• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Coincidence?

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Boris has chronic snuffles. Last night he for some reason got really bad, mouth-breathing and gasping for air. I had some willow twigs outside in a bucket so picked off some leaves and gave to him, mainly to tempt him to eat something as he barely touched hay or pellets. He ate some, about 5 or 6, leaving the rest to Bella.

Went to check on him 50 minutes later...and he was breathing normally. Completely relaxed, sat in his favourite spot & grooming his wife. Even ran up to the door to greet me. When an hour earlier he'd been grinding his teeth & struggling to breathe.

All I did was give him willow. Nothing else.

Coincidence or not?

Willow has natural pain relief properties. Not sure if its just the bark though.

Could have something to do with that?

Well I knew it could reduce pain & inflammation, but I thought that was just the bark. The leaves must contain some of this stuff too as that's all he had. And I doubt he could've got so much better all by himself?

If this is really what made him better I must admit that I'm amazed. He had Metacam for 10 days and that wasn't anywhere near as effective :shock:

wow - thats great! I think willow might have helped...but I also wondered if the temperature changed at all? I find with myself some days - that I find it hard to breathe and my nose gets all blocked and chest tight...then its almost ike the air cools and I can breathe easier again....just a thought:?;)

Changes in temperature AND humidity does affect him....but I seriously don't think there could've been a huge change during that short amount of time. We're talking 50 minutes here. And it was in the evening, the sun had already set. I don't know, all I know is that something made him a lot better, and I only gave him willow leaves. He hasn't been nearly as bad today but I think that's due to it being cooler and less humid. I've still given him some twigs though and he loves them! :D

I'm glad he's ok.
It would be best to take him straight to a vet though if it happens again- he might have had something obstructing his airway xx

Oh yes, I always consider it an emergency regardless of what has caused it, I'm aware that mouth-breathing is very serious. But since he has swollen nasal passages due to snuffles this is more than likely the cause :wave: Sometimes when he's had a sneezing fit he raises his head and sits like that for a few minutes before he goes back to normal. I'm not sure why he was so much worse last night, but it had been warm during the day which really affects him so I think it could've been that. He's also moulting at the moment which seems to weaken his immune system somewhat. I don't know, I just find it fascinating that the willow seemed to help, IF it actually did help....could be an alternative to Metacam which my vet will no longer let him have :roll:

Changes in temperature AND humidity does affect him....but I seriously don't think there could've been a huge change during that short amount of time. We're talking 50 minutes here. And it was in the evening, the sun had already set. I don't know, all I know is that something made him a lot better, and I only gave him willow leaves. He hasn't been nearly as bad today but I think that's due to it being cooler and less humid. I've still given him some twigs though and he loves them! :D

:wave: I thought that might be the case...and interestingly enough - Ive noticed with my own breathing...rapid changes...and mostly in the eveing too...BUT if the willow does make a difference - thats so so great!:p Mine love willow...perhaps not as much as others herbs...but they still love it.

Ive started a thread in Diet....Im really interested to know if any more plants could help...;)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...inal-herbs-tight-chests&p=5477560#post5477560

see what info we can get and learn about;)

:wave: I thought that might be the case...and interestingly enough - Ive noticed with my own breathing...rapid changes...and mostly in the eveing too...BUT if the willow does make a difference - thats so so great!:p Mine love willow...perhaps not as much as others herbs...but they still love it.

Ive started a thread in Diet....Im really interested to know if any more plants could help...;)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...inal-herbs-tight-chests&p=5477560#post5477560

see what info we can get and learn about;)

Yep I've noticed it too, I sometimes get a little snuffly myself whenever there's a temperature change! As for other plants, I've heard that plantain (not the banana :lol:) has healing properties. It's supposed to help reduce inflammation, pain and fever, and is safe for bunnies to eat :D We have loads in our garden so I'm planning on trying it at some point!

Yep I've noticed it too, I sometimes get a little snuffly myself whenever there's a temperature change! As for other plants, I've heard that plantain (not the banana :lol:) has healing properties. It's supposed to help reduce inflammation, pain and fever, and is safe for bunnies to eat :D

oooh...mine LOVE plantain...I dried a load last year - went a funny brown colour...so chucked it...but its such an easy plant to identify!

Yeah, it was actually my mum who pointed out to me while I was going on about willow that plantain was said to have the same effect....there was a topic here a few days back about it being used to prevent stasis too. A neat little herb! :D

Are you going to continue with the willow? Maybe it could help his snuffles in general, on a day-to-day basis? That'd be great :D

Yes I've been giving him a small amount daily and it seems to help :D But it's hard to tell because the weather has also been better. Today however it's been very humid outside and that usually affects him a lot, but I haven't seen any change for the worse today so I do think it's helping :D I'm just not sure how much he should have, only giving him small amounts now to be on the safe side...I'll have to research how much I can safely feed him :)

Back