• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Bunnys firing in this heat

shadow05

Mama Doe
My poor bunny boys dyeing in this heat im starting to get concerned.

what is tmmorow is just like today. can somebody help me find a way to cool him down until i can get my hands on one of those ice pods. wish i didnt live in this flat cud have just chucked him outside in shade all day at my moms. ive tried cracking all windows open and was going to put the fan on but got told of by bf :roll: him and his electric bill.

ive given him some water thats been in fridge all day now hes just sat huddled around his bowl breathing very fast ive got pen door open he cud move to some where cooler but i dont think he can be asked lol poor rabbit.

:wave: have you any empty pop bottles, coke etc or just plain water bottles, i fill them up with water and freeze them, my girls are suffering at the moment (very fluffy lionheads) they love laying by the frozen bottles, this weather goes from one extreme to another :D

My poor bunny boys dyeing in this heat im starting to get concerned.

what is tmmorow is just like today. can somebody help me find a way to cool him down until i can get my hands on one of those ice pods. wish i didnt live in this flat cud have just chucked him outside in shade all day at my moms. ive tried cracking all windows open and was going to put the fan on but got told of by bf :roll: him and his electric bill.

ive given him some water thats been in fridge all day now hes just sat huddled around his bowl breathing very fast ive got pen door open he cud move to some where cooler but i dont think he can be asked lol poor rabbit.

Sod the bf just put the fan on, even for a short while just to disturb the air.

i though so with bottles wasnt quite sure cause he has a tendancy to be very chewy with things. does size of the bottle matter? and also will he be alright if he eats it. nobody will be able to watch him tmmorow.

ive still got yet to spray him with fly strike replent thing. hes just been dunking his ear in his water bowl.

i though so with bottles wasnt quite sure cause he has a tendancy to be very chewy with things. does size of the bottle matter? and also will he be alright if he eats it. nobody will be able to watch him tmmorow.

ive still got yet to spray him with fly strike replent thing. hes just been dunking his ear in his water bowl.

Does he have toileting issues? If not - I wouldnt bother with the fly stuff!

Sod the bf just put the fan on, even for a short while just to disturb the air.

hes gone out at moment :lol: he he i think ill wet his ears a bit then try the fan for a bit. then turn it off u know in short bursts thanks everybody :)

i was thinking of getting one of those cage fans that u can get u normally have them for dogs u know to put on there crates.

ive just wet his ears hes not to happy about that lol but ive put fan on as well he seems livelier thanks everybody just have to find a way to do it tmmorow while im out for work. will have to tell bf to leave the windows open at least.

I personally would still treat him for flies even though he's in doors.

Windows open and curtains closed is another shade.

I personally would still treat him for flies even though he's in doors.

Windows open and curtains closed is another shade.

i think i will it adds some protection i suppose and maybe the flies will leave him alone. we cant use any fly spray cause of him and other animals. so we have to use other means. like fly swatters and electric ones.

got curtains open but there's no sun coming through. its good cause the side of the flat hes in is the coolest part apart from the hall and bathroom. cant really put him in the bathroom yet cause the floors a mess and plus hed rip my lino up lol

Anything to keep his fluid levels up and keep him cool, if you can wet a towel for example and place it near his home and have a fan blowing at the towel it will help.

Cucumber is fine for bunnies if they like it, it has a very high water content, so is actually good to keep hydrated. I have one bunny who will demolish it and another who won't touch it and actually runs away from it.

I don't have icepods, i think they are a waste of money. I use what i have, a 1L or 2L bottle, fill it with water, leave it to freeze overnight when its cooler in the freezer, then give it to him at around 10am when it's getting hot, or just before you go to work if you won't be there. Mine will actively seek it out and lay next to it with an ear flopped over it - rabbits use their ears to help regulate their body temperature.

Put ice cubes into his water bowl to keep it cooler and also slightly replenished but also leave another bowl of non-iced water as lots of rabbits don't like ice cold water and prefer it tepid.

You're boyfriend needs to understand Scooters needs, he needs to stay cool, he can't choose to get out of the sun and into the shade, he's stuck in a humid and hot flat.

I'm also of the opinion that flystrike treatments are not needed, i won't un-necessarily put chemicals onto my pets and cause stress by doing so, but again, thats just my opinion.

Anything to keep his fluid levels up and keep him cool, if you can wet a towel for example and place it near his home and have a fan blowing at the towel it will help.

Cucumber is fine for bunnies if they like it, it has a very high water content, so is actually good to keep hydrated. I have one bunny who will demolish it and another who won't touch it and actually runs away from it.

I don't have icepods, i think they are a waste of money. I use what i have, a 1L or 2L bottle, fill it with water, leave it to freeze overnight when its cooler in the freezer, then give it to him at around 10am when it's getting hot, or just before you go to work if you won't be there. Mine will actively seek it out and lay next to it with an ear flopped over it - rabbits use their ears to help regulate their body temperature.

Put ice cubes into his water bowl to keep it cooler and also slightly replenished but also leave another bowl of non-iced water as lots of rabbits don't like ice cold water and prefer it tepid.

You're boyfriend needs to understand Scooters needs, he needs to stay cool, he can't choose to get out of the sun and into the shade, he's stuck in a humid and hot flat.

I'm also of the opinion that flystrike treatments are not needed, i won't un-necessarily put chemicals onto my pets and cause stress by doing so, but again, thats just my opinion.

I completely agree with this. Don't have much more to add except that a fan should only very slightly make the electric bill go up. It shouldn't even be noticeable.

I completely agree with this. Don't have much more to add except that a fan should only very slightly make the electric bill go up. It shouldn't even be noticeable.

:)

Also shadow, just from reading your other thread about getting a bearded dragon - if your boyfriend is worried about the very little amount of electricity a fan will utilise, he's in for a serious shock when he sees the electricity a lamp from a lizards enclosure will use... ;)

Lots of good suggestions. May I also add some sort of ceramic tiles? You can get them pretty cheap from DIY places (tell them you want a sample ;)) and bunny will love to flop out on them to keep cool.

Definately make sure he is going to have a bottle of ice today and if its hot keep that fan on! I'd also give him a bowl as well as or instead of a bottle, as bottles are hard to get any real amount of water out of. Make sure all water is fresh to encourage him to drink more. I'm also going to give all the buns here some wet veg when its at its hottest today, to help them stay hydrated.

Your boyfriend needs to get over his dislike of Scooter, he may not like him much, but Scooter is important to you, and what is important to you and makes you happy should be important to your boyfriend. How is it going living with him? Are his bun(s) living with you too?

Back