• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Shocked at vets and needing advice (West Yorkshire area)

k1984

Mama Doe
Firstly I am on the hunt for a new vets to begin treatment on Dolly's awful teeth. After my vets not spotting anything despite the fact she was only spayed 3 weeks ago, I am wanting to find a good value and rabbit knowledgable vet.
Can anyone help/advise in the West Yorkshire area?

Secondly, just phoning around vets, I am very worried to find many 'recommend' teeth CLIPPING, before burring or extraction. All I've been wanting to know is expected costs, and clipping is as far as most vets are willing to go from as 'it's not usual to need burring or extraction'.

I need some seriousl help and guidance because at the moment I feel lost and a bad owner for not being able to provide the best for Dolly!!!:cry::cry::cry:

Depending which bit of West Yorkshire you are in and how far you are willing to travel - if Harrogate isn't too far you really couldn't do better than:

Frances Harcourt-Brown

http://www.crablanevets.co.uk/

The prices aren't extortionate either - she's one of the most experienced rabbit dentists there is (if not indeed the best). The last GA dental I paid for there was about £70

There's quite a few people on the forum around Wakefield/Castleford/Heckmondwike kind of area, I'm sure there's be plenty of more local recommendations too.

Can't help with vets in the area. Is it her Incisors? If so then burring is quite normal. My Herbie gets his peg tooth burred every few months after it grew back after two extractions. This only costs me £5.30, but then I am in Scotland so might be slightly dearer for you.

It is her incisors yeah. Burring is a good treatment, but that's the point I'm making...none of the vets i'm ringing are willing to do even that! Only clip!! :shock::?

Gosh I would be shocked at clipping too!!

Sorry I can't recommend anyone as I don't live near you.

I hope that someone can personally recommend an excellent vet for you and your bunny.

Best of luck.:thumb:

I would second the recommendation for Harcourt-Brown in Harrogate - and can verify that the cost is VERY reasonable - often less than others have quoted on here for standard dentals - and you can't get anyone in the area who knows more about rabbit's teeth.

There is also Northcote Vet, Otley Rd, Bradford (near Undercliffe cemetery) 01274 632222 - David has an excellent set of dental tools (according to the locums) and has done bunny dentals for me many times. He tends to clip incisors but can burr them if you ask - I had one done without sedation on a bunny who was used to it.

I would second the recommendation for Harcourt-Brown in Harrogate - and can verify that the cost is VERY reasonable - often less than others have quoted on here for standard dentals - and you can't get anyone in the area who knows more about rabbit's teeth.

And I would third it. We take Scarlet there for her dentals and it's worth the travel. She is as others have said incredibly reasonable on cost too which is a nice bonus.

I go to croft vets in Batley, they have a rabbit vet a couple of times a week called Trudy, she also works for Abbey House at their Kippax branch. Abbey is substantially more expensive than Croft, believe me Ive done both!

Croft vets are 01924 474300.

The 'ordinary' vets are also great. Harcourt brown at Harrogate is very highly thought of, just a bit far maybe with a stressed rabbit in the car

I go to croft vets in Batley, they have a rabbit vet a couple of times a week called Trudy, she also works for Abbey House at their Kippax branch. Abbey is substantially more expensive than Croft, believe me Ive done both!

Croft vets are 01924 474300.

The 'ordinary' vets are also great. Harcourt brown at Harrogate is very highly thought of, just a bit far maybe with a stressed rabbit in the car

Second this - trudie is Fab. A true rabbit savvy vet.

Back