• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Confused about worming

freddie&daphne

Warren Scout
Ok, got home from work today to find worms in the litter box. I did have Daphne at the vet yesterday as she got me in a total panic when I went out to give them breakfast. She just sprawled out in the run ignoring me instead of her usual stampede and wrestling of food from Freddies mouth. Anyways the vet couldn't find anything obviously wrong with her but gave her a jab to boost her appetite and a sachet of food in case she needed to be syringe fed. Turns out she was fine and started eating as soon as we got home, I clearly just looked like I needed relieving of £30 in Daphne's bunny opinion!
So back to today, worms in the litter box so back to the vet's who gave me 2 pre measured syringes each for me to give them a dose now and another dose in 2 weeks. Lots of chasing / scrabbling/ fur flying and bleeding (me) later and they have had the 1st dose. I've been looking at previous threads on here and there's a lot of talk of 9 day and 28 day courses so that's why I'm confused. Anyone know what the difference is? It's pancur or whatever it's called that we were given.

Side note: I'd love to know any tips on how to get my buns more accepting of being held, I'm absolutely covered in really deep scratches from them! They are happy to come over for treats and be stroked a little but it would be helpful for times like this if they would at least tolerate being picked up!

I should think that the two doses for worming will be fine :thumb:

The nine day and twenty eight day courses you are reading about are generally for the parasite EC, which is also done via the Panacur wormer that you've been given so don't worry too much :)

Bunny Handling

Have your bunnies been 'fixed'? Bunnies that have been fixed tend to be easier to handle as it calms them down, alternatively bunnies need to be handled daily, i tend to pick mine up by putting one hand under the tummy/front legs, lift his/her bottom, and slightly curl the bottom in, they tend to feel calm and safe while being picked up like this & only struggle just as i'm putting them in the hutch my female is more scatty at the moment as she is waiting to be 'fixed', my male has been done and is a lot calmer and easier to handle, also i tend to sit them on my lap on a thick towel when i groom them and they tend to stay very still and love the attention, the towel gives them something to grip without scratching my legs lol

Ok, got home from work today to find worms in the litter box. I did have Daphne at the vet yesterday as she got me in a total panic when I went out to give them breakfast. She just sprawled out in the run ignoring me instead of her usual stampede and wrestling of food from Freddies mouth. Anyways the vet couldn't find anything obviously wrong with her but gave her a jab to boost her appetite and a sachet of food in case she needed to be syringe fed. Turns out she was fine and started eating as soon as we got home, I clearly just looked like I needed relieving of £30 in Daphne's bunny opinion!
So back to today, worms in the litter box so back to the vet's who gave me 2 pre measured syringes each for me to give them a dose now and another dose in 2 weeks. Lots of chasing / scrabbling/ fur flying and bleeding (me) later and they have had the 1st dose. I've been looking at previous threads on here and there's a lot of talk of 9 day and 28 day courses so that's why I'm confused. Anyone know what the difference is? It's pancur or whatever it's called that we were given.

Side note: I'd love to know any tips on how to get my buns more accepting of being held, I'm absolutely covered in really deep scratches from them! They are happy to come over for treats and be stroked a little but it would be helpful for times like this if they would at least tolerate being picked up!

Thanks folks, that's put my mid at rest.

They are fixed yes, they are only 7 months old though so still a bit stroppy. They are otherwise very tame, eat out of our hands etc. Guess I'll just have to keep trying. My rabbit I had before was happy to be carried around, we didn't even need a carrier to take him to them vets so it's all a bit new to me!

My doe is aprox 5 months old and is very scatty,i call her my stroppy teenager, she needs a little more work than my buck, but she is getting better at handling, i think it's just very much persevere, some bunnies just might not like being handled, i'm hoping my doe will improve when she is fixed, time will tell lol , good luck with your bunnies and hope it gets better :)

Thanks folks, that's put my mid at rest.

They are fixed yes, they are only 7 months old though so still a bit stroppy. They are otherwise very tame, eat out of our hands etc. Guess I'll just have to keep trying. My rabbit I had before was happy to be carried around, we didn't even need a carrier to take him to them vets so it's all a bit new to me!

Back