• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pasturella and how its treated?

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
Since Ulfric Died and it was revealed he had progressed fluid on his lungs from untreated Pasturella.
I have feared it like it was the plague.
Ive decided for my own peice of mind i need to understand it more in order to know, What to look for;And how its treated so i dont find it such a god fearing illness?

I dont know if this will make sense to others but i really feel i should understand it in order to help myself understand Ulfs death

With Buckley it's obvious when he has a flare up as his nose is slightly damp or the fur around it is not pure white. Other signs are obviously sneezing, matted fur on the palms of their front paws (from wiping the mucus from the nose), and wheezing. Buckley's eyes usually look a bit dull and he looks tired when he's snuffly. Obviously some of these qualitative symptoms will vary from rabbit to rabbit.
Regular vet check ups where they can listen to chest sounds are also an important part of monitoring.

If snuffles is diagnosed then a culture and sensitivity is advised so that you can find out what the bacteria are and what they're sensitive to. Then it's usually a minimum of 3 weeks of the right antibiotic possibly with a mucolitic. After three weeks the vet usually wants to see the rabbit again to check progress.

The other important thing is for you to try and relax. As you know rabbits pick up on our stresses and it can contribute to things like snuffles. I understand fully why you're so frightened of it but it is really important that you try and relax as much as you can, hopefully people with more specific knowledge will come along to help put your mind at ease. **hugs**

Since Ulfric Died and it was revealed he had progressed fluid on his lungs from untreated Pasturella.
I have feared it like it was the plague.
Ive decided for my own peice of mind i need to understand it more in order to know, What to look for;And how its treated so i dont find it such a god fearing illness?

I dont know if this will make sense to others but i really feel i should understand it in order to help myself understand Ulfs death

Search through the forum if you can for my Ginger threads. :wave:

I'm too going through treatment with one of my buns with pasturella and am worried about it. I have started to relax a bit now and have kept my pair together even though one of them has still got it as I was advised to do on here so not to stress them anymore. I check my rabbits noses each morning and evening now and will do that from now on. I do make sure i keep their stress to a minimum as well.

Back