the water evaporate rather than warming up the shed. Unfortunately dark coloured things (like roofing felt :roll:) will always absorb more heat from the sun than white/light coloured things.

I would also keep them out of their as much as you possibly can. in a shaded run or in the garden when poss. sheds are death traps in this weather despite our best endeavours

thanks for the suggestions-will get some wet towls and give that ago. i put the sprinkler on yesturday and one of my trio ran through it:lol:

Another thought - how cooperative are your buns at going into a carrier? If they're okay, your housesitter might be able to "herd" them into a carrier to get them to the run and back, without really having to handle them?

thats true-shes coming over for de-briefing (lol) before i go away so will talk it through with her to see.thanks( although they are stuborn little rascals when they want to be!!!)

Back