• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If your partner didn't want another bunny

There are so many scenarios where this could occur.

However, if i had a rabbit, solo, who was really desperate for company, i would explain everything etc, like i did in the past, so partner was fully aware of the situation and what was best etc. Literature helps, the rwaf website has lots of posters and booklets for that :)

It would depend on the reason and how strongly my partner felt, but yes I would probably go ahead and get one. My OH didn't want a third rabbit but he adores Eli now.

However, if i had a rabbit, solo, who was really desperate for company, i would explain everything etc, like i did in the past, so partner was fully aware of the situation and what was best etc. Literature helps, the rwaf website has lots of posters and booklets for that :)

Agree with what Graham said. When we first moved in together I probably would have done but now I dont feel thats the right thing to do in a relationship

I've tried that and the main problem is because it worked before and we got Waffle to go with Radish and they fell out and rebounding failed so he is jaded to the whole process thinks the same will happen again and that we will have a 3rd single bun.

Waffle has become more territorial and aggressive and I'm convinced it's because she needs company. I try my best but because she's in the spare room I don't get the chance to spend as much time with her as I'd like.

Guess it depends on your situation but we had Tokyo first (had gone out with the intention of bringing home two but then met Tokyo... :roll: )
OH was completely anti having a second bunny once Tokyo was settled but as said above, explained the benefits etc of two.
I had a call from RSPCA who said they had Poppy in...I went to visit with OH and both fell in love..
RSPCA agreed that they would support with bonding if we needed it (thankfully we didn't) but we also had an agreement that if bonding was unsuccessful, we could take Poppy back. This was obviously not a plan we wanted in the long run but OH was worried about keeping them seperate and the impact that it would have on the space they'd have to run around etc.
So so glad we did it, bonding suprisingly quick and they are now inseperable. Tokyo is a completely different bunny, so much happier - makes me feel a bit guilty that we didn't do it sooner :oops:

Get one anyway! My other half is SOFT he would fall in love with them in a few days!
He didn't want a 2nd bun, took him to the RSPCA to see Alice and he probably could have come home with all the buns there if I'd have let him!! :lol:

On a serious note, agree with above comments - explain why it's so important, if he still didn't understand I would have serious doubts about our relationship as he know how important my buns are to me!

Could someone give me the key signs of a lonely bunny so I can show him that she really is lonely.

Thing is, each bunny can respond differently, but i'd say classic signs were;

Sitting in the same place, looking absent.
Becoming destructive.
Withdrawn from environment.
Slow down of eating.
Seperation Anxiety from humans.
In worst cases, GI slowdown/stasis (Biscuit did this before we had Ginger).

I certainly would not just get another bun and not tell my OH. It would affect our finances amongst other things.

I definitely would not go against my partners wishes no matter how much I felt I was right. It shows lack of respect for them.

I understand your frustration but I also agree with him, what if it didn't work? Then you'd have three single rabbits. Maybe suggest a rescue pairs up your current bun then you have nothing to loose and if current bun doesn't bond at least you'll know you tried :)

Hubby and I had heated debate after we lost D. D was happy being a single house rabbit, wouldn't bond with any other bun and we tried lots! When he died Gordon wanted a house rabbit. We had just got V and Gordon said lets keep him inside. I said no. He was due to be bonded with my outside trio and we owed it to him to try him with company. Gordon said he didn't want two rabbits indoors. I said well in that case he MUST go outside and be bonded with the group. We now have meg. V and meg live inside lol

I don't live with him it's my parents I have to answer to haha but I wouldn't get one and cause arguments, instead id work on him for a few weeks slowly convincing him, I just don't think it would be fair if he said no and I just went and did it :)

If they were MY rabbits and I paid for them and looked after them, and he didnt have a sensible important reason why not to get another, then yes, I would explain that they were my pets and I would get another - but this would be as a last resort after discussions and compromises hadnt worked.

If they were OUR pets and/or we shared financial responsibility for them, then I dont think I could, because its not right to burden someone else because of what you want, if they dont agree.

Why not talk to your OH about getting a bun from a rescue that is happy to take back the bun should bonding fail? That would be a pretty fail-safe way of doing it, and tackles the issue of having 3 single buns.

I definitely would not go against my partners wishes no matter how much I felt I was right. It shows lack of respect for them.

I understand your frustration but I also agree with him, what if it didn't work? Then you'd have three single rabbits. Maybe suggest a rescue pairs up your current bun then you have nothing to loose and if current bun doesn't bond at least you'll know you tried :)

Hubby and I had heated debate after we lost D. D was happy being a single house rabbit, wouldn't bond with any other bun and we tried lots! When he died Gordon wanted a house rabbit. We had just got V and Gordon said lets keep him inside. I said no. He was due to be bonded with my outside trio and we owed it to him to try him with company. Gordon said he didn't want two rabbits indoors. I said well in that case he MUST go outside and be bonded with the group. We now have meg. V and meg live inside lol

My 2 current singles are both girls and we have tried bonding 3 times and they didn't get on I wouldn't want to inflict that on them again.

If it didn't work out the newly acquired rescue bun would have to go back to the rescue.

Is there anyway she could live downstairs so she gets more interaction with you?

Louie never seems lonely at all, he isn't destructive ever and potters around really enjoying life.

Is there anyway she could live downstairs so she gets more interaction with you?

Louie never seems lonely at all, he isn't destructive ever and potters around really enjoying life.
Unfortunately not because we have Radish downstairs and we don't have space for another bun.

I really wonder if thats because Louie can't see the world like others can, i wonder if thats a contributing factor at least?

Not saying Louie isn't happy though i would never say that, he's always so happy in the pictures and little stories you tell us :)

If it was down to the welfare of my buns I would do it - but obviously not if i couldn't pay for it myself etc etc

I really wonder if thats because Louie can't see the world like others can, i wonder if thats a contributing factor at least?

Not saying Louie isn't happy though i would never say that, he's always so happy in the pictures and little stories you tell us :)

Maybe, or he could just be a happy bunny :D

Back