• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tame muntjac deer

Loosy

Warren Veteran
We have a muntjac at work who was hand-reared because his mum died when he was a baby. He's so tame and loves a fuss! At the moment he lives round the back of the cheetah enclosure but neither animal is bothered by the other. Hopefully soon he'll be allowed to roam the whole zoo.
I managed to take a few pictures today while I had a rest in the shade.

Wha's dis den?
DSC_0170.jpg

Ear scratchies
DSC_0161.jpg

And a video. Sorry for the dodgy camera angles!

I love muntjacs, they're one of the animals on my pet list that I plan on having some day :love: They're so awesome and cute!

The otter and owl sanctuary in the new forest has 2 tame deer and one is called Loki. When my mum encountered him let's just say she only left with half her park map....

I love muntjacs, they're one of the animals on my pet list that I plan on having some day :love: They're so awesome and cute!

I didn't know people kept them as pets. I can see why people would want one, this one is really friendly and was following us around while we were working :love: I imagine they would need a lot of space though.

I didn't know people kept them as pets. I can see why people would want one, this one is really friendly and was following us around while we were working :love: I imagine they would need a lot of space though.

Yep, leaf muntjac and reeves muntjac are kept (and possibly others, I'm not sure). They are very friendly and loving so they make good pets. They're a little hard to find and a tame young female will cost about $1,000. Males are slighter cheaper since they don't make as good of pets because they go into rut, but I don't think they go into rut when they're neutered. I think it's probably best to have a large enclosure for them, like what you'd have for a small goat, but a lot of people keep them indoors part of the time too. They are easily litter trained but they do love to chew so need to go out in their enclosure when they can't be supervised. This is a neat thread on a muntjac owner if you're interested :) http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9178

Back