• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's 25.6˚C in the bunny room already...

Kavanne

Mama Doe
I have the windows open, the curtains closed (to keep the hot rays out), they have 2 ice pods and an iced water bottle. They are sitting on the ice pods at the moment but is there anything else I can do?

They have a fan and I have put a bowl of water down near them to make sure they have easy access.

I really worry about them in this heat and I don't want to end up having to take a bunny with heat stroke to the vet...

:(

Sounds like you have done a lot already and really are doing well, the only thing that I am thinking is that the curtains might not be helping being closed but then you will know whether this is right or not.

Any chance of picking up a small second hand portable air conditioner?

I also kept the curtians closed in the bunny room, it seems to make a big difference, but it still got too hot. Storm still plays frizbee with his ice pod, big daft boy, I ended up putting their air con, now they are lovely and chilled and I'm boiling! before air con I went with frozen bottles and a fan.

524510_10151962630690613_2080102748_n.jpg

Our outdoor buns were sooo hot today...as you can see the garden reached 39c in the sun...I covered their runs with wet towels and sheets and put ceramic bathroom tiles on the run floor for them to lay on and they have litterally spent all day sleeping flopped on their sides...

Sounds like you are doing everything you can. Awfully hot today, Button's gone back into stasis, not sure if its the weather or it would have happened anyway. So difficult trying to keep them cool.

Hot bunny

closing the curtains is great, but would recommend closing the windows as it still lets the hot air in, if you do this use pedastal fans to cool the room down, it is much easier to get the fans to drop the room temp by several degrees if the curtains and windows are closed, otherwise with the windows open you are fighting against the hot air still coming in, otherwise it sounds like everything else you are doing is absolutely fine.

This next one is something that i'm going to try out, if you have a spare water bottle, fill it just under half full with water and freeze overnight, when the temp rises in the afternoon take the bottle out the freezer and top up the rest of the bottle with water from the tap, this way the ice already in the bottle will keep the water cooler for longer, i only thought of this today as my bunnies were flopped out on their ice pods from the heat and the water in their bottles was warming up quickly, i refilled their bottles several times throughout the day with fresh cold water, but i'm going to try this idea to see if it helps them at all, at the moment any cooling idea is a good one to try lol :)

I have the windows open, the curtains closed (to keep the hot rays out), they have 2 ice pods and an iced water bottle. They are sitting on the ice pods at the moment but is there anything else I can do?

They have a fan and I have put a bowl of water down near them to make sure they have easy access.

I really worry about them in this heat and I don't want to end up having to take a bunny with heat stroke to the vet...

:(

I have this problem. I don't have any fans or anything in my room as my buns free range 24/7. I'm thinking about getting a powered one and putting it somewhere they can't reach. I've turned my light off (so all the insects in creation aren't attracted) and opened my window wide open. My room is still very warm but at least they are getting some fresh air. I have tried putting in half full bottles of freezing water but they refuse to go near them, they will only lay on the laminate and it worries me so much that Xena will over heat. Her fur is very thick and quite long and she certainly suffers more than Fiver in this heat. :(
I am making some ice cubes tonight to put in their water bowl tomorrow so it keeps the water at least chilled.

Hope your buns are ok. x

Back