• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Freddie please-dental abscess ;-(

vickiemily

Young Bun
hi, are there any spare vibes for my lovely boy Freddie please?last week i notice he had a slightly reddened area of skin under his chin, so booked him in to be seen, had to bring his appointment forward as his chin swelled up overnight, he was diagnosed with a dental tooth root problem and abscess :cry::cry: i am GUTTED and so upset, he was prescribed a week of ABS, (baytril) plus meloxidyl(sp??) twice a day to try and reduce the infection before doing anything invasive, he is booked in for an x ray on Thurday, plus further treatment, will know more on the day what else they can do, but they said it desn't look too positive,:cry::cry:

does anyone have any first hand experience of this problem please, as it is my first time dealing with it(have sadly lost guinea pigs with dental problems before though), have thankfully never encountered it before with the rabbits , have done some research online but any advice or help would be gratefully received and much appreciated by anyone who knows more, thank you, am dreading Thursday, but at the moment just trying to really enjoy Freddie, thankfully, he seems very happy in himself, he is eating ok, drinking, running around the garden as normal, and doesn't seem to be fazed or in pain, his cheek is fairly swolen but the redness on his skin has faded to pink now, he is taking his meds wonderfully well in a syringe, and is being very brave, and stoical, he is SUCH a a sweetheart and has the loveliest nature and is one of the cutest and friendliest bunnies ever, i am really upset and wil be distraught if we lose him...:cry::cry: i am really worried about the GA too in the meantime, we are letting him have a good week, enjoy the lovely weather and lots and lots of extra treats, cuddles, brushing him and fussing him, :love::love:

Mega vibes for Freddy. Sorry I have no experience with root and abscess problems. I have had 2 bunnies and one chinchilla have a straight forward dental under GA and all were fine.

Try to be positive. Pea had a massive tooth root abscess which I didn't even notice until I thought a clump of fur had been pulled out on her chin. When I picked her up to inspect it, I realised it was a massive lump :shock::(. She hadn't stopped eating or behaving normally at all.

Took her straight to the vet and it was too far gone to even start with antibiotics. She was operated on - the abscess had almost calcified and had to be chipped away. A bit like chipping away at bone. The vet did the best he could. She had an intensive course of antibiotics afterwards and has never been better :D. So a tooth root abscess isn't necessarily untreatable - don't despair. Sending lots of healing vibes for your Freddie.

Try to be positive. Pea had a massive tooth root abscess which I didn't even notice until I thought a clump of fur had been pulled out on her chin. When I picked her up to inspect it, I realised it was a massive lump :shock::(. She hadn't stopped eating or behaving normally at all.

Took her straight to the vet and it was too far gone to even start with antibiotics. She was operated on - the abscess had almost calcified and had to be chipped away. A bit like chipping away at bone. The vet did the best he could. She had an intensive course of antibiotics afterwards and has never been better :D. So a tooth root abscess isn't necessarily untreatable - don't despair. Sending lots of healing vibes for your Freddie.

thanks VERY much everyone, Freddie thanks you all:love:

thanks ever so much Mackers, really ,really appreciated hearing your positive experience after dental problems and have given me a more cautiously hopeful state of mind, the Vet did say it was about managing it, and long term, but i am equally as worried about him just getting through the GA... although i trust the vets very much ,they are very kind and extremely rabbit savvy and were excellent spaying my 3 does,
that is brilliant to hear Pea has done so well since her treatment:love:, it sounds like she is very strong to recover so well after that op so well done to you and your vet, i am glad to hear there are things that can work and be successful, thanks agin for sharing your experience, it is always good to hear from those who have been through it too , aswell as just looking online , thanks for the posotove vibes, will update and let you know how he gets on, thankfully he seems fine in himself, has been enjoying loads of extra treats and fuss and has had a good week, i am so glad he doesn't seem in pain or bothered,

Tinkerbell had an enormous lower jaw abscess, it literally came up over a couple of days.

She had it removed and packed with antibiotics and it cleared up really well.

She died a year later of something unrelated.

same as with Freddie , it swelled up overnight too :shock::( the Vet thinks we have caught it fairly early, that is encouraging that Tinkerbell also made such a good recovery too and it was treatable, i will do whatever i can to help Freddie too:love:

same as with Freddie , it swelled up overnight too :shock::( the Vet thinks we have caught it fairly early, that is encouraging that Tinkerbell also made such a good recovery too and it was treatable, i will do whatever i can to help Freddie too:love:

Good Luck and hoping that Freddie makes a full recovery xxx

Back